Any IMG will become profoundly depressed after reading this article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelissaRichards

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any IMG will become profoundly depressed after reading this article, I think: Critical conditions: Physicians educated abroad work in low-paying jobs as they struggle to get certification. I feel sorry for those IMGs who easily fall for our Americans' comforting-nature at the talking-level. The proof is in the pudding. The numbers look very awful. Why to waste all the application money and apply to so many programs that don?t want you, basically? The doors seem closed, even though they may never acknowledge it openly. I cannot get that good-looking, gas-pumping, poor MD guy, out of my mind! Every year, he struggled to save from his measly income, to gather enough funds to apply. He thinks, mostly his application found its way to a trashcan, where other IMG-dreams must have been in waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

That is hilarious... Either you hate IMG's and are trying to scare them away from coming here, or you're just dumb... Are you an IMG who didn't get residency? I can see why... You're reading comprehension is like 6th Grade level...

First off... Mohamed the Gas-station attendent is studying NEUROLOGY! And it says he is "awaiting certification." Now what does that mean? He probably failed his MLE, which would make it kind of hard to get a Residency. Of course he's not gonna tell random people he's failed, just that the "systems done him wrong."

Second... "Today, IMGs hold slightly more than one in four of the 100,000 positions in U.S. residency programs, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association." THIS IS WHAT I THINK YOU ARE AFRAID OF.
And that "acmfg" website doesn't exist.

I think most IMG's would agree with Dr. Gamal Iskandar at the end of the article... "I'm the happiest person in the whole world," he says....

MelissaRichards said:
Any IMG will become profoundly depressed after reading this article, I think: Critical conditions: Physicians educated abroad work in low-paying jobs as they struggle to get certification. I feel sorry for those IMGs who easily fall for our Americans' comforting-nature at the talking-level. The proof is in the pudding. The numbers look very awful. Why to waste all the application money and apply to so many programs that don?t want you, basically? The doors seem closed, even though they may never acknowledge it openly. I cannot get that good-looking, gas-pumping, poor MD guy, out of my mind! Every year, he struggled to save from his measly income, to gather enough funds to apply. He thinks, mostly his application found its way to a trashcan, where other IMG-dreams must have been in waiting!

Are you really this dumb? I cannot believe you can write such bull sh..! You are either a IMG who could not get a residency or you are just a doctor wanabe (High School Kid). Get a life and move on with your life, and stop posting stupid articles.

:mad:

Ms. Richards, aka Erica Lewinski or whoever you are, I had to clean out animal cages during medical school too. And I even had to ride my bike! The injustice of it all! The truth is, who doesn't live "frugally" during medical school or residency. And to redo all of your fellowship training, that is YOUR choice.

Really, give it up, or come to my hometown, which is FULL of IMGs.

MelissaRichards said:

I read the article to which your post is linked; and while I give your concern the benefit of the doubt, I do feel that you may be ignorant to the plight of the average US Medical Student/Grad.

First, I have taught at/for Kaplan nearly three years. I originally had not considered teaching for a test service. However, during my preperation for the MCAT, I (an American pre-Med) realized that admission to US Medical Schools was/is VERY competitive for even the most outstanding students; so, I took the prep class -- as did most of my aspiring classmates. Three thousand dollars, and a couple hundred hours later, my efforts paid off, I was accepted: many of my friends were not so lucky!

Second, do you have any idea how much debt is incurred by the average medical student attending a US Medical College? Well over $160,000.00! No, that does not include undergraduate loans, admissions applications, interview trips, etc.... Further, I recently took the USMLE Step 1 exam -- one of the exams that is also required of IMG's -- and again I was out $2000.00 ( many of my classmates were out well over $5500.00, but I work for Kaplan). Further, I, like all med students, still have Steps 2 and 3 on the horizon.

Third, if you'll browse through some of these threads, you'll notice that many people are looking forward to residency interviews. Undoubtedly you'll also notice that many people are concerned about hotels, transportation, meals, clothing and other intangibles that invariably make even the best estimates skyrocket (BTW good luck to all -- including IMGs). And next year, we have the opportunity to fork out an extra $1000.00 for the opportunity to examine fake patients :mad: !

While I do understand the concern, I do think that the article is a bit misleading. Likely there are a few qualified IMGs who fail to get through the licensing process; however, there are likely more US grads who fall through the same cracks. Finally, from MY EXPERIENCE, most IMGs who fail to obtain licensing in the US are either not english proficient (which helps to explain the extra time spent studying -- many at our Kaplan center study while using two or three dictionaries) or they are graduates of inferior Medical Schools, though I will admit that MOST international schools are fine schools!

Hope this doesn't sound condescending, I assure you that I wrote it with the best of intentions. Often these posts can be read in several ways; so, I thought I would emphasize this last point. :love:

MelissaRichards said:
I feel sorry for those IMGs who easily fall for our Americans' comforting-nature at the talking-level. The proof is in the pudding. The numbers look very awful. Why to waste all the application money and apply to so many programs that don?t want you, basically? The doors seem closed, even though they may never acknowledge it openly. I cannot get that good-looking, gas-pumping, poor MD guy, out of my mind! Every year, he struggled to save from his measly income, to gather enough funds to apply. He thinks, mostly his application found its way to a trashcan, where other IMG-dreams must have been in waiting!

