Any ideas on gifts to give dentists?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magna Cum Latte

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm ridiculously awful at picking out gifts, so I thought I'd ask for some help. The dentist I shadowed (a 28 year old male) just got married. I thought that it would be a good idea to get him a gift for letting me shadow him/for his wedding. Any ideas on a relatively inexpensive gifts that a dentist might like?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I'm ridiculously awful at picking out gifts, so I thought I'd ask for some help. The dentist I shadowed (a 28 year old male) just got married. I thought that it would be a good idea to get him a gift for letting me shadow him/for his wedding. Any ideas on a relatively inexpensive gifts that a dentist might like?

you can check out his registry and then pick something from there.

A bottle of red wine or single-malt scotch, a book about whatever he is passionate about, gift-certificate to a restuarant, or tickets to a show (I'm not sure what your idea of inexpensive is).

I'm not sure buying something from his registry would be approxiate. Usually, the inexpensive items are utensils or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
try not to think of him as a dentist, try to think what a 28 yo old male likes. Generally that includes gadgets, spirits, tools, etc. You could always go the safe route and get him a tie. I would recommend asking the office manager there to see if she knows what he likes in terms of hobbies and other stuff like that.

Also, make sure it is something he can use with his wife. A bachelor party gift may be just for him, but if it's a wedding gift, they'll be opening them together. So maybe a restaurant gift certificate or a unique clock or something would be good. A tie would probably be good for a birthday, but it isn't really a gift for the "couple"

...though it's true that everything on the registry is probably for her, so who knows? ;):rolleyes:

A toothbrush sounds good with the newest toothpaste!!...j/k..bottle of wine (pinot noir)

What do 28 year olds do? Go out, dress nicely, dance with chicks, thus a nice Perfume sounds like a great idea. Just to give you ideas: Issey Miaki (original), Kenzo, Armani, Versace Dreamer. Christian Dior....These are some masculine ones that make women's knees weak.

What do 28 year olds do? Go out, dress nicely, dance with chicks................These are some masculine ones that make women's knees weak.

er, isn't it partly a wedding gift? :scared:

something artsy for their home? or a travel guide of where they are going for their honeymoon? *shrug*

another thought: unless you are going to the wedding, you dont necessarily have to get him a wedding gift. you can congratulate him, but the reason you are getting him something is to thank him for helping you along - the wife can be left out in that case.

A bottle of red wine or single-malt scotch, a book about whatever he is passionate about, gift-certificate to a restuarant, or tickets to a show (I'm not sure what your idea of inexpensive is).

I'm not sure buying something from his registry would be approxiate. Usually, the inexpensive items are utensils or something like that.

why wouldn't getting something from the registry be a good idea? items are on the registry because the wife and dentist need them. i think it's a great idea to get something USEFUL and obviously wanted if the OP doesn't have any idea what to get.

A toothbrush sounds good with the newest toothpaste!!...j/k..bottle of wine (pinot noir)

as for wine, get a bottle of cabernet. men usually prefer cab while women usually prefer chardonnay. you really can't go wrong with a bottle of cab. i just had SILVER OAK, and it was great. my all time favorite is INSIGNIA, which is a mix of different grapes, but that is really expensive. STAGS LEAP cab is great. DUCKHORN merlot is good too. use BEVMO's site to search for points. get something over 90 points. if you want to go cheap, get BAREFOOT merlot. it got 95 points. the thing about wine is... some people prefer french. then it gets tricky. scotch is a good idea, but not all people enjoy scotch. so my advice is to get something from the registry if it's available. if not, go for a bottle of cab. if he doesn't like it, at least he can provide it for his guests with dinner.

why wouldn't getting something from the registry be a good idea? items are on the registry because the wife and dentist need them. i think it's a great idea to get something USEFUL and obviously wanted if the OP doesn't have any idea what to get.

I was thinking along the lines of what Euphoria said. You usually only buy someone a wedding gift if you were invited to their wedding. And buying someone you shadowed a fork, or an ice cream scoop, doesn't seem like a good fit, no matter how useful the gift.

Right. Wine or cologne shall be my default. However, in the mean time, I'm going to ask the office manager if he has any special interests. I think I am going to avoid the registry. Furthermore, the wedding was in mid october so I am not even sure if the registry still exists. Thanks for all the help and wonderful advice.