Any half Chinese/half Taiwanese premeds from Dyker Heights, Brooklyn out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtleboard

SDN Advisor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The boards are getting to me. Forgive me for this (and another on the first ER episode of the new season) ridiculous post.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by turtleboard:
•The boards are getting to me. Forgive me for this (and another on the first ER episode of the new season) ridiculous post.•

Okay, how about half Japanese from Omaha, Nebraska--currently in Oregon, born in Anchorage.

I have a friend in Jackson Heights.
Is that close enough? ;)

--kris

How about a Taiwanese Occupational Therapist and Taiwanese PGY-1 living thirty minutes from New York? Does that count too? :confused: By the way, did I mention that Connecticut is the Center of the Universe? :D :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Tim,

I'm half Chinese and half Taiwanese too. We just finished the first year at Buffalo. Good luck on the boards!

Wiggy

Wiggy,

Congratulations on finishing first-year. Life starts going downhill from here. ;)

Do you know a MS2 by the name of Howard Hao (Taiwanese)? He and I went through high school together.

Originally posted by Stinky Tofu:
•How about a Taiwanese Occupational Therapist and Taiwanese PGY-1 living thirty minutes from New York? Does that count too? :confused: By the way, did I mention that Connecticut is the Center of the Universe? :D :p

Sure, although if you're 100% Taiwanese (don't get me started on this, Stinky :)), you better prove it to me by finding a good Taiwanese restaurant in CT. Being only a half-breed, at least I can find a GREAT restaurant right here in the city.

Forgive my ignorance of Chinese culture (although I'm Cantonese myself) but do people make a big distinction between Mainland Chinese and Taiwanese Chinese? It seems to me the distinction is cultural/policial/geographical rather than genetic. It would be like saying I'm half-Californian and half-New Yorker. Not what I'd call a "half-breed."

In a strict ethnic sense there's really no difference between Chinese and Taiwanese cultures. The foods are very similar, if not the same, the Taiwanese language is a derivative of several Min Chinese dialects (although the official language of Taiwan is still Mandarin Chinese), and roughly 80% of Taiwanese people are actually ethnically Chinese. :) I routintely introduce myself as being "Chinese," but only make that extra effort when I'm trying to kill a point. :)

That's my belief at least. If you ask some more hard-core Taiwanese kids, they'll say they're 100% Taiwanese even though they only speak Mandarin Chinese (if any language other than English at all), know nothing about the aboriginal culture, and their parents were born on the mainland. I've known some Taiwanese kids to call themselves "part Japanese." "Why?" I've asked, and their reply was due to the Japanese occupation of the island they've got some Japanese blood in them somewhere. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight... I'm not saying it's impossible, but pretty rare as far as I'm concerned.

The Chinese people are very territorial and tend toward their own. It's like New Yorkers seeking only other New Yorkers at a gathering of Americans, but probably more intense. It's a little on the silly side. Even within the Cantonese community of New York City, the people of Hong Kong will say bad things about the Mainland Cantonese. The Mainland Cantonese from Guangzhou (Canton) will say bad things about the people of the outlying villages. The outlying villages (Taishan (Toisan), Kaiping (Hoiping), etc.) will say bad things about everybody else. In Taiwan the aboriginals are viewed as inferior to the ethnic Chinese.

But the same situation exists in the US. Will a New Yorker have a problem with someone from 'Bama? Sure. Will Louisiannans think New Yorkers are snobs? Yes. Will Californians think the people of the East Coast are too smart? Yep. :)

By the way, my other half is Cantonese. :) Got all the bases covered baby!

I'll post a more on the subject later. I'm not exactly an expert on Taiwanese history considering that I came to the US one year after I was born.

Anyway, I did a search on Taiwanese history and this is the first link that came up:

History of Taiwan

There are 4 groups in Taiwan:

1. Aborigines (Pre-historic times)
2. Hakka Taiwanese (Since 1000 A.D.)
3. Fukien Taiwanese (Since 1000 - 1500 A.D.)
4. Mainlanders (Since 1949)

The first three groups definitely do not considers themselves Chinese since they have lived in Taiwan for over 1000 years.