I can see how IMG's feel they are treated unfairly. They must work harder to obtain licensure, and afterwards they face poor working conditions.

My constructive feedback is the following:
- Your grammar and syntax is poor.
- You use 'run-on' sentences.
- Your phrases are awkward and incomplete.

My conclusion is that you have yet to complete your training in the English language. I think that this hurts your argument.

kas23 said:
Ms. Richards, aka Erica Lewinski or whoever you are . . .

I'm glad to see someone else made that connection.

Interestingly, in another thread, our OP claims to have met YET ANOTHER foreign trained MD who is pumping gas in California.

Since almost all gas stations are self-serve in Cali (as opposed to some states which still require an attendant), it would seem hard to have a meaningful and lengthy conversation with an attendant. Then again, I usually only go inside to buy a Pepsi.

Obviously these MD holding gas pump jockeys are everywhere...and I never knew. :rolleyes:

To all the IMG's out there

Do not listen to this person. If you are new to studentdoctor, you will see that bashing other groups is a trend on here. People will state ultimatums that if you are an IMG or DO or an MD from a less reputable school, you can't match here etc.. Happens all the time. Everything is on case by case basis. I personally know several IMG's who matched into competitive fields and were highly sought after. Granted they had amazing board scores 230+ but it can be done. It's all about the boards. Hey and even if you don't match rads or something like that, you will still be a doc just anyone else. And to be honest, I doubt us DO's have that much more clout than you guys. There are several DO's that have done well as you know so we are in the same boat. Just worry about you and not what people think of you as a collective group. Good Luck everyone

hey, people take it easy. its just a funny story. Just like they come out with limousine bombers and whatnot.

I am an IMG.

I have two things to say.

1. IMGs do have it tougher than US grads. I mean, I have ace board scores, and yet a few programs have refused my application saying that they will not be recruiting IMGs this year. But its not nearly as shockingly true as what melissa's article says. These programs are rare, 2 out of the 400 i talked to.

If I were a PD, and had the choice between a US grad with a 210 step one score and an FMG with 225, i would pick the US grad. Just because i wouldnt know what kinda training the FMG has had at med school. And in my personal case, this would change the moment i saw an IMG coming from a proven good place like American University of Beirut (AUB), AIIMS-new delhi, or AKU-karachi.
And board scores, we all know are crap for the most part.

And ofcourse, there are always the unwanted (and avoidable) visa hassles to be dealt with in an IMGs case.

FMGs doing bad at english cant be the sole cause for someone's failing career in medicine. TOELF and Step 2 CS are decent tests of communication skills. I presently work in miami, which has a 60% spanish speaking population. And even with no knowledge of spanish whatsoever in the past, I am doing okay with catching on. Infact some of the best attendings here are horrible at spanish.

2. I totally agree with rahulazcom. the purpose of the article was to scare IMGs, and as Mr Bush says, we should not let terror prevail.

Lets all live for Peace, Love, Harmony and Sex.

Kimberli Cox said:
The IPs are the same... :rolleyes:

Thank you, thank you! I try my best.

My keen deductive reasoning, which is currently being sharpened like a knife while taking Forensic Pathology, is going to gain me a Primetime spot on CSI: Medical School. :laugh: :eek:

mosche said:
or they are graduates of inferior Medical Schools,

George Bush junior is a product of Harvard AND Yale, yet appears to be unable to conjugate verbs.

smf said:
George Bush junior is a product of Harvard AND Yale, yet appears to be unable to conjugate verbs.

Yet another thread that needed to die but was resurrected for no apparent reason.

lol, this was a funny post. I have a good laugh.

I'm an IMG. I got a residency and now I'm board certified.

Most Img's do the same. True, some don't. But this post made it sound like most did not. This is not true.

Just think about it for one moment. If most did not get residency and were not able to work in the USA, then why would all these people keep going to the many offshore and other non-USA medical schools. The most famous of these schools have been around for over 20 years. If they did not produce doctors that could get jobs in the USA and pass the exams, all these people would not be going there year after year.

Now, it's not going to be easy. It's not going to be like you show up and your a doctor. Get real. But it you work hard, then the results will speak for themself.

Ross University, SGU, AUC and the other schools have produced many good doctors.

Yes, there are residency programs that don't want to deal with any IMG. Yes you will have to work harder and work in some tougher residency programs. This is a fact for many but not all the IMGs. But when you are done, you can work your way up the ranks.

Yes, you may have to work harder the first few years. Build a network, make a name for yourself. But you are a doctor.

Will your Salary be less. Most likely not. This is because most MD jobs come with a preset salary and compensation program. When you call to get information about these jobs they don't really ask if you are an IMG or a US grad. Some do ask that no IMG apply.

If that is the case, this is their Loss.

Go some place else.

Anyway, this guy with his post, he is a funny guy. What he needs to know is that someday, he might be working for or side by side with an IMG.

EH.