Any hope left for a big reach school such as NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYU is my dream medical school, but the problem is my GPA is killing me. If all works out, I'll have a mid-3.6ish GPA by the time I graduate and apply, which is well below their average GPA of ~3.8. If I kill the MCATs, stats wise, do you think that there would still be a shot for me? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There is more to getting accepted than just your GPA. If you have good extracurriculars, a stellar MCAT, good LORs, and a strong personal statement then I don't see why not.

3.8 was the median gpa for accepted applicants at NYU, so obviously there are some lower and some higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could never understand this mentality --> "OMG I have a 29 MCAT and the average MCAT score at X is a 30!!!!" It's called an average for a reason. A 3.6 is not far from a 3.8 so I would not worry about it at all. Just make sure you do good on the MCAT b/c if you bomb it not even a 4.0 will help.

I could never understand this mentality --> "OMG I have a 29 MCAT and the average MCAT score at X is a 30!!!!" It's called an average for a reason. A 3.6 is not far from a 3.8 so I would not worry about it at all. Just make sure you do good on the MCAT b/c if you bomb it not even a 4.0 will help.

i dno, a 3.6 doesn't seem like its far from a 3.8, but it is. that's at least like 20ish more units of B out of 120 units (sorry if the math is a little off). that's why there are fewer people with 3.8+ than 3.6+ (bell curve). however, for the sake of this discussion, yeah, a 3.6 isn't terrible and you still have a chance.

I got in with a 3.65. Really not a big deal.

i dno, a 3.6 doesn't seem like its far from a 3.8, but it is. that's at least like 20ish more units of B out of 120 units (sorry if the math is a little off). that's why there are fewer people with 3.8+ than 3.6+ (bell curve). however, for the sake of this discussion, yeah, a 3.6 isn't terrible and you still have a chance.

exactly my concern. Sigh, if only I could redo my second year of college....

oh and I saw your MD Profile...your cGPA and sGPA are both pretty high. I'm surprised BU and Tufts rejected you. Does NYU favor in-state applicants?

How do you feel about Albany, NY med college, SUNY (upstate and downstate), U. of Buffalo, and Stony Brook? If you're really that concerned about your GPA vs. their average GPA's (and you're gonna need safeties anyways), they are closer to/are 3.6's.