Any hopes of getting into a T-20?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBlueBird14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted some feedback on whether my application would be competitive enough to apply for T-20 schools or whether I'm being too optimistic. If you see any weaknesses in my application please be as honest as possible. I appreciate any feedback!

Stats by the time of application
  • State/Country of Residence: FL, U.S
  • Ties to other States/Regions: N/A
  • URM? (Y/N): Black/ International
  • Year in School: Junior
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Major: Biomedical Sciences; Minor: International Studies
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable): N/A
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.90
  • Science GPA: 3.83
  • MCAT Score(s): aiming for +520
  • Research Experience: 1000hrs at 2 prominent hospitals, Clinical Research Internship
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): 2 first author (1 of them is a lit review), min 3 second author (1 of them is a lit review), min 2 conferences/ poster presentations. I have other research projects that can happen so maybe +1-2 first and second authors. These are all clinical research.
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 220 hrs at hospital
  • Physician Shadowing: 50-100 hrs
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: min 350 hrs at a food bank, Habitat 4 Humanity, and various other activities
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: Fellow in UN org, created non-profit and school chapter (President), 2 officer positions at pre-medical club for 1 year, Resident Assistant for 2 years, VP for premed mentorship org, dance club, sorority (some academic initiatives such as mentorship program)
  • Other Employment History: desk service on campus
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): No
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Surgery
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): No
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): No
  • Medical School List: a mix between mid- and top-tier
Thank you!
PS: Not sure how much it matters in order to make that jump but my undergrad college is not top-tier

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what you actually have done, you look very good. But tangible advice can't really be given without an MCAT score to work with. All too often people with great credentials take the MCAT and it doesn't pan out for them.

Reactions: 1 users
From what you actually have done, you look very good. But tangible advice can't really be given without an MCAT score to work with. All too often people with great credentials take the MCAT and it doesn't pan out for them.
Thank you! I totally agree with you. Just wanted to see if that was plausible with those stats :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application looks golden, especially if you get 520+ on MCAT. I'd say you'd have a solid chance at "top" schools with even 515+. I'm nitpicking, but the one thing you could do is diversify your clinical experience. I'd try hospice volunteering (which was more meaningful to me than hospital volunteering due to longitudinal patient exposure). But again, you're good as is.

Reactions: 1 user
Your application looks golden, especially if you get 520+ on MCAT. I'd say you'd have a solid chance at "top" schools with even 515+. I'm nitpicking, but the one thing you could do is diversify your clinical experience. I'd try hospice volunteering (which was more meaningful to me than hospital volunteering due to longitudinal patient exposure). But again, you're good as is.
Thank you! I will definitely look into hospice volunteering, I think that's a great idea :D

Thank you! I will definitely look into hospice volunteering, I think that's a great idea :D
I forgot that COVID may still be canceling in-person hospice volunteering. Maybe there is virtual hospice volunteering, or you could wait until vaccines are out and nursing homes reopen.