Any Habitat for Humanity volunteers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Musty Goose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get know the experiences people have had with volunteering with habitat.

Were you actively involved or was it something where you only met a few times out of the month? I saw there is also possibility to join committees, how are those? Did your decisions really matter? I really want to join but I'm sort of skeptical that there won't be enough opportunities for me to be actively involved or that I might find it boring (I've had bad experiences). Also, if you've interviewed at med schools, did adcoms bring it up?

Feel free to just describe your experience along with what you did, whether you liked it or not, and if you would recommend it to a friend. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just go to a couple meetings and a work day. I think my school has at least one per month. Anytime you get on board for these clubs you have say in what the club does at the school because they are usually fairly small scale. Can be some great leadership points on your application.

I was and still am a Habitat for Humanity volunteer. I have always had great experiences working with Habitat--meeting new people, learning new trades, but above all, truly helping those in need. I often got to work with the future homeowners, as they are required to work a certain # of hours on their own home, which always made those experiences more meaningful. I definitely included it in my AMCAS and I was asked about my volunteering in interviews, and I definitely was able to speak to my experiences with Habitat. I would recommend it for sure!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to get know the experiences people have had with volunteering with habitat.

Were you actively involved or was it something where you only met a few times out of the month? I saw there is also possibility to join committees, how are those? Did your decisions really matter? I really want to join but I'm sort of skeptical that there won't be enough opportunities for me to be actively involved or that I might find it boring (I've had bad experiences). Also, if you've interviewed at med schools, did adcoms bring it up?

Feel free to just describe your experience along with what you did, whether you liked it or not, and if you would recommend it to a friend. Thanks

I almost randomly volunteer with Habitat. I most certainly included it on my AMCAS and talked about it in interviews. I love volunteering with them, 'specially cause they force homeowners to volunteer. I didn't join my school's Habitat club for 2 reasons though.

1) Where I was at, it was pretty simple to get involved with Habitat and volunteer without spending 20 bucks to join a club and deal with drama.
2) I honestly can't say I enjoyed meeting the people at my school's club. I just liked volunteering and giving my time to Habitat.

Even now, while not in school, I volunteer with Habitat whenever work/traveling for interviews doesn't interfere. I love it. Can't say that enough.

So what were the tasks you guys were given? Besides just building houses.

Where I live now, it's construction sites. Pretty much hammering stuff, wood work, ect. Building house stuff. Where I went to school, it was re-stores. Basically you are the stocking clerk/sorter. Other volunteers have been required to be a secretary of sorts. Pretty much, you can easily find your niche. Also, since i went to school in a well developed area, we also helped break down local conventions and collect donations. That was an absolute blast.

I got to play with a surprising amount of power tools.

If you decide to do it, I'd suggest bringing a friend. Where I volunteered, the shifts are 8 hours and it can drag on at times if you come alone, especially since most of the other volunteers were old men.

I got to play with a surprising amount of power tools.

If you decide to do it, I'd suggest bringing a friend. Where I volunteered, the shifts are 8 hours and it can drag on at times if you come alone, especially since most of the other volunteers were old men.

Hahah i just got used to the fact that I'm surrounded by old men here. My entire town is old. Power tools are fun though, even if I nearly twisted my hand off with a drill :eek:

So it seems only restores are near where I live, construction sites seem to bit far. So how active are volunteers at restores? Fun or no?

I've volunteered with Habitat with some of my student orgs. Besides being a good experience resume-wise, it's pretty fun and stress-relieving. My city has a lot of Saturday morning builds, so it's nice to get up early and spend a few hours with power tools. I agree with the above posters though; bring a friend.

^ this. Nothing like smashing in nails, drilling stuff, and sawing stuff to take the edge off. I am a Habitat volunteer and a leader on a university chapter. The volunteering time counts but in my area Habitat needs funds too so being on the business end of fundraising is important too and I felt I had something to offer.

Another +1 for Habitat. It's so much fun and is a nice break from classes/all that jazz - focus your stress on hammering in nails, lifting and working and you'll quickly find how insignificant some of your problems become in contrast.

I've also been on a few alternative break trips involving Habitat - if you have these, they are a good way to fit in travel/exploring a new area while still serving and meeting students you might not ever meet in other settings. And if not, you can always gauge interest in your local group of students and plan something as well :)

I almost randomly volunteer with Habitat. I most certainly included it on my AMCAS and talked about it in interviews. I love volunteering with them, 'specially cause they force homeowners to volunteer. I didn't join my school's Habitat club for 2 reasons though.

1) Where I was at, it was pretty simple to get involved with Habitat and volunteer without spending 20 bucks to join a club and deal with drama.
2) I honestly can't say I enjoyed meeting the people at my school's club. I just liked volunteering and giving my time to Habitat.

Even now, while not in school, I volunteer with Habitat whenever work/traveling for interviews doesn't interfere. I love it. Can't say that enough.

can definitely relate to this...volunteering is supposed to be about serving the actual community and making some positive contributions with your time and energy...not dealing with premed gunners who just show up for the hours and do everything they can to milk a good activity dry

now, there's nothing particularly wrong with the above, because i am sure many of us do it to some extent. but from my experience the volunteering clubs at my undergrad served no other purpose than giving a few students an empty leadership role that they abuse on their apps...those clubs dont do anything that can't be accomplished by just individuals...they add nothing

I wanted to volunteer for Habitat after college since I genuinely enjoy DIY and working with tools at home. I called the local branch, and they said they only accept groups (8+ people or something like that) and not individual volunteers for projects. They only accept individual volunteers for their 'shop', if anyone knows what I am talking about. I was really bummed out.

can definitely relate to this...volunteering is supposed to be about serving the actual community and making some positive contributions with your time and energy...not dealing with premed gunners who just show up for the hours and do everything they can to milk a good activity dry

now, there's nothing particularly wrong with the above, because i am sure many of us do it to some extent. but from my experience the volunteering clubs at my undergrad served no other purpose than giving a few students an empty leadership role that they abuse on their apps...those clubs dont do anything that can't be accomplished by just individuals...they add nothing

Yup. I avoided most clubs for that reason. I did join the running club though. My problem with the Habitat club was that it was full of hipsters, who if you did not agree with every one of their views, you were evil. I was a chemistry major... woops. I just avoided it and volunteered my time responsibly.

Habitat sounds like a blast. I was looking into this before, but I let it get pushed to the back burner. How do the alternative break trips work? Is it like Katrina/Sandy cleanup kinda stuff?

Habitat sounds like a blast. I was looking into this before, but I let it get pushed to the back burner. How do the alternative break trips work? Is it like Katrina/Sandy cleanup kinda stuff?

You'll travel as a group to a location and do Habitat volunteering at that place. The Habitat work depends on what needs to be done at the time - I've done everything from use power tools to help build a floor to interior trim work with nails and paint. Not really cleanup, but you'll be helping on the house projects they have, wherever you may be.

And they're always up for having volunteers - it's an amazing time, plus you get to explore somewhere new! If you have the time, I definitely recommend looking into if your school has groups that do this.