Any hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedCat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats suck, I have tried but with my science courses I simply can't get good enough marks. Do I have any options left or is it time to call it quits/pursue other fields?

My elective psych and arts courses have been all above 85%.

3rd year
Major Average 65.14
Cumulative Avg 67.66

MCAT Have not written.

EC- fair number of exec/leadership positions with university clubs and leadership positions in university societies. Work with University First Aid Group. No formal research, have a paid position in lab (lab monkey). Clinical Volunteering, little after high school. Play intramural sports.

Not sure what more info you need, let me know and I will add it.

Members don't see this ad.

Well a cumulative GPA and an MCAT score would be a good start (though I know you haven't taken the MCAT yet).

What do your 60-70% scores translate to on a 4.0 scale?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been checking that as well, they just don't like people making what are my chances post, as they have an epic chart. Using the chart I get to the Purse other schools/abroad option. So I was just wondering what you guys thought.

So I still have one year (maybe 2, if I take Extra year). What kind of marks would I need to have chance, or am I beyond my luck and should go international. Problem is with international schools, are my stats good enough to get in to them even? Also where would my best chances be?

You said you're in your third year. If you complete another equal amount of time in college, meaning adding a fifth year, then the best GPA you could have is ~3.15 (if you did the conversion correctly). This is too low for an international applying to US MD schools, but might get you into a DO medical school with a strong enough MCAT score and some course retakes, as DO schools only count the most recent grade earned if one retakes a class for an equal number of credits or better. This could raise your GPA rapidly if you have a few really low grades.

This forum is primarily for those applying to US medical schools. The expertise you need regarding other international applications can perhaps be found in SDN's International Medicine Forum. However, I have heard there are Caribbean schools that don't even require an MCAT score, which are willing to take anyone provided they have a good credit score. I do not recommend these as you are unlikely to end up in a residency program that would eventually allow you to return to North America to practice medicine.