Any hispanic applicants who look white and dont know what to put down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a hispanic applicant and I speak spanish but I look more like I'm white.

I put down that I'm hispanic under ethnicity and white for race, I also don't use the URM option.

I was just wondering if anyone else is like me.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=6626

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a white boy through and through, but it does bring up a good point, especially about those with Latino origin. I always think it's interesting how some more ignorant Americans are quick to assume that all Mexicans are Mexicans, whereas there is a clear differentiation in Mexico between those of Spanish (white European) heritage and those of indigenous heritage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hispanic implies Spanish descent. Maybe he she is white?

Just because I'm whiter than some white people (really, I'm not kidding), it doesn't mean I'm not Mexican-American.

To sum up Mexico's history:
Native Indians existed in Mexico.
Then the Spanish came.
Some got "mixed-up" and some never did.
That's how you have Mexicans of all possible colors, white, brown and all tones in between.

In our case (those of us who look whitish) it just means our Spanish/European genes are more abundant/dominant.

I hate it when people assume you have to be dark to be Hispanic. Go read a history book.

there are black hispanics too, mostly from the caribbean.
doesn't matter what you look like, as long as your culture/language/etc. is hispanic, you're hispanic.

If you're hispanic, you're hispanic. Simple question. The color of your skin doesn't matter. If you're white, put down Race = White, Hispanic? = Yes on AMCAS.

Killer MCAT score, BTW.

"Hispanic implies Spanish descent. Maybe he she is white?"

I was saying...........he\she might be from Spain..

This also brings up the problems with the term Hispanic. Some (AMCAS) believe it means of Spanish decent, however in reality it only refers to those coming from the island of Hispanola (Dominican Republic and Haiti). Thus, it's really a nationality rather than an ethnicity/race. So, there are white (Spanish, European decended) folks living on the island of Hispanola and are therefore "Hispanic," and there are Black (of African decent) living there as well, and comprise the majority, and are also technically "Hispanic." There aren't any "indigenous" (really Native American - recall there were a whole lot of people here before Columbus came) people still on the island of Hispanola because the Spaniards wiped out the entire population by quite literally working them to death, and in the process committed a genocide (a sad, but true reality that the History books like to glaze over). In South America/Mexico, you have whites, mestizos (white/indigenous or black/indigenous or white/black), indigenous peoples (Native Americans from South America), and blacks as well. Of course things don't help that countries like Brazil have over 20 races depending on your skin color...

Oh what a modernist ideal to attempt to classify everyone...

Well Hispanic implies Spain because that word is inside the word at least in general use.

Latino, I think is more of a political term and ethnic term jsut as Chicano is a political term.

I could be wrong. This is jsut what my Spanish teachers tell me lol

Well Hispanic implies Spain because that word is inside the word at least in general use.

Latino, I think is more of a political term and ethnic term jsut as Chicano is a political term.

I could be wrong. This is jsut what my Spanish teachers tell me lol

Right, but the ridiculousness of it is that a Mayan arriving from Guatemala with Spanish blood would be called "Hispanic" in the U.S.

But don't worry or get hung up on it for AMCAS. Do what you identify with.

Right, but the ridiculousness of it is that a Mayan arriving from Guatemala with Spanish blood would be called "Hispanic" in the U.S.

But don't worry or get hung up on it for AMCAS. Do what you identify with.

If you want to get that technical then go ahead and confuse yourself...

Hispanic implies Spanish/from Spanish descendance.
Technically, I have Spanish genes so I'm Hispanic...I don't like the term "Latino" either, it seems to me to have a negative connotation, plus, again, if you want to get technical, I don't speak Latin and there isn't a country called "Latinia" or anything similar.

I tried to explain my roomate the other day that many Hispanic/Latino people are part-white (some more white than others) and she looked at me like I was crazy.

Again people, go read a history book.

Oops, I meant to say a a Mayan without Spanish blood. Anyway, you really feel like Latino has a negative connotation? I would say in academic circles, it's the more current P.C. term than Hispanic. There is of course no country called Latina; the term Latino is used to refer to Central/South Americans rather than Hispanic to account for Brazil which is Portugese rather than Spanish.

Members don't see this ad :)
well im white of italian background and i look hispanic. not that it makes any difference.

"Hispanic implies Spanish/from Spanish descendance.
Technically, I have Spanish genes so I'm Hispanic...I don't like the term "Latino" either, it seems to me to have a negative connotation, plus, again, if you want to get technical, I don't speak Latin and there isn't a country called "Latinia" or anything similar. "

Latino doesn't imply the language of Latin it imples a political affiliation with Latin America

Technically, I have Spanish genes so I'm Hispanic...I don't like the term "Latino" either, it seems to me to have a negative connotation, plus, again, if you want to get technical, I don't speak Latin and there isn't a country called "Latinia" or anything similar. "

Latino doesn't imply the language of Latin it imples a political affiliation with Latin America

I know that. I was getting technical with the term, just like somebody did with "Hispanic." Relax.

I put down that I'm hispanic under ethnicity and white for race, I also don't use the URM option.

HA! This is pretty much my scenario. My full name is half english, half spanish, just like my genetic makeup (they call us coyote where I come from.) While I'm the darkest complected of my siblings, I still look very caucasian. I always put hispanic for ethnicity and white for race. I didn't mark that I was an underrepresented minority either. Also, it gets fuzzy because my mother is of New Mexico hispanic decent. People don't seem to understand this. They think if you are a hispanic in the US, you must be 1st/2nd generation...not true. Her family has lived here for over 300 years, before that Mexico, before that Spain. I usually give the entire spiel, then let the interviewer decide. Oh yeah, we also speak spanish at home.

Um, why do you think it's called Latin America?

LATINAs are hot! Aren't they? ;)

What is your image of a "latina" girl?

Remember, they could be black or brown or white or anything in between. Seems to me that when people hear "latina" they automatically think "Jennifer Lopez." Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo stereotypes!:mad:

Remember, they could be black or brown or white or anything in between. Seems to me that when people hear "latina" they automatically think "Jennifer Lopez." Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo stereotypes!:mad:

Indeed. I hate to sound overly P.C. but let's watch out for objectification. I took a very interesting course on the over-sexualization of the Mestiza.

Hmm Jews and Latinas just seem better looking than the average girl. That's just the way it is!

Hmm Jews and Latinas just seem better looking than the average girl. That's just the way it is!

lol.

Thanks for he replies everyone!

I don't agree with this URM thing being for only mexicans and puerto ricans, I would say that colombians and cubans are also not fully represented, though I don't think this unfair hospitality extends to hispanics with white skin. The whole URM thing seems to be a little racist because it causes people to think about their race when they should be thinking more about their MCAT scores, GPA and reasons for going into medical school.

By the way, Latin girls are the best! lol.

I agree!

Hot White Cuban = Cameron Diaz
Hot Amerindian Cuban = Vida Guerra
Hot Black Cuban = Christina Milian

My favorite Cuban, though, is my mom :love:

having lived in miami the past 3 years, i can definitely agree with the fact that hispanic girls are amazingly beautiful.

back to the topic, though, i'm pale as hell, but full-blooded "mexican". (parents born in mexico). trying to iron out all the technicalities is just begging for an argument, though. generalizations are poopy, too.

my 2 cents.

having lived in miami the past 3 years, i can definitely agree with the fact that hispanic girls are amazingly beautiful.

back to the topic, though, i'm pale as hell, but full-blooded "mexican". (parents born in mexico). trying to iron out all the technicalities is just begging for an argument, though. generalizations are poopy, too.

my 2 cents.

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately it's part of the culture and the whole stereotyping habit.

I'm also a full-blooded "Mexican" and so are my parents...but just saying "Mexican" is very vague, since again, "Mexican" is NOT A RACE.

So, next time people ask me what I am (I get anything from..."are you a dark-haired white...or a very light-skinned hispanic?" to "so, are you italian?")...I'll just reply: "Um...I'm HUMAN."

Mexican would refer to someone who is from Mexico. Latino or Hispanic would be more vague than Mexican.
It's like the difference between someone saying they're European vs. French.

Mexican would refer to someone who is from Mexico. Latino or Hispanic would be more vague than Mexican.
It's like the difference between someone saying they're European vs. French.

Obviously, but it's just as vague, since a Mexican can be of any color. Mexican just designates a nationality, like saying "I'm an American".

And Hispanic/Latino aren't races either. Yet people assume people of that background look a certain way.

