Any Gross Anatomy memorization tips

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by kremer2004, Jun 6, 2000.

1. kremer2004

kremer2004 Junior Member

My name is Kremer (pronounced as if it were spelled Kramer) and I will be entering medical school in August. I am worried about all of the memorization I will encounter in anatomy. I have been looking over my atlas and each page seems like it has hundreds of arrows. Does anyone have any bizarre or unique strategies that have helped them succeed in memorizing such a large amount of information?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Cool, creative, funny & dirty mnemonics always helps me remember medical facts easier. Here is a website that might be useful for anatomy as well as other courses:
    http://www.medicalmnemonics.com./

Whatever you can do to make the info stick!!! Enjoy!!! [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS III

4. kremer2004

kremer2004 Junior Member

Future DOc,
    Thanks for the link. Mnemonics are very helpful to me and this link makes it twice as cool because I don't have to think them up, they are already in place. Its funny how funny and dirty stuff find a way to stick in my head.

5. Sherry

Sherry Member

Future DOc
    I saw your posting, checked it out and thought it was great. I added it to the "everyone" message board. Hope you don't mind. I did give you credit. Thanks!!!

6. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member

Yes dirty Mnemonics do work well.....the one I use for the branches of the Opthalmic artery is not one I'd recite in front of my Grandmother....and the site listed is really good

7. avi newman

avi newman Member

The way the brachial nerves are presented in the text-books, and where they go, is not tractable to learning. Once, however, I took the time to draw the nerves on a human being on all fours-just like Rover lives his daily life: on all fours-everything fell into place! Pun intended! There is a famous mnemonic for memorizing the cranial nerves. Guys love it! Girls say they hate it! They're lying! Keep repeating it to them, despite what they say!! They will then tell you some mnemonics about the nervous system in males you will never forget!! It's great! For me the nervous system was the key to everything else.
    Then, too, you can make up your own mnemonics. The more offensive the better. Neither you, nor your listeners, will forget them. Tell them to your friends, especially when they are eating. Little by little you will learn anatomy, and assure yourself of some commentary in the yearbook at the end of four years. T
    he Stedman's dictionary gives the word roots which makes a lot of this stuff easier. A lot of the labels in anatomy are really pretentious: the "pineal" gland. My,oh my, how scientific it sounds! Then we learn that pineal comes from the Lain for pine cone, which is the shape of the pineal gland. In medicine they expect us to wear white coats. "Pineal" goes better with a white coat than "pine cone," I guess. Oh well, when in Rome...
    Unfortunately, the day after the anatomy final everything gets forgotten. And then you start all over again. Such is life. Such is anatomy. Good luck!!!!

8. MikeS 78

MikeS 78 Senior Member

he's correct alot of anatomy sounds complicated and scientific until you find out the latin origin.......a side note purchase rohen's atlas (along with netter's) it is first rate

9. buttercup

buttercup Senior Member

ahh, and don't forget the only one us ladies hate more than the names of the cranial nerves---the one that tells you whether they are sensory, motor, or both.

10. Lt. Ub

Lt. Ub Senior Member

Wait till you go to school before you begin to worry about crap like this! Enjoy your summer while you still have one. When you get to school, just put the time in and you'll be fine!