any gunners do any prep summer post-MS1 or worthless?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if any of you did any review of 1st year material/step 1 prep work in the summer after MS1. I'm the furthest, furthest thing from a gunner, but starting to get an idea in the back of my mind that I may really like some of the ultra-competitive specialties - Coupling that with the fact that I'm not one of those naturally super brilliant types, rather someone who has to work super hard...You get my point. :) Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of Anatomy, Biochem, Histo review books/annotating FA or something like that maybe? I did horribly in Anatomy, it was our very first class - What about trying to relearn some of what I clearly did not pick up the first time - Or would that be time wasted? Any effective ways to gear up for 2nd yr/Step 1 in the summer post MS1?

Members don't see this ad.

I was curious if any of you did any review of 1st year material/step 1 prep work in the summer after MS1. I'm the furthest, furthest thing from a gunner, but starting to get an idea in the back of my mind that I may really like some of the ultra-competitive specialties - Coupling that with the fact that I'm not one of those naturally super brilliant types, rather someone who has to work super hard...You get my point. :) Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of Anatomy, Biochem, Histo review books/annotating FA or something like that maybe? I did horribly in Anatomy, it was our very first class - What about trying to relearn some of what I clearly did not pick up the first time - Or would that be time wasted? Any effective ways to gear up for 2nd yr/Step 1 in the summer post MS1?

I'd play lots of golf and take a few trips to the beach instead of studying. However, if you really want to review something, I'd recommend a little biochem and a lot of micro, particularly if you're not strong in micro. It seems to pop up in every other path and pharm lecture we have.

If you have had any path in first year (ie you're in a systems curriculum)...then listening to Goljan while running or whatever isn't a bad idea. Sitting down w/ books and going through the basic sciences w/o having had the bulk of Pathology and understanding of some clinical medicine would be pretty worthless during that summer IMO....you won't be able to see the big picture yet and will be wasting your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
i plan on goin over BRS physio..and maybe RR biochem..and then doin the Q's from those books when i actually study for boards during 2nd year...

i took the time to travel and enjoy life. however, there are always those who love to unnecessarily torture themselves.

-plmp

your summer post-M1 is probably best spent doing research, if you have any idea what field you want to go into.

unless you need the break, then go to hawaii or something.

studying 2nd year stuff will be very low yield...relax or do research.