MD Any idea what effect COVID-19 will have on Match 2021/2022?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Underdog2020

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the potential effect COVID-19 will have on Match 2021 and Match 2022?

Any thoughts on the number of applicants (will there be students who decide to wait a year and apply for the 2022 match which would then cause less applicants in 2021 and more in 2022?)

Effect on USMDs, DOs and IMG?

Interested to hear everyone’s take on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

We’re all (MD and DO) being affected pretty much equally by COVID-19, so I don’t see it bringing any major change to match 2021 and 2022. The increasing number of US medical graduates and the USMLE step 1 moving to pass fail are what you should be worried about.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the potential effect COVID-19 will have on Match 2021 and Match 2022?

Any thoughts on the number of applicants (will there be students who decide to wait a year and apply for the 2022 match which would then cause less applicants in 2021 and more in 2022?)

Effect on USMDs, DOs and IMG?

Interested to hear everyone’s take on this

Unfortunately prob all programs will cancel away rotations, so the next application cycle will be even more heavily biased towards step scores, letters, and connections. It will be become a rat race in the ultra competitive specialties like ortho, plastics, neurosurgery, derm.

Lots of people prob will take research years, esp in the above specialties, and this will decrease the number of applicants.

MD and DO students are ****ed, DO have it worse off bc of anti-DO bias will be more influential if they can't do away rotations

IMGs are ultra ****ed

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have heard rumblings of pushing back interview season and the match to allow for aways, but not sure how likely this is

I'll copy paste this from the other COVID thread - my take is that this will significantly boost certain MS3s in this match, and significantly disadvantage others.

My big take as an MS3 is that this overwhelmingly advantages early deciders. My room mate who has been ortho since day 1 already did his surgery clerkship and then both his subIs and secured his intended letters.

Compare that to other people who are still deciding what to pursue or who know what they want, but haven't even had their core clerkship in it! Happening to a friend rn that has always wanted Peds.

So, MS3s are collectively pretty ****ed, but a subset are going to be MUCH more ****ed.

Anyone wanna give there opinion now? It’s been awhile since this post has seen some action

nobody has a ****ing clue

/thread

Reactions: 5 users
nobody has a ****ing clue

/thread

giphy.gif

Any word yet on whether it will be a virtual interview season like this year? Also curious about the slightly earlier fellowship matches.

Consensus statement was released yesterday recommending away rotations return this year with a maximum of one and a start date of August 1 at earliest.

Based on this, I see a realm where in person interviews could come back, though my personal projection is they’ll be all virtual once again

As someone who just did the virtual residency cycle, I hope it stays another year. This was SO MUCH easier than flying all over the country, and cheaper, and as long as the programs still gave a Resident Q&A hour where they stated they had no influence on our rank, I was able to get all my questions answered.

Reactions: 4 users
I hope they stay virtual for everyone- esp some prelim interviews which are < 15 min (I can't imagine paying for flight and hotel for that)

Reactions: 2 users
Consensus statement was released yesterday recommending away rotations return this year with a maximum of one and a start date of August 1 at earliest.

Based on this, I see a realm where in person interviews could come back, though my personal projection is they’ll be all virtual once again

Sucks for the competitive specialties where you typically do 2-4 aways, but I guess one is better than none

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who just did the virtual residency cycle, I hope it stays another year. This was SO MUCH easier than flying all over the country, and cheaper, and as long as the programs still gave a Resident Q&A hour where they stated they had no influence on our rank, I was able to get all my questions answered.
Devils advocate point here, I did 17 virtual interviews and felt mostly the same as you. Then I went and visited a city for a program I was considering as my number one. It was a huge factor in where I ended up ranking that program (lower) and left me wondering just how different my thoughts and impressions would have been had I interviewed at all those places in person. Left me feeling not so sure. Is it worth ten grand in extra loans? Hard to say. But not as black and white a decision as I’d initially felt it was

Reactions: 4 users
Devils advocate point here, I did 17 virtual interviews and felt mostly the same as you. Then I went and visited a city for a program I was considering as my number one. It was a huge factor in where I ended up ranking that program (lower) and left me wondering just how different my thoughts and impressions would have been had I interviewed at all those places in person. Left me feeling not so sure. Is it worth ten grand in extra loans? Hard to say. But not as black and white a decision as I’d initially felt it was
What did you see during your visit to change your impression so much?

