Any graduate students out there deciding to go pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawstudentdoc2b

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:clap:

Hello, I am in law school--third year--and have decided to consider changing careers and applying to med school. I am planning on taking inorganic chem this year while I am in law school, and complete the rest of the pre-med requirements within the next two years. Is there anyone else out there in a similar position--currently in another type of grad school and either considering--or deciding--to switch gears and do the pre-med requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

what made you change your mind???:confused:

I worked AT a law firm (I'm a non-lawyer) while I did my pre-meds. Whatever you do, don't be a lawyer-- they are not happy campers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell yeah. Glad to see a convert, especially from the law field. I know several doctors who were lawyers first. It can come in handy.

i just withdrew from my grad program (PhD in aquatic ecology, 1.5 yrs into it) to start the med app process. i have a sci background, and i spent some time as a pre-med in undergrad, so i don't have to go back for my pre-reqs and such. but it's been an ... interesting ... time trying to explain to people why i'm leaving "cushy" sci grad school to go thru the gauntlet that is the med school app process and med school itself. i'm just doing what makes me happy and what i enjoy. but i feel your "convert" pain. :)

do what feels right to you. that's the best advice i think anyone here can give you.

Originally posted by lawstudentdoc2b
:clap:

Hello, I am in law school--third year--and have decided to consider changing careers and applying to med school. I am planning on taking inorganic chem this year while I am in law school, and complete the rest of the pre-med requirements within the next two years. Is there anyone else out there in a similar position--currently in another type of grad school and either considering--or deciding--to switch gears and do the pre-med requirements?

I'm assuming you will finish law school with a JD. I have come across several schools that will not accept students who are currently in a grad program. They suggest either withdrawing from the program or applying after graduating.

Best of Luck to you!

Originally posted by avr
Whatever you do, don't be a lawyer-- they are not happy campers.

Kind of a gross generalization, isn't it? My Dad's a very happy legal camper! :)