That's why they have those designations saying "Black, Hispanic" or "white, Hispanic" or "Hispanic, other" because saying just Hispanic doesn't cover it.

on my tmdsas and aacomas i put white for race and mexican-american for ethnicity. but i am hispanic. i agree about hispanic/latina/whatever women being hot (you outta see 'em in mexico and on tv on univision). but the fact of the matter remains i just cannot live without my white women :D :D :D !

Ive thought about this subject, too, even though I wont be applying for a few years. My last name is spanish. My family came from spain to mexico, and my grandfather spoke spanish as his first language when he grew up in texas. I also happen to have blue eyes, blonde hair, and very pale skin. But, technically, I think that I am hispanic if hispanic means of spanish/mexican descent. But Im afraid that if i mark that, the interviewers would think im crazy. People are always saying stuff like, oh, you have a spanish last name, is your husband mexican? and im like, um, im not married, thats MY name. But I agree with above posters, that I will probably mark both hispanic and white, and if anyone has any questions, I will just explain for the 100th time in my life :)

Seems like there needs to be another race other than black and white and that's brown. The only question is how many people would choose to mark brown?

Interestingly, it also seems that folks are selecting their race in large part on phenotype instead of genotype. Or perhaps the "one drop of brown blood" makes you brown "rule" doesn't apply here as it does with the "one drop black" rule.:confused:

PS- ¡La abuela de mi abuelo es de España pero soy un americano negro orgulloso!!!!

About 50 percent of Hispanics are like you according to the census... :laugh:
According to the census Hispanics In the U.S are about 50 percent white, 47 percent other(mixed race or Amerindian), and 3 percent black...
What you did is right b/c that is precisely what you are :cool:

ONCE and for all people understand what this is... RACE and ETHNICITY are TWOOOOOOo very different things. The word Hispanic to me is a dirty nasty WORD... it was invented by the NIXON administration as a way to combat AA... Now the comment I just made is true but it doesn't mean it is totally negative... For this specific reason, Latin Americans have had it bad too in certain respects for certain groups.

I am Cuban / Italian and I can totally comment on the subject. My fater was what is know as "MULATTO" which means a mixture of white black and whatever else needs to be thrown in there. IN CUBA... this is darn near the majority of people... HOWEVER... if you come here to Miami you would think Cubans where "white people" When the truth is they aren't all white, far from it. Now, my mother being Italian, 2nd generation, I come out looking like I do... if you'd like to see, www.myspace.com/cxm... My point to all of this is this... I am going to have an easier time in society than a black person... LETS be HONEST... but, for those who are out there and race is race to them, I am going to have my troubles here and there. AMCAS knows this, which I am actually happy about because a "WHITE" mexican or Cuban or whatever is freaking WHITE CAUCASIAN... there is not going to be discrimination to them... I mean yea the accent might be a knock but from a white person to a white person you are a WHITE PERSON... NO need to be considered a URM...

I think what you did is the best thing you can do and is honest...

As well I like your stats and I wanted to know if you were like me and messed up during your freshman year? hahahahahaah

ONCE and for all people understand what this is... RACE and ETHNICITY are TWOOOOOOo very different things. The word Hispanic to me is a dirty nasty WORD... it was invented by the NIXON administration as a way to combat AA... Now the comment I just made is true but it doesn't mean it is totally negative... For this specific reason, Latin Americans have had it bad too in certain respects for certain groups.

I am Cuban / Italian and I can totally comment on the subject. My fater was what is know as "MULATTO" which means a mixture of white black and whatever else needs to be thrown in there. IN CUBA... this is darn near the majority of people... HOWEVER... if you come here to Miami you would think Cubans where "white people" When the truth is they aren't all white, far from it. Now, my mother being Italian, 2nd generation, I come out looking like I do... if you'd like to see, www.myspace.com/cxm... My point to all of this is this... I am going to have an easier time in society than a black person... LETS be HONEST... but, for those who are out there and race is race to them, I am going to have my troubles here and there. AMCAS knows this, which I am actually happy about because a "WHITE" mexican or Cuban or whatever is freaking WHITE CAUCASIAN... there is not going to be discrimination to them... I mean yea the accent might be a knock but from a white person to a white person you are a WHITE PERSON... NO need to be considered a URM...

As well I like your stats and I wanted to know if you were like me and messed up during your freshman year? hahahahahaah

...and that is sadly true. :love:

I guess it's because I live in San Antonio where most people are hispanic, but I just don't see how being of dark skin would lead to any harm. I figured the URM designation was made up for the sake of promoting people of different races or ethnic backgrounds into the professions. It's more of an attempt to close the gap between certain groups. I don't think it is fair, which is why I do not claim to be URM.

I did have a little trouble a few years ago with my grades. lol.

Y tambien no tengo duda que hay gente que quieren parecer como URM pero no sabe hablar en espanol. Cuando se habla en ingles y se usa "mira" y "AY", no es hablar en espanol. jejejee. Mi madre me enseno espanol y tambien he leyedo libros pero nunca he estudiado espanol en la escuela o universidad. Espero que si alguien se considere como URM, por lo menos sea capaz de hablar en espanol.

Y tambien no tengo duda que hay gente que quieren parecer como URM pero no sabe hablar en espanol. Cuando se habla en ingles y se usa "mira" y "AY", no es hablar en espanol. jejejee. Mi madre me enseno espanol y tambien he leyedo libros pero nunca he estudiado espanol en la escuela o universidad. Espero que si alguien se considere como URM, por lo menos sea capaz de hablar en espanol.

Non-URMs who speak spanish are sought after by ADCOMs, too. It's a good skill to have.

I guess it's because I live in San Antonio where most people are hispanic, but I just don't see how being of dark skin would lead to any harm. I figured the URM designation was made up for the sake of promoting people of different races or ethnic backgrounds into the professions. It's more of an attempt to close the gap between certain groups. I don't think it is fair, which is why I do not claim to be URM.

I did have a little trouble a few years ago with my grades. lol.

Do you know what I hate the most?

SPANGLISH.

Please, speak one language at a time!
Utilize solo un lenguaje a la vez por favor.

:rolleyes:

Non-URMs who speak spanish are sought after by ADCOMs, too. It's a good skill to have.

Yes! I'm guaranteed admission!
jajajaja

BTW, speaking of Spanglish, that was a great movie. Tea Leoni's character was incorigible.

Do you know what I hate the most?

SPANGLISH.

Please, speak one language at a time!
Utilize solo un lenguaje a la vez por favor.

:rolleyes:

don't hate, me gusta using more than one idioma a la vez, because I can.

Yes! I'm guaranteed admission!
jajajaja

BTW, speaking of Spanglish, that was a great movie. Tea Leoni's character was incorigible.

Never seen it.

I don't watch movies that help perpetuate stereotypes....Mexican girl is a maid (give me a new storyline please!!!). Mexican guy is a gardener. Mexican people have an accent/don't speak English.

I just arrived to this country 5 years ago from Mexico, I'm not illegal and I'm a freaking college student, darn it. :mad:

Anyway, my point was, I hate stereotyping.

TexasFool said:
don't hate, me gusta using more than one idioma a la vez, because I can.

So can I, yet you will never hear me using Spanglish. I still don't like it.

Never seen it.

I don't watch movies that help perpetuate stereotypes....Mexican girl is a maid (give me a new storyline please!!!). Mexican guy is a gardener. Mexican people have an accent/don't speak English.

I just arrived to this country 5 years ago from Mexico, I'm not illegal and I'm a freaking college student, darn it. :mad:

Anyway, my point was, I hate stereotyping.

O, and to Texas Fool....

So can I, yet you will never hear me using Spanglish. I still don't like it.

I never used spanglish except for that joke, I used correct spanish before. Show me where I used spanglish.

Oooh, throw down. Who is the better Latino?

Don't make me bust out my german too! :D

I'll mix three languages this time.

I never used spanglish except for that joke, I used correct spanish before. Show me where I used spanglish.

You used English and Spanish words in the same sentence when you didn't have to (these words have a proper equivalent in English, as opposed to say "waffles", which is inexistent in Spanish). There you go.

("don't hate, me gusta using more than one idioma a la vez, because I can.")

PS. When I made my original "I hate SPANGLISH" post, I wasn't talking directly to you (sorry if it looked like I was, because I quoted you). I know you didn't use Spanglish prior to that post. I was just directing myself to all the readers that I wanted to announce to the world how much I hate Spanglish.