RNtoDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hey everyone, I am extremely interested in Osteopathic medicine. i am currently taking my pre-reqs while working as a RN in the ED. I want to follow a DO this summer and would like to get ahead by reading about DO's and their history.
Please suggest any books that can sum up what a DO is all about.
I am interested in the history as well as current day osteopaths.
thanks a bunch and study study study:)

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2002
NY
Visit site
Status
The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America
by Gevitz

Thought it had some good perspective and a lot of DO history (I knew little about DO when I started this book too). Packed with a lot of factual data. A good stepping stone IMO.

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
California
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Hey, I just finished The D.O.'s by Norman Gevitz. It's way outdated, but it has an excellent history of Ostopathic Medicine up until 1982 or so. I also read a book slanted towards pre-med students called Opportunities in Osteopathic Medicine Careers (ISBN 0-658-00186-8). Both were available at my local library. I got a copy of A.T. Still's autobiography from the UC Davis Medical School library (I work for UC Davis). the opportunities book was a little elementary, but it had lots of good and current info about osteopathic organizations, etc. There is also lots of info online. Check out http://www.aacom.org.

Good luck

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads