Any good EM autobiographies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read Just Trying to Save a Few Lives Here and enjoyed it for the most part. Now Im trying to find some more books along the same lines as that one, but there doesnt seem to be any more. I've searched Amazon, B&N, Borders, etc. Does anybody know of some good ones out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out "Other People's Blood" by some guy who works at UNM. He is a poet so it is better written than average. It's a series of vignettes of his encounters in the ED. It's perfect for EM because it's a quick read. :thumbup:

okay I was really, really off on that last post. The book title is "Blood of Strangers" by Frank Huyler. He is still a poet and he still works at UNM though.

"The Rape of Emergency Medicine" by James Keaney. This is (I guess) an adaptation of his life experiences as a EP during the establishment of the speciality and why they founded AAEM as an alternative EM organization to ACEP.

I think you can only get it from AAEM ( http://www.aaem.org )

Its a quick and easy read, although not a great work of literature, it is and VERY entertaining and informative book, and I would strongly encourage anyone pondering a career in the field to read it.