•Will a New Yorker have a problem with someone from 'Bama? Sure•

Hey Turtle! I'm from 'Bama; you got a problem with ME?! ;)

Taiwan's population is usually divided into four ethnic groups. The aborigines, or earliest inhabitants, are considered to be of Malay or Polynesian origin based on their languages and culture. They comprise less than 2 percent of the population. There are two groups of early Chinese immigrants or "Taiwanese." The first, the Hakka, came from south China near Hong Kong. The second, the Fukienese, came from China's Fukien Province directly across the Taiwan Strait. Together they comprise 85 percent of the population, with the latter outnumbering the former by two or three to one. The fourth group is comprised of Chinese from various parts of China who came to Taiwan after World War II, mostly in 1949 after the defeat of the Nationalists. They comprise just under 15 percent of the population. They are referred to as "mainlanders."

Most of the Taiwanese people I know consider themselves to be Taiwanese. The history, politics, food, economics, etc. of Taiwan is very different from China. In fact, many people from Taiwan have a very negative view of people from Mainland China.

Things are different in the US because many people who are Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, Japanese, etc. are second or third generation and really don't know the history or care about what happened in the past. The reason that I identify myself as Taiwanese is mainly because most of the older generation has pounded it into our heads to make a distinction between the two groups. Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Taiwanese people do have common ancestors. But just as you would say someone from Korea is Korean and not Chinese, most Taiwanese want to be recognized as Taiwanese and not Chinese. The native language of Taiwan is actually Taiwanese, Fujanese (sp?), and various other dialects. When Japan ruled Taiwan and when the Mainlanders who fought communsim came to Taiwan, they forced everyone in Taiwan to learn Japanese and the Mandarin Chinese.

Now there is a movement in Taiwan to return to its roots and many people are learning Taiwanese again. Parents are forcing their kids to learn and speak Taiwanese. The new President is originally from Taiwan and his selection sent political shockwaves throughout Taiwan and China.

Anyway, I'm sure most people don't care and I think the difference is only important to Taiwanese people. You have to realize that Taiwan considers China its enemy and the mainlanders who did come to Taiwan, took control of the island and robbed the native Taiwanese of most of their land. They also forced them to learn Mandarin Chinese and banned the use of Taiwanese. All this happened only fifty years ago so it is relatively recent. These are just a few of the reason that I've come to understand as to why Chinese and Taiwanese people don't get along. It's like calling Michael Jordan a New York Knick. What's the difference? The Knick, The Bulls, aren't they both basketball teams? ;)

The mainlanders in Taiwan also don't get along with the people from China. They fought against communism in China and left for Taiwan after their defeat.

Also, any opinions stated here is just my own opinion. These are just my interpretations of the Taiwanese and Chinese relationship as I've experienced it in SoCal and what I've been told over the years. Orange County seems to be where a majority of Taiwanese people decide to live, so these issues seem to be more important there.

•Sure, although if you're 100% Taiwanese (don't get me started on this, Stinky :)), you better prove it to me by finding a good Taiwanese restaurant in CT. Being only a half-breed, at least I can find a GREAT restaurant right here in the city.•

My ancestors have been in Taiwan longer than the US has been in existence. :) Doesn't that qualify me as being 100% Taiwanese? :D

Hmm....good point. There are no Taiwanese restaurants in CT. I've asked too!!! The Asian markets stink!! I miss 99 Ranch Market in California. Do I really have to head to the Evil City for Taiwanese food?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just buy Chinese grocery on-line. Try e-99, gong-shee.com, and other Asian ethnic grocers from sina.com

Pei
100% Cantonese, "made in Taiwan."

Hey Tim,

I know Howie. He's pretty cool. Did you go to Brooklyn Tech and/or RIT too? I think he's scheduled to take the boards on June 29. When are you taking the boards?

