Any good books on Osteopathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rehabie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:
I am interested in studying osteopathic medicine, and so I was wondering if anyone knows any good book that I can read to get myself familarize with this field.

Members don't see this ad.

Norman Gevitz's book. I forgot the exact title so if you look up his name in amazon.com it'll pull up the titles of all his books. I believe it's called D.Os. The book gives the history as well as a good overview. It's about 200pgs. but worth reading.

Gevitz's book is a mandatory reading before any DO interview. It's very informative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Norman Gevitz:

"The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America"
ISBN: 0801843219
EDITION: 28th
FORMAT: PAP
PUBLISHER: Johns Hopkins Univ Pr
PUBLISHED: October 1, 1991

Sells from $15-$17.50

Excellent reading. Chronicles the history of the field and does a great job illustrating the early biases against Osteopathic medicine.

It also allows you to compare the similarities and differences of what Dr. Still orginally had planned for Osteopathy and what it is today.

Good luck.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 08-04-2000).]

Do any of you guys have recommendations for good clinical books about manipulation and OPP? So far I've only seen stuff about Cranial/Sacral Manipulation.

Leon Chaitow has a series of books on various areas of OMT...Muscle Energy, Positional Release, Palpatory Literacy, Cranial, etc, that are reasonably well done.

JP Barral's books on Visceral Manipulation

Phil Greenman's Principles of Manual Medicine.

DiGiovanna - An Osteopathic Approach to Dx & Treatment

The AAO has a booklist of other OMT books.

The Kuchera's have produced several books, check with KCOM bookstore.

John Upledger has written a few OMT books for the esoterically inclined.

Karel Lewit's Rehabilitation of the Locomotor
System.

Fred Mitchell three volumes on Muscle Energy are excellent.

[This message has been edited by prefontaine (edited 08-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by prefontaine (edited 08-05-2000).]

Fundamentals of Manual Therapy : Physiology, Neurology, and Psychology

by Eyal Lederman, DO

This book is written by a European DO and provides a very complete overview of maniipulative medicine from three different theoretical models. It is well-documented, and easy to read. You can order for $45.00 off of amazon.com