Any good books about medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChristianTroy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished reading both of Atul Gawande's books (good reads), and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some others? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Intern by Sandeep Jauhar
Another Day in the Frontal Lobe by Katrina Firlik

Hot Lights, Cold Steel by Michael J Collins &
The Making of a Surgeon in the 21st century by Craig A Miller
I was also going to recommend Atul Gawande's Complications and Another Day in the Frontal Lobe by Firlik. I think if you enjoy one of these, you'll enjoy them all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked Complications too, it was a really interesting perspective. I just received the book Hospital by Julie Salamon for my birthday, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It just came out this year, and it looks really interesting.

I have read the books mentioned above and also recommend them. A few others are On Call by Emily Transue and Bedside Manners by David Watts. One book that really makes you think is Final Exam: A surgeon's Reflections on Mortality by Pauline Chen.

better and complications by atul gawande are both great books. Hot light cold steel is another one that was very good as previously mentioned.

The House of God by Samuel Shem (pseudonym of Stephen Bergman)

Instead of Hot Lights, I'd recommend When the Air Hits Your Brain by Frank Vertosick Jr. It was a much more enjoyable read for me.

Cause of Death: Forensic Files of a Medical Examiner by Stephen Cohle & Tobin Buhk. Great read with some really interesting cases, but unlike most of the other forensic path books, they aren't all high profile. It illuminates the more mundane ways that most people enter the morgue (heart problems or drugs/alcohol). Of course, there are some really weird stories as well haha.

How We Die, by Sherwin Nuland. There is something exquisitely elegant about Dr. Nuland's prose. Highly recommended.

I have read the books mentioned above and also recommend them. A few others are On Call by Emily Transue and Bedside Manners by David Watts. One book that really makes you think is Final Exam: A surgeon's Reflections on Mortality by Pauline Chen.

I also really like Final Exam by Pauline Chen. I believe you can find a chapter of it published by VQR. I got the article free through school library proxy.

Walk on Water by Michael Ruhlman
The Surgeons by Charles R. Morris
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

I've read a couple of the other ones. I thought Intern was so-so. Complications and Better were pretty good. Hot Lights, Cold Steel was decent. I only managed to read the first two pages of House of God...

I'm probably going to read the Nuland and Chen books before I start school. I have a stack of books that I've been dying to read, though... Kitchen Confidential, The Cake Bible, Larousse Gastronomique, The Physiology of Taste, reread Ulysses, reread Dream Songs, finish the Collected Poems of Robert Lowell... etc.

ONLY 8 WEEKS. Crap. I'm never going to finish.

I think there are several threads on this topic so it might be worthwhile to do a quick search as well. There are so many good books, but not enough time!

The Medical Detectives, Berton Roueché. i'm not sure if this one has been mentioned..but it is a cool collection of interesting epidemiological curios.
does anybody remember the episode of Scrubs that made fun of House (sort of) and had the orange guy? well, the actual case about the orange guy is in this book. plus many more!

I buy most of my books from Amazon and they typically have the preface of parts of the first chapter available to review before you buy, it's helps to get a feel for the tone of the books.

How Doctors Think by Groopman... I like his writing better than Gawande's and he brings up a lot of issues that doctors face in an honest way.