I'm leaving for tw this Friday. I'm thinking of going to NTU medical school for an away rotation during 4th year. I just need to find an excuse to get out of Buffalo for a while

wiggy

Originally posted by peiyueng:
•Just buy Chinese grocery on-line. Try e-99, gong-shee.com, and other Asian ethnic grocers from sina.com

Pei
100% Cantonese, "made in Taiwan."•

Hi Pei,

I tried the store names you provided, but couldn't find the website. Could you post a direct link to the site? Thanks.

Originally posted by wiggy:
•I know Howie. He's pretty cool. Did you go to Brooklyn Tech and/or RIT too? I think he's scheduled to take the boards on June 29. When are you taking the boards?

I'm leaving for tw this Friday. I'm thinking of going to NTU medical school for an away rotation during 4th year. I just need to find an excuse to get out of Buffalo for a while

Howie and I are products of a Brooklyn Tech education. :)

Taida for an away rotation, huh? I was thinking about doing that for a while then realized that aside from "I want dinner," I can't say much else in Taiwanese. So I scrapped that plan and decided I'd spend some time in CA and see how really disgusting it is. I've got some family in San Francisco.

Anyway I'm scheduled to take the boards on the 22nd of June. I may have to push it back though, so I haven't really decided. And, no, it's not because of how studying's going... :) I'll be in Taibei for 2 weeks at the beginning of July.

Originally posted by Hercules:
•Hey Turtle! I'm from 'Bama; you got a problem with ME?! ;)

Like most people who live in the CAPITOL OF THE WORLD, I've never been to 'Bama. I hear it's kinda a pretty state, but unless I've got a mini-arsenal with me, I don't think I'd give it a go alone. I'd somewhat afraid of our smaller states. :)

I like to stay to the North and East, and occasionally head out West.

But with you, personally, I have no problem. Does that make you feel better? :)

•My ancestors have been in Taiwan longer than the US has been in existence. :) Doesn't that qualify me as being 100% Taiwanese? :D

Hmm....good point. There are no Taiwanese restaurants in CT. I've asked too!!! The Asian markets stink!! I miss 99 Ranch Market in California. Do I really have to head to the Evil City for Taiwanese food?•

Ha-ha. Looks like to Flushing you will go! Or you could always have McDonald's... Hehehe...

We (my family) don't know too many other families who have really deep roots on the island like your family. Perhaps that's another characteristic of a mainlander. :) But I suppose that would qualify you as 100% TW. Perhaps I should really be 75% Chinese/25% TW? :)

Most of the Taiwanese people I know consider themselves to be Taiwanese. The history, politics, food, economics, etc. of Taiwan is very different from China. In fact, many people from Taiwan have a very negative view of people from Mainland China.

Things are different in the US because many people who are Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, Japanese, etc. are second or third generation and really don't know the history or care about what happened in the past. The reason that I identify myself as Taiwanese is mainly because most of the older generation has pounded it into our heads to make a distinction between the two groups. Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Taiwanese people do have common ancestors. But just as you would say someone from Korea is Korean and not Chinese, most Taiwanese want to be recognized as Taiwanese and not Chinese. The native language of Taiwan is actually Taiwanese, Fujanese (sp?), and various other dialects. When Japan ruled Taiwan and when the Mainlanders who fought communsim came to Taiwan, they forced everyone in Taiwan to learn Japanese and the Mandarin Chinese.

Now there is a movement in Taiwan to return to its roots and many people are learning Taiwanese again. Parents are forcing their kids to learn and speak Taiwanese. The new President is originally from Taiwan and his selection sent political shockwaves throughout Taiwan and China.

Anyway, I'm sure most people don't care and I think the difference is only important to Taiwanese people. You have to realize that Taiwan considers China its enemy and the mainlanders who did come to Taiwan, took control of the island and robbed the native Taiwanese of most of their land. They also forced them to learn Mandarin Chinese and banned the use of Taiwanese. All this happened only fifty years ago so it is relatively recent. These are just a few of the reason that I've come to understand as to why Chinese and Taiwanese people don't get along. It's like calling Michael Jordan a New York Knick. What's the difference? The Knick, The Bulls, aren't they both basketball teams? ;)

This may be true, but this is sorta like an MD vs. DO debate. :)

Like I mentioned in one of my other posts, many of the TW families we happen to know consider themselves Chinese first. While they don't particularly have a deep love for China, they recognize that Chinese is what they ethnically are. Again, many of these families also happen to be "mainlanders" to begin with. :)

Now... Where are the Hong Kong kids who want to say they're 100% "Hongkongnese" and not really Cantonese at heart? ;)

Originally posted by peiyueng:

100% Cantonese, "made in Taiwan."•

Pei,

Do you mean you're Cantonese but you were conceived in Taiwan? :) Or do you mean you're another mainlander?

