• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

any hope now.. if havent received interview invites yet??

About the Ads

[email protected]

M0DE 01
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
Looking through the eyes of a tyrant.
  1. Medical Student
    Depends on the schools you applied to. UIC, Rush, and Loyola have not interviewed me yet and I have a 3.8 and a 32R. Im also an IL resident. I couldnt imagine not receiving interviews from at least 2/3. I know for a fact that these schools are behind in their interviewing this year also. So to answer your question there is hope depending on the school.

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 1, 2006
    On SDN
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      There is definitely opportunity still out there, so don't lost hope. However, also be realistic. It is getting late in the season so if you have any cards left to play, its time to go for it. Send in that letter of interest/update/or intent that you have been sitting on (if you havn't sent something yet). Call up someone on the inside that you may know, try to request an interview (hey, its worth a try even if it doesn't work), or in general just try to draw attention to yourself. These activities may or may not yield results, but you don't want to be left wondering "what if ...".

While your waiting, also contact schools that you have been rejected at (if any) to find out weakness in your app. They may not be ready to talk yet due to still being busy with admissions stuff, but its worth a try. Start making a plan to remediate your application deficiencies should things not pan out this year (including re-taking the MCAT if that is a weak point for you). But definitely don't lose hope yet. Even if it does not work out this year, there is always next year. And then you will have time to pad your resume some more over the summer (extra volunteering, shadowing, etc...). Good luck! I hope that you will hear some good news soon!! :luck:

bball25

10+ Year Member
      Aug 11, 2006
      Florida
      1. Medical Student
        I hadn't heard from two state schools (and it was already the end of Jan.) so I sent an email just stating that I was still interested and requesting the status of my application. Within three days they emailed me back and the following week they called on the same day to give me an interview!! :thumbup: Needless to say never underestimate the power you have over your personal situation. Like Haemulon said anything that draws attention to you you and your file can't hurt at this point. I say get on the phone/ email/ or send a letter asap....cause you just never know. Good luck!!:luck: :luck:

bahblacksheep

10+ Year Member
        Dec 13, 2006
        California
        1. Pre-Medical
          I still don't have any interviews yet either. And today, I got a "Hold" e-mail from Albany. For those curious, I was complete at Albany 9/28. You can see my MDApps for stats.

I think it sucks, and our chances are dwindling. But, I do know of people who interviewed quite late and got accepted (March/April).

I'm not holding my breath though, and I know my application will be much stronger next round.

About the Ads

crumbelievable

10+ Year Member
          Jan 14, 2007
          1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
            i am in the same sinking boat: no interviews yet. i have a super low gpa but a good reason to back it up, so i was holding out hope that some god-fearing admissions officer would take pity on my soul . . . what exactly do you say in your letter intent? and is it ok for me to send one even though im obviously not in the running anymore?

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
            10+ Year Member
            Nov 8, 2006
            1. Pre-Medical
              And if anyone's interested, AECOM interviews through April, as I confirmed today with a very nice woman at the admissions office. In other words: their website lies. Badly.

And then I worked up the nerve to call Columbia, and the equally nice, if more harassed-sounding, woman there confirmed that even they are still giving out interviews and expect to do so for longer than usual. All you boomer kids are messing up my odds here. ;)

JennyB

10+ Year Member
              Oct 28, 2006
              NY
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                Couldn't work up the nerve to call Columbia, as I was under the impression they definitely stopped interviewing at the end of February.

I called last week and they said they're definitely still sending out invites. I'm thinking about sending them a letter of interest...do you know any e-mail address or snail mail address to send that to?

Taty

10+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Mar 6, 2002
                New York
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  And if anyone's interested, AECOM interviews through April, as I confirmed today with a very nice woman at the admissions office. In other words: their website lies. Badly.

Couldn't work up the nerve to call Columbia, as I was under the impression they definitely stopped interviewing at the end of February.

This is the best news for today :)

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
                  10+ Year Member
                  Nov 8, 2006
                  1. Pre-Medical
                    I called last week and they said they're definitely still sending out invites. I'm thinking about sending them a letter of interest...do you know any e-mail address or snail mail address to send that to?

You were too quick for my edit!

The lady I just talked to said that email was most efficient, but PLEASE put your full name and AMCAS ID on it.

The email address o' choice can be found here, linked to save them the email harvesting bots.

JennyB

10+ Year Member
                    Oct 28, 2006
                    NY
                    1. Resident [Any Field]

The lady I just talked to said that email was most efficient, but PLEASE put your full name and AMCAS ID on it.

The email address o' choice can be found here, linked to save them the email harvesting bots.

Wow, thanks!!! Did you ask them if they're still interviewing? Columbia gives me butterflies... :love:

Nm: I didn't read your edited message about how they're still interviewing...you saved me a call! I agree with you that the lady on the phone is really nice, even though I'm sure she gets status check calls by the hundreds.

About the Ads

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
                      10+ Year Member
                      Nov 8, 2006
                      1. Pre-Medical
                        Wow, thanks!!! Did you ask them if they're still interviewing? Columbia gives me butterflies... :love:

Nm: I didn't read your edited message about how they're still interviewing...you saved me a call! I agree with you that the lady on the phone is really nice, even though I'm sure she gets status check calls by the hundreds.

Which is why I resisted the strong urge to check my status -- haven't received a rejection in the mail yet, so I presume that means I still have a shot...however slim. :D

NervousNed

10+ Year Member
                        Oct 12, 2006
                        1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
                          Which is why I resisted the strong urge to check my status -- haven't received a rejection in the mail yet, so I presume that means I still have a shot...however slim. :D

i havent recieved a rejection letter yet in the mail either, but has anyone even recieved a rejection letter? its almost mid feb its not lookin good...for columbia that is:eek:

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
                          10+ Year Member
                          Nov 8, 2006
                          1. Pre-Medical
                            I thought they waited to send out rejection letters all at once?

No, at least two people on SDN have posted received pre-interview rejection letters (a few weeks ago was the last). I was surprised as well...

edited to add: it's possible they were just having us on, but that's usually done with invites/acceptances, not rejections

JennyB

10+ Year Member
                            Oct 28, 2006
                            NY
                            1. Resident [Any Field]

Who are you going to address the letter to? The link says "Office on Admissions," but aren't LOIs/updates usually addressed to the Dean? I feel like it would be more personal than "Dear Office of Admissions..."

musiclink213

My room is a mess
                              7+ Year Member
                              15+ Year Member
                              Oct 20, 2003
                              New York
                              1. Medical Student
                                I hate to be the voice of negativity, but while there's still certainly hope, you might also want ot start thinking about what your plans for next year would be. Whether you should start studying for an MCAT retake or what have you. Last year, I hadn't recieved any invites and in January or Feb, I started studying again for the MCAT, just because i didn't want to put myself in a bad situation come April.

Agree with everyone else follow up on your apps, send updates, but also maybe start coming up with a plan for hte next year.

Severus

FTSM!
                                10+ Year Member
                                Jul 3, 2004
                                teh OR
                                1. Resident [Any Field]
                                  WTF... I'm pretty Columbia told my best friend that they weren't sending any more invites out since the last week of interviews is next week. I hate hearing completely different stories.

Now, I wonder if I should tell her this....

About the Ads
                                  This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  7. This thread is locked.