I think we are biased in rads. If I was applying gen surg or something rigorous I would be pissed about virtual interviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I like the idea of virtual interviews but I do worry about the potential for people to then go on 20+ interviews just because they can because it's easy to sit in front of a computer vs. travel. Not blaming people who did it, just the system.

What did you see during your visit to change your impression so much?
Mostly just boots on the ground opinion of the area, people, culture, gut feeling, etc. Great program on paper but and the area seemed cool via YouTube vids but I got there and it just wasn’t somewhere I would have been happy.

I think we are biased in rads. If I was applying gen surg or something rigorous I would be pissed about virtual interviews.
Yeah definitely relying on a lot of word of mouth opinions as I make my list. I think it will work out fine but it would have been nice to actually see all these places in person. I feel like surgery programs can much more easily hide red flags over zoom.

No one knows still, the "one away rotation" recommendation was surprising to hear, and I wonder if it was premature and will change. Several hospitals I talked to were planning on having aways back to normal. Right now I'm planning to keep moving forward as if aways will be back to normal, because I doubt they will be cancelled the entire academic year.

I could see an issue if hospitals require a covid vaccine to do an away with them. Could really screw over the students who cannot get one.

No one knows still, the "one away rotation" recommendation was surprising to hear, and I wonder if it was premature and will change. Several hospitals I talked to were planning on having aways back to normal. Right now I'm planning to keep moving forward as if aways will be back to normal, because I doubt they will be cancelled the entire academic year.

I could see an issue if hospitals require a covid vaccine to do an away with them. Could really screw over the students who cannot get one.

My friend’s school pulled them off rotations again so it’s definitely different in different places.

I heard a rumor that interviews may be a hybrid model next year, with a larger group of students receiving virtual interview invites and a subset of those invited for second looks/in-person experience. I imagine this would make some very happy and for others add an extra layer of anxiety.

Last edited:
I heard a rumor that interviews may be a hybrid model next year, with a larger group of student receiving virtual interview invites and a subset of those invited for second looks/in-person experience. I imagine this would make some very happy and for others add an extra layer of anxiety.
Hey, sounds like a money saver to me. Free screening interview and then I don't have to spend hundreds on travel/food/lodging unless me and the program are both serious about each other after first impressions.

I don't see aways going back to normal this year. With the new strain being detected in different parts of the country and a lot of uncertainty regarding our ability to control it, not to mention uncertainty with vaccinations, my guess is we would be lucky to have one away. That being said interviews (given theyre shorter than aways) may be a hybrid.

I don't see aways going back to normal this year. With the new strain being detected in different parts of the country and a lot of uncertainty regarding our ability to control it, not to mention uncertainty with vaccinations, my guess is we would be lucky to have one away. That being said interviews (given theyre shorter than aways) may be a hybrid.

Idk i think we have a better handling of the situation now. I know i'm being optimistic in thinking Americans didn't waste the entire 2020 for nothing but i'm hopeful things will go back to somewhat normal this year

Having done residency in person and fellowship virtually, agreed. It's fun to travel, meet applicants on the trail, and you do get a marginally better feel for a place being in person, but I personally don't think it's worth the expense and time of flying all over the country is worth the investment (particularly for fellowship when finding the time to do this is particularly difficult if you're applying during residency). You can always visit the cities of your top 'x' program of your own accord if need be

Idk i think we have a better handling of the situation now. I know i'm being optimistic in thinking Americans didn't waste the entire 2020 for nothing but i'm hopeful things will go back to somewhat normal this year
I do think we will maybe reach some level of normalcy this year, but I don't think it will be at a level to allow for a normal away schedule starting in June/July. Personally I don't have a preference either way for aways, and actually might prefer no aways lol Regardless of what I think, the one away limit imposed seems like what most likely will happen. I could be wrong tho

I do think we will maybe reach some level of normalcy this year, but I don't think it will be at a level to allow for a normal away schedule starting in June/July. Personally I don't have a preference either way for aways, and actually might prefer no aways lol Regardless of what I think, the one away limit imposed seems like what most likely will happen. I could be wrong tho
Meh I already started applying and submitting away applications today, seems like hospitals are doing their own thing. I'm going to keep continuing as normal until someone tells me to stop, not guidelines suggesting it. I'm also fully vaxxed

Last edited:
Meh I already started applying and submitting away applications today, seems like hospitals are doing their own thing. I'm going to keep continuing as normal until someone tells me to stop, not guidelines suggesting it. I'm also fully vaxxed
sounds reasonable, good luck