•This may be true, but this is sorta like an MD vs. DO debate. :)

Like I mentioned in one of my other posts, many of the TW families we happen to know consider themselves Chinese first. While they don't particularly have a deep love for China, they recognize that Chinese is what they ethnically are. Again, many of these families also happen to be "mainlanders" to begin with. :)

Now... Where are the Hong Kong kids who want to say they're 100% "Hongkongnese" and not really Cantonese at heart? ;)

Maybe it's just the Californian Taiwanese community that makes a big deal out of it. I remember during the census count, there were flyers that told people to put check off other and list Taiwanese for ethnicity. We were also reminded to do that by several Taiwanese elders. Several families that we know of also flew back to Taiwan just to vote for the current President!! He was the first President who wasn't a mainlander since 1949.

I think that since 1997, everyone from Hong Kong was required to proclaim China as the Supreme Ruler of the World. :D

•Maybe it's just the Californian Taiwanese community that makes a big deal out of it. I remember during the census count, there were flyers that told people to put check off other and list Taiwanese for ethnicity. We were also reminded to do that by several Taiwanese elders. Several families that we know of also flew back to Taiwan just to vote for the current President!! He was the first President who wasn't a mainlander since 1949.

I think that since 1997, everyone from Hong Kong was required to proclaim China as the Supreme Ruler of the World. :D

While I have nothing to support this, I have heard that many more Taiwanese people in CA are real Taiwanese rather than mainlanders and that many mainlanders are in NY. I'll check up on this...

I was supposed to go to Cornell for college because Lee Teng-hui went there for something.

Chen Shui-bian's visit to NY wasn't very high profile -- which is smart -- but I was hoping to see something bigger.

Tim,
I don't consider myself as a mainlander, nor Taiwanese. My grandparents are Cantonese (Toisan to be specific), and my parents grew up in Burma (the old name). I was born in Taiwan. I speak both Cantonese (Toisan hua) and Mandarin. Never set foot in mainland China. I consider myself to be Chinese, and Cantonese to be more specific.

PEI
"made in Taiwan," and eat like a Burmese

Taishan hua???

WOW! I speak that too!

Tim,
Nice. Perhaps we are related several generations back. My maiden name is Ng, which is "Wu" in Cantonese.
I don't see myself as a Taiwanese even though I was born there. With my family "multi-over-sea" history, it is hard to related oneself to his/her birthplace. It is just easier to say I'm Chinese, the origin of my ancester. It's easy to find good Chinese food here in Southern Calif, but I have yet to find a Burmese resturant, let alone a good one.

Pei

Well my last name is "Wu" because my grandfather (paternal) wanted the standard, Mandarin Chinese pronunciation and not the Cantonese pronunciation (which would be either Eng or Ng).

My family history is a little simpler than yours, I suspect. Dad's from the place of your parents and mom's from the place of Stinky's parents.

So I take it you don't have the "I like Chou Dofu" gene in you? :)

Tim,
I afraid I have that "I like chou dofu" gene. If you live in Southern Calif., I know 2 resturants that serve good "chou dofu," spicy and stinky!
Both of my grandparents (paternal and maternal) are from Toisan. I grow up eating Cantonese, Taiwanese, all sorts of Chinese (here in S. CA--), Burmese, and American foods. Wonder if you have try "liu-lian"? A tropical fruit that literally smell like soiled cat litter! A different kind of stinky from "chou dofu."

Pei

Half Korean, Half Taiwanese.