Any hope for these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJ Quik

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, 17 rejections, however, I have not gotten rejections from UOP, UCSF, USC, Tufts, UDM, and BU. What is the status at these schools? I haven't even had an interview. Is it to late? Is there something I can do to help these schools understand I REALLY want to be a dentist? How big of a donation would it take to buy my way in? :confused: I think my stats are listed on my profile.

If you know some inside info, I would appreciate it.

:scared: :scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I too have not heard anything from tufts... I hear rumor that they are not handing out any more interviews...

Um UOP deadline was long time ago id imagine you would have heard from them by now as well...

The rest not sure... Good luck...

usc still interviews well through april, so i'd say there's still a good shot there. call them and ask them what's up

Members don't see this ad :)
i just got an interview from BU about 2 weeks ago, and declined it so i'm sure they are still interviewing for a while:barf: :barf: :barf:

I think UCSF's last interview was last friday

You can check your UOP status on their website under applicants. The others I'm not sure

UOP is not going to happen at this point.

On a side note, is there any hope in adding BU to my school list NOW?

So far, 17 rejections, however, I have not gotten rejections from UOP, UCSF, USC, Tufts, UDM, and BU. What is the status at these schools? I haven't even had an interview. Is it to late? Is there something I can do to help these schools understand I REALLY want to be a dentist? How big of a donation would it take to buy my way in? :confused: I think my stats are listed on my profile.

speaking of donations.....does that actually work?

to be completely honest, i think you only have a slight chance at usc. if you haven't had an interview invite by now, it isn't a good sign. many schools interview until march, but they send out their invites several months ahead.

i honestly know how you feel though. i'm a reapplicant and the last cycle ended with me receiving zero interviews and acceptances.

retake your dat. that is my biggest piece of advice. get serious about it. i don't know if you are joking about the donation thing, but that sort of attitude isn't going to get you anywhere.

good luck.

speaking of donations.....does that actually work?

Yes... Depends on the school, but yes. I've never had the desire or need to try it (wouldn't even have the $ to do it if I wanted to), but I know of people with borderline scores, who got accepted off the waitlist a week or 2 after their parents made a *nice* donation to the school. -- Keep in mind that these people did not get in strictly from the donation alone- but I'm sure it definitely improved their chances.

Members don't see this ad :)

I got an interview for the alternate list from UOP last week, so I'd think their class is currently full (note I said "currently"). I am not going, though, so one spot should open up for that.

USC: I've heard rumor that the cutoff GPA is 3.2 or 3.3... it could be wrong, though.

I don't know much about the other schools. When did you apply? You have nice DAT scores so I'd think it's still possible somewhere... if you do have to try again next year, you'd probably want to enroll in a post-bacc program and have a good GPA from there. With your DAT scores and a better GPA, you can get in many great schools I think. Good luck.

wow, you applied to 23 schools. i've never seen or heared of anyone apply to that many before. good luck to you with the remaining six schools.

maybe 23 is too few for you, but to me it seems like a lot. How many did you apply to? I hope it wasnt 56 and whats with the sweetheart business:confused: I'm sorry but i dont swing that way.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I think he wants to kiss you:love:
now....close your eyes...

maybe 23 is too few for you, but to me it seems like a lot. How many did you apply to? I hope it wasnt 56 and whats with the sweetheart business:confused: I'm sorry but i dont swing that way.

hahaha oh. you're a guy. sorry.

its ok. it was an honest mistake. i can forgive you for that:D Just dont hit on me anymore.:laugh:

its ok. it was an honest mistake. i can forgive you for that:D Just dont hit on me anymore.:laugh:

You should let the ADCOM down much more nicely, tell him you have a girlfriend, lol, for all you know, that could be the adcom for your school & could make the difference of you getting in!!! :D

You should let the ADCOM down much more nicely, tell him you have a girlfriend, lol, for all you know, that could be the adcom for your school & could make the difference of you getting in!!! :D

It seemed like ADCOM was being sarcastic.

OP, to be honest with you, you have no chance with your stats. Your DAT isn't high enough, and your GPA is definitely in the low range. Get ready to apply again AFTER retaking the DAT and improving your credentials.

But to add on what DDS DMD said, if you show a commitment to getting more prepared to apply again, taking a bunch of courses and getting a better DAT score, you will have a much better shot. Don't be dissuaded just by that.

UDM runs a little slow so I wouldn't count them out yet

did you call them to ask about the interviews?

Yes, I called. They told me they will not be sending out anymore interview invites.... so I asked, "so I'm basically rejected?" and the man said, "no, we will send you an e-mail within the next month or 2." :thumbdown:

jb!:)

dont think any school is giving out any more interviews now. I would say after this week there is 0% chance of getting new interviews. Even USC had already sent out invitation for people up to end of march and early april, so I'm sure it's done at this moment. Unless people withdraw it then the lucky few will ahve the chance, but there are way too many people waiting so Im sure the ones w/ the best stats shud get it. Sorry! always next year. I have 22/23/18 and im not even hearing from BU, NYU and some other schools.

