Any Hearing Impaired Medical Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluerose786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey....I was wondering if there are any hearing impaired medical students on SDN? If so, can you please send me a PM or reply this post. I wanted to discuss accommodations/services that hearing impaired students may need/use in medical school. I am starting medical school in two weeks, and I have a good idea of what I may need, but I still wanted to talk with others in the same situation. Have a good day!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Blue,

I am not hearing imparied but I did meet a first year resident (I guess that would be an intern?) who was rotating through when I was shadowing a physician. She was pretty terrific, and I was really floored that she was absolutely completely deaf. She had a sign person with her that the hospital had hired for her.

I thought it was a the best system having her signer being an "invisible" sort of presence. I was really glad to meet this resident, and the patients really liked her, too. :)

I am going to help "bump" this thread up so more people can keep seeing it.

Thanks, Paws, for the encouragement! I appreciate it. I have never met a hearing impaired doctor, so it's interesting that there are a few on SDN.

Paws said:
Hey Blue,

I am not hearing imparied but I did meet a first year resident (I guess that would be an intern?) who was rotating through when I was shadowing a physician. She was pretty terrific, and I was really floored that she was absolutely completely deaf. She had a sign person with her that the hospital had hired for her.

I thought it was a the best system having her signer being an "invisible" sort of presence. I was really glad to meet this resident, and the patients really liked her, too. :)

I am going to help "bump" this thread up so more people can keep seeing it.

I know this question has come up before a time or two on SDN, so it'd be worth a search. Mostly questions about amplified/electric stethescopes, if I remember. I have a classmate who uses one of those.

I'm not hearing impaired, but I do have a handful of disability issues and have 3 years experience dealing with med school and accommodations. So if you have any general questions about that whole process or just to network/chat, let me know.