any humanities majors studying for april mcat???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.kicia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone just wanted to see if there are any people in wierd kind of majors like me.....i am art history(just transfered from architecture)...
Anyone that haven't taken all of the pre-req's or upper level sciences yet?
what are your studying secrets? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Madga02,

Hi. I was a literature/women's studies major and did a post-bac program. My greatest *greatest* regret regarding the MCAT was not taking Biochem before taking the test. I took a Kaplan course, and pretty much knew that I wasn't going to break an 11 in PS ever, and that even making a 10 was going to be a roll of the dice. The test is harder than any practice one you will take, but it's scaled accordingly- even my classmates who had been TAs had difficulty in various sections. I think your background will allow you to read critically, but if you have the opportunity to take some advanced science courses first, I seriously recommend doing so.
That's my two cents. Good luck, and stay calm when you take it.
Nic

The envy is reciprocal. As a science major, I wish I had your verbal reasoning skills :oops:

yeah that is what am noticing in a lot of my classes....i am originally from poland but american high school is a joke compering to polish. We have a lot of critical thinking/reading preparation there. And even the fact that we have majors in hs like biochem, physics humanities ect.We also go to med school right out of high school and it lasts for 6 years.

When i first came to US though i was talking "broken" english i was most of the time the only one rasing my hand in class and talking about the text, poem or whatnot we had assigned for reading....the only problem is that i am not a very fast reader....i guess practice x1000000000 lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know that Humanities helps a ton on VR, because a lot of the passages can give you a false sense of familiarity....
What helps *is* reading quickly. That does help, quite a bit. And dont change your answers if you finish early.

:luck:

I was psyc/lit so I guess that makes me 1/2 a humanities major. I was also a religion minor and took philosophy courses. I think the philosophy courses helped me the most; they taught me how to think. Just my $.02 though.

Hey guys-

I was a psychology major and am currently in grad. school for counseling. Although psychology is a social science, I think I was in the same boat as many humanities majors. The only courses I took other than the prereqs were A&P and evolution. I didn't take biochem and if you study with Examkrackers, you don't need to.

My weakest section was verbal. However I have friends who were bio majors, the literary type, who got a 13 on verbal. It just comes down to your own individual strengths and weaknesses.

Oh and I just got accepted to medical school- so maybe it helped;-)

I was a philosophy major in college, and I'm currently doing the post-bac thing. I'm taking it in April and plan to start studying as soon as my EK books arrive sometime in the next few days.