Yes, I called. They told me they will not be sending out anymore interview invites.... so I asked, "so I'm basically rejected?" and the man said, "no, we will send you an e-mail within the next month or 2." :thumbdown:

i'll hate on them with you, jb. have u applied to any post baccs?

dont think any school is giving out any more interviews now. I would say after this week there is 0% chance of getting new interviews. Even USC had already sent out invitation for people up to end of march and early april, so I'm sure it's done at this moment. Unless people withdraw it then the lucky few will ahve the chance, but there are way too many people waiting so Im sure the ones w/ the best stats shud get it. Sorry! always next year. I have 22/23/18 and im not even hearing from BU, NYU and some other schools.

what about your gpa? did you at least get into ONE?

It seemed like ADCOM was being sarcastic.

OP, to be honest with you, you have no chance with your stats. Your DAT isn't high enough, and your GPA is definitely in the low range. Get ready to apply again AFTER retaking the DAT and improving your credentials.

I know ADCOM was being sarcastic, lol, I was being sarcastic too :) notice the ":D " heh

wow. most depressing post i've read. i feel really really dumb now. like, why did i even bother.

I appreciate your input on my situation. I think this may be the only time I will apply to dental school. I gave it a good shot, but in the end, my lazyness during my undergrad work really did me in. Freakin GPA :mad: . Well, I guess I will be sad for a couple of years, but I got a family to support, So I suppose I should apply to a couple of jobs.

On second thought, who knows? Maybe someday I will get a Masters Degree and reapply. Has anyone ever heard of a "mickey mouse masters" that take one year and are really easy and can really boost your GPA, but at the same time dental schools would really think was something special. I know I could get into a Masters of Chemisty program really easily, but buy the time I got that masters, I may as well work for Cheveron or something, which would pay well, but I like working for myself.
Mickey Mouse Masters anyone? :idea:

usc still interviews well through april, so i'd say there's still a good shot there. call them and ask them what's up

I agree. USC sent me an email inviting me for an interview on 2-9 for these dates:
Thursday, February 22
Thursday, March 1
Thursday, March 8
Thursday, March 15

So if they do interview through April, it sounds like there is still a lot of interviewing to be done.

They said their last interviews are next week and the average GPA for interviews this year was 3.5. Well, that's not me. Still hoping to hear from USC or UCSF or BU.

Good luck man i hope you get in!

Yeah good luck! Just keep bugging the admissions people. If they know you're really interested, maybe you'll get an interview. At USC, you need to keep in touch with RYAN.

Wow, 17 schools. I wonder, do adcoms have any idea how many schools we apply to? I've heard that the answer is YES which makes me wonder what the best method is there. It would be hard to sit in an interview and with a straight honest face say that a school is your top choice when you apply to a large number of schools. I would think though, that that is exactly what they want to hear.

Yup. I hate to burst your bubble, but Tuft's last interview date was Thursday Feb 8th. Nothing afterwards. I know because I got an interview invite but wanted to schedule my interview in March. But Adam told me the last interview date is Feb 8th. Good luck next time,...if you do plan on applying again to Tufts.

Yup. I hate to burst your bubble, but Tuft's last interview date was Thursday Feb 8th. Nothing afterwards. I know because I got an interview invite but wanted to schedule my interview in March. But Adam told me the last interview date is Feb 8th. Good luck next time,...if you do plan on applying again to Tufts.

no, if i have to reapply i will NOT apply to tufts. they treat their applicants so unfairly......i really feel as if i was scammed. my GPA & DAT are over their average and i have research, shadowing, leadership, etc.... i finally received an e-mail reply 4 weeks after my inquiry stating that i am very competitive, but there are just too many applicants :thumbdown: whatev.

for the person that asked if i'm applying to a postbac..dunno?? i have a 3.6 GPA/3.5 SGPA. i don't think my GPA is the problem. i may do a 1 year masters or get a job assisting. i interviewed at NYU and maryland recently so i still have hopeeeeeeee :)

good luck everyone:luck:

no, if i have to reapply i will NOT apply to tufts. they treat their applicants so unfairly......i really feel as if i was scammed. my GPA & DAT are over their average and i have research, shadowing, leadership, etc.... i finally received an e-mail reply 4 weeks after my inquiry stating that i am very competitive, but there are just too many applicants :thumbdown: whatev.

for the person that asked if i'm applying to a postbac..dunno?? i have a 3.6 GPA/3.5 SGPA. i don't think my GPA is the problem. i may do a 1 year masters or get a job assisting. i interviewed at NYU and maryland recently so i still have hopeeeeeeee :)

good luck everyone:luck:

i dont even want to think about reapplying blargh:mad: so pissed right now.

UDM has "filled" the class, but they haven't gotten the deposit from a few people yet. So, there may be a few openings available soon.

Also, being so close to Canada, they may get more openings once the Canadian schools start accepting people that have already told UDM yes, but really wanted to go to a Canadian school. (Unfortunately, this doesn't happen until June.)