1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Hearing Impaired Medical Students?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by bluerose786, Jul 24, 2006.

1. bluerose786

bluerose786 Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey....I was wondering if there are any hearing impaired medical students on SDN? If so, can you please send me a PM or reply this post. I wanted to discuss accommodations/services that hearing impaired students may need/use in medical school. I am starting medical school in two weeks, and I have a good idea of what I may need, but I still wanted to talk with others in the same situation. Have a good day!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Paws

7+ Year Member

Hey Blue,

I am not hearing imparied but I did meet a first year resident (I guess that would be an intern?) who was rotating through when I was shadowing a physician. She was pretty terrific, and I was really floored that she was absolutely completely deaf. She had a sign person with her that the hospital had hired for her.

I thought it was a the best system having her signer being an "invisible" sort of presence. I was really glad to meet this resident, and the patients really liked her, too. :)

I am going to help "bump" this thread up so more people can keep seeing it.

4. bluerose786

bluerose786 Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks, Paws, for the encouragement! I appreciate it. I have never met a hearing impaired doctor, so it's interesting that there are a few on SDN.

5. Nightengale

Nightengale Member
    7+ Year Member

I know this question has come up before a time or two on SDN, so it'd be worth a search. Mostly questions about amplified/electric stethescopes, if I remember. I have a classmate who uses one of those.

I'm not hearing impaired, but I do have a handful of disability issues and have 3 years experience dealing with med school and accommodations. So if you have any general questions about that whole process or just to network/chat, let me know.