1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Any hope at this late date?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Green6936, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Green6936

Green6936 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am still waiting to hear from 4 schools. NYCOM, DeBusk, WVCOM, Pikesville, and i'm on the waiting list for an interview at AZCOM. It's getting so late in the game, are they just putting me off or might I still get an interview?

2. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know that AZCOM has invited a few new people from their pre-interview wait list, but you may be interviewing for a wait list admissions spot.

Why not email/call the admissions director and convince them they should interview you - couldn't hurt this late in the game. I sent a long email to the director asking them to move my interview date from Mid March to early Feb. and explained why I thought I was a valuable applicant.

They moved my interview up by 6 weeks and I was accepted. Over-all, they seemed very receptive to my email.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Without direct feedback from the adcoms of these schools, it's not possible to say with certainty; check with them, if possible. However, it's not over until it's over. You never know what could happen. With that said, don't hold out for these schools, either. Start making preparation for reapplication, get feedback on what needs to be addressed in your package, and get the ball rolling. It's never too early to improve your application, if you haven't yet received an acceptance at this time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. scdocusc

2+ Year Member

to the OP when did you apply to those schools listed?

5. OP
    OP
    Green6936

Green6936 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I completed my secondaries in November/December.

6. Lamont

Lamont Neverending Storyteller
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you need to assess how competitive you are in comparison to the applied schools average accepted student, or at least people who are getting interviews/acceptances. be realistic about this. do you have some good extracurriculars and clinical experience? I found that these really helped secure my acceptance (I applied in november, accepted in early feb..thank god). Another thing is to make sure all of your materials arrived at each school (obviously if they didn't, you didn't complete your application). I agree w/ spicedmama...start prepping for the next round of applications, retake the MCAT if needed, get your next round of letters ready now so that your writers have time. Submit the primary app by the end of may. I imagine you will be in possession of several acceptance letters, especially if you show the dedication and effort showing that you truly want to be a physician. I would also start writing a new personal statement now so that you can improve that area of the app...while its mostly minor in the grand scheme of things, a strong PS leads to a better complete application and, in some cases, easy interview questions. those are my 2 cents, best of luck

7. scdocusc

2+ Year Member

is it required that you get new letters of rec from professors? I'm not in school anymore and it seems like it would be rediculous to have to get a new round of letters. I was thinking of just getting a new letter from another D.O.

8. DocNess

Pre-Medical
    I just received an interview invite from NYCOM and scheduled my interview for March 27th. I just wanted to give people hope that they are still in the process of interviewing. Good Luck to all of you.

9. Lamont

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    some schools still have spots, so don't give up hope...just be realistic and understand that you have much better odds for next year. best of luck! :thumbup:

10. Kappy1

Kappy1 Bleach and Glass Cleaner
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Did you send out a letter from a DO to NYCOM? NYCOM I know doesn't require one, but if you could get one from DO that went to the school it may get you the interview. The same may be true for the other schools but I'm not sure. Good Luck!!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

11. CatsandCradles

CatsandCradles SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Hi Green!

I go to WVSOM, I still do occasionally see the admission group everynow and then taking interviewed students on a tour. So I imagine there are at least some spots left.

And keep in mind some people are waiting until the very very last moment to decide. So some maybe pulling out of WVSOM, and others are trying to pull in.

The same can be said for the other schools. Just hang in there, NYCOM, AZCOM, DeBusk, and Pikesville are all great schools too. And spots will open up at the very last moment I am sure - and they'll call you for an interview.

I wish you the best.

12. OP
    OP
    Green6936

Green6936 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the replies! I talked to WV today and I also sent a letter of update. The woman said my file was reviewed but they could not make a decision. She made a note in my file that I called and am still interested so I hope that helps. It sounds like such a great school!! Are you enjoying it Cats?

13. MD/DO ALMOST

2+ Year Member

there is always hope...

14. CatsandCradles

CatsandCradles SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Your doing the right thing calling up the admission's office. Make sure you do that for all the schools you are holding out for because things can get backlogged at schools really easily- and they'll need to know who's still interested and who is not.

Hang in there! :luck:

15. Lamont

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would call DCOM and talk to Paul or Jody if possible. They are super nice and they might be able to shed some light on your situation. See if they can help fill you in on the process, since I know they are about to start pulling people off the waitlist (april 1st, correct me if im wrong). Some people who are acccepted there will end up taking other acceptances due to the newness of the school so dont give up, I expect them to have a pretty active wait list. If you know there is one school that is above and beyond the others, you should consider sending a letter of intent detailing why you want to go there. Best of luck to you, if you have to wait a year just remember that its worth it in the end. Helping people for many years is worth waiting for one more, you have made it this far already so don't get discouraged.

16. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Yes--there's still hope.

17. OP
    OP
    Green6936

Green6936 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just call the admissions office and ask for Paul or Jody? I think i'll do that today. Thanks for the advise!

18. DoctorMom78

DoctorMom78 Sky Glory
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You definitely can call, but someone recently posted on the DCOM thread that their last interview is April 17th. Since that is less than a month away, they may have most of those spots filled.

Whatever happens this cycle, don't give up. Work on making your application stronger and apply early. GOOD LUCK!!!:luck: :luck: :luck:

19. OP
    OP
    Green6936

Green6936 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just talked to Jody at DMU. He said the committee just met on my file and I should be hearing from them next week. That probly means they are sending my rejection letter in the mail :( Isn't the good news always relayed by
    e-mail or telephone?

20. Rumplestilskin

Rumplestilskin To B Rare is An Advantage
    7+ Year Member

nope, all my good news came by mail, except my interview invite from pcom. but the acceptance came by mail.

21. OP
    OP
    Green6936

Green6936 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    really?? Even your interview invitations? Did you get one from DCOM?

22. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

Never give up..it's never too late..stay positive:luck:

23. lrobin15

lrobin15 OMSI
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, Jody called me to invite me for my interview. Sorry :( :(

24. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think there is definitely still hope, although I personally have given up hope on my former first choice, PCOM, since I haven't heard anything from at all... :(
    Good luck though! :luck: