Any good DO literature???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am extremely interested in Osteopathic medicine. i am currently taking my pre-reqs while working as a RN in the ED. I want to follow a DO this summer and would like to get ahead by reading about DO's and their history.
Please suggest any books that can sum up what a DO is all about.
I am interested in the history as well as current day osteopaths.
thanks a bunch and study study study:)

Members don't see this ad.

The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America
by Gevitz

Thought it had some good perspective and a lot of DO history (I knew little about DO when I started this book too). Packed with a lot of factual data. A good stepping stone IMO.

Hey, I just finished The D.O.'s by Norman Gevitz. It's way outdated, but it has an excellent history of Ostopathic Medicine up until 1982 or so. I also read a book slanted towards pre-med students called Opportunities in Osteopathic Medicine Careers (ISBN 0-658-00186-8). Both were available at my local library. I got a copy of A.T. Still's autobiography from the UC Davis Medical School library (I work for UC Davis). the opportunities book was a little elementary, but it had lots of good and current info about osteopathic organizations, etc. There is also lots of info online. Check out http://www.aacom.org.

Good luck

another good book is Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress by Drs. Humphrey and Gallagher.