Any hope to get into OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueberry101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I graduated from dental school in 2019. Didn't really know what I wanted to do after school, so decided to do a GPR. Realized near the end of the GPR that surgery would be the right fit for me. Obviously, this was the year that COVID was wrecking havoc in most states, and I was legit broke af. Thought about applying for internship, but then some OMFS attendings recommended against it considering that COVID made things unpredictable and recommended to instead focus on the CBSE. So it seemed like it wouldn't be a bad idea to start working and pay off some debt and study for the CBSE.

CBSE first attempt: 68
CBSE second attempt: 72
Class rank: My uni doesn't rank, but my average has been consistently above the class average and increasing every year
Research: Extensive (mostly in public health though...)
Volunteer: Extensive

I wasn't successful with matching this past cycle; unfortunately, received very few interviews. Thought about applying for internship but couldn't secure a position (sent out so many emails...)

Now that I've managed to increase my CBSE score to the 70+ range, it got me a bit hopeful....but then again, CBSE scores have been increasing every year, and I feel like most programs prefer recent grads over people with GPR's or people having worked in private practice.

Is there any hope for me? I want OMFS so badly, but every time I'm reminded that I haven't done an Internship or that I'm almost 2 years out of school, my heart sinks...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why would you not do an internship it greatly increases your chances of matching.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on a great score. I will say that even with a great CBSE it doesn't guarentee a boat load of interviews or that you match and im sure you know this, none the less, great score! I did a non-cat year ( I graduated in 2019 too) and it really increased my chances of matching. COVID has many situations unpredictable but with the increasing competition of OMFS theres no doubt that a solid intern year will really increase your chances; however, I am not saying you can't match without doing one. Good luck, happy to answer any questions you may have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair, I understand a non-cat year would greatly increase my chances. However, I couldn't manage to secure a spot this year. Apart from the "Internship Opportunities" thread on SDN, are there any other ways to know if current residents drop out of internship opportunities? I guess I'll be looking like a hawk for opportunities starting July...

In the meantime I'm looking to do the following to boost my resume:
  1. Externships
  2. OMFS related research
  3. Publish a study I've been working on for a few years
  4. Volunteer at a local clinic 1/week and do exodontia
Uhhhh, this road is so exhausting....

Fair, I understand a non-cat year would greatly increase my chances. However, I couldn't manage to secure a spot this year. Apart from the "Internship Opportunities" thread on SDN, are there any other ways to know if current residents drop out of internship opportunities? I guess I'll be looking like a hawk for opportunities starting July...

1. Externships
  2. OMFS related research
I wasn't in the non-cat market this cycle, but the impression I got from a classmate was that many programs were surprisingly filling some spots BEFORE match day. Don't wait until match day to start looking.

Are you Canadian? Asking because you mentioned “uni”

If so, maybe it would help to up your CBSE a tad especially if you aren’t doing an intern year. Can’t hurt if you have free time and I know it’s significantly harder to get in as any type of international.

Are you Canadian? Asking because you mentioned “uni”

If so, maybe it would help to up your CBSE a tad especially if you aren’t doing an intern year. Can’t hurt if you have free time and I know it’s significantly harder to get in as any type of international.

Ahaha I actually went to a Canadian dental school but I'm an American citizen. Nice catch.

I thought about that as well. 72 is good but getting in the 75+ range would def make me more competitive, especially since some programs, regardless of citizenship status give preference to applicants from American universities (I've been through the cycle and some program directors have balantly told me so).

However, I've been wondering if prioritising externships is more important than trying to ramp up the CBSE. If I want to have a shot at this cycle I was thinking to try to find every opportunity I could to extern, and hopefully that would help show interest in OS? Perhaps later in the year I can look into retaking the exam to bump up my score in the case I don't match again :s

Ahaha I actually went to a Canadian dental school but I'm an American citizen. Nice catch.

I thought about that as well. 72 is good but getting in the 75+ range would def make me more competitive, especially since some programs, regardless of citizenship status give preference to applicants from American universities (I've been through the cycle and some program directors have balantly told me so).

However, I've been wondering if prioritising externships is more important than trying to ramp up the CBSE. If I want to have a shot at this cycle I was thinking to try to find every opportunity I could to extern, and hopefully that would help show interest in OS? Perhaps later in the year I can look into retaking the exam to bump up my score in the case I don't match again :s
Think you can do both! But your all all in externships and take a swing at it again! You got it!

You can’t do externships once you are no longer a dental student. You’re pretty much stuck with trying to do a non categorical year. There will be spots that open up and they get posted on SDN

1. Externships
  2. OMFS related research
If you had a CBSE >70, have completed a GPR, and made an actual effort to reach out to programs, there’s not really a good reason that you wouldn’t be able to at least secure an internship. That comment kind of sticks out as a red flag here, if I’m being perfectly honest. I’m guessing there’s a factor here that you’re not telling us.

If you had a CBSE >70, have completed a GPR, and made an actual effort to reach out to programs, there’s not really a good reason that you wouldn’t be able to at least secure an internship. That comment kind of sticks out as a red flag here, if I’m being perfectly honest. I’m guessing there’s a factor here that you’re not telling us.
Lol trust me, I was shocked...hiding nothing.

Keep in mind that I had to send my CBSE score of 68 since I got a 72 on my most recent score in Feb.

Also I think it may have been because I sent out emails about internships a day before match day :s. Should have sent them out before I guess. Regret it.

to OP's defense, it was a very competitive cycle, 236 matched into OMFS this year and 257 did not. I imagine there aren't 257 intern spots (does anyone know how many exist btw?). Many friends had solid apps and couldn't land an intern spot this year. tough times