1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

ANY INDIAN FOR PRE MED?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Kannan, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Kannan

Kannan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi
    Does anybody know anyone from India, doing their pre med or med or pg?

it'll be of great help.
    thanks.
    kannan

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes , I myself am one.Let me know if I could be of any assistance.

4. Kannan

Kannan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi optimistic!

Had you applied for pre med or med?
    I'm applying for the pre med major.

Many people tell me that seats in med school for intl. students are very few.
    So if i complete my pre med and my mcat, and don't get into mee school, then I'm stuck!

Could you give me info on this.
    Also about the 6 yr and 8 yr colleges which combine pre med and med.

5. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi kanan
    Iam pre med but I am not international student. But I do know ,It is very difficult for int student to get in. However there are some school in bigger cities like newyork who accept international students. I would suggest you finish med school in india and then you come take usmle---the licensing exam.Any other question let me know.

6. Kannan

Kannan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thx for replying.

Ya , USMLE is the best thing to do.
    but it seems USMLE visas getting cleared are 1 in a million chance.

do i then have to try for pre med in big cities like houston and new york for pre meD?

could u also try to get that 6 yr/ 8 yr college info. for me

Thx.

7. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,
    You dont haveto go to big city school for pre med .does not matter where do u do it. as long as you do it in usa, However for medical school only certain school accepts international students.
    about the 6 /8 yrs program iam not sure what exactly you mean. But if you are talkin about joined bs/md program then forget it. I mean seriously , it is just so competitive. Infact I have never heard of any international student getting accept to that program . YOu can always contact schools to get accurate information. I hope it helps.

8. Gauravvv

7+ Year Member

About the accelerated med programs, I have a friend in my BS/DO program here that was took his first two years of med school in Egypt(born and raised there) and came here and was accepted to the 7 year med program here at NYIT, so its not impossible

9. Kannan

Kannan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

The 6yr/8yr med school med school what I'm talking about is the course which combines both pre med and med.

pre med is completed in 2 yrs, and mcat is given by the students, but admission for med in that same college is guarenteed.

Are these colleges also extremely hard to get into?
    seems like Brown University has this course.....

10. silver_eyes

silver_eyes Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i am pakistani, but anyways. i waas accepted to the ucla/ucr 7-year bs/md program right after high school. i was gonna go there, but theer was no gurantee that i would get into the medical school. i had to have a 3.0 gpa the first year to get to the second year and from the second to the third and so on, i had to have a 3.5. also, during your junior year, you had to apply and take the mcat like any regular person would, regardless if they were in the program or not. now i am going to the university of the pacific, although i kind of wanted to go to a bigger school, but God has his reasons. I have faith in God. Everything happens for the best.

i think those programs are BS.

11. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think you'll have trouble entering the US for undergraduate (premed) education. I for one know that Case Western Reserve University, which has an excellent reputation both for its medical school and undergraduate science/engineering/computer areas, is specifically looking for international recruits, as they want to become better known on the international forefront.

There is no such thing as a premed major, at least at most colleges. What you do is you pick a major (say Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, whatever catches your fancy) and you get a bachelor's in that major. But if you're premed, you just have to take additional classes geared specifically for the MCAT and in preparation for medical school (intro. bio, biochem, organic chemistry, general chemistry, physics, and English).

It shouldn't be very difficult for you to attend college here. Now, for actual medical school, I'm not sure if you would encounter any restriction, but I am more inclined to doubt it. Especially if you attend your undergraduate years in the US and fulfill premed requirements here.

12. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I forgot to add, a good friend of mine (a freshman) is from India, and while she's not premed, had no trouble with entrance restrictions.

13. Kannan

Kannan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thx Leorl.
    That was reassuring. could you find out from your friend what she did in India to get qualified for med school.
    Did she complete her graduation in BSc. or something, write her mcat and then apply?

Waiting for ur reply..

Kannan.

14. leorl

Attending Physician
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood your question? Because you asked about premed, I thought you were applying to US UNDERGRADUATE college. Medical school is a GRADUATE College. So, my friend (who is not premed and is not taking premed classes), is here for undergraduate and therefore is not in medical school yet. She hasn't earned her degree yet, seeing as she's 1st year. Nor has she taken the mcat b/c...she's not premed, nor a 2nd or 3rd year.

Sorry I can't answer your questions :[

15. Kannan

Kannan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

No, I think i botched it up.
    So ur friend is presently an Undergraduate student working towards her major.(not premed)
    But she intends to pursue med later on.
    Is that right now?
    Does taking a premed major improve ur chances of getting into a med school?

16. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

kanan,
    there is no pre med major. you can be any major but you need to take premed courses,such as 1year of chm, bio, org chm, english etc.I hope it helps!

17. Gauravvv

7+ Year Member

why is that? care to elaborate?????

18. leorl

Attending Physician
    Kannan, no she is not even planning on pursuing medicine. She was entertaining the idea, but decided against it. As in a previous post, there is no such thing as a premed major. There are sciences like biology, in which physics/chemistry/anatomy and the like are incorporated, which could help for med school. But if you read posts, biology majors are turned down quite a bit. In regards to what major to choose should you decide to come to the US, do WHATEVER THE HECK YOU WANT TO!! :) It's important over everything that you truly enjoy and are passionate about what you're studying. If that's anthropology, psychology, English, whatever...that's fine. Majoring in a science (biology,biochem, chemistry, biomedical engineering) really does not improve your chances of getting into med. school. What's important are your MCAT scores, Grade Point Average, and general personality :). All you have to do as a premed is take some prescribed courses in the premed tract, like introductory biology, general and organic chemistry, physics and their respective labs. THAT'S IT. Other than that, do whatever you want. I know it's hard for non-US/Canadian students to understand the system.

19. Kannan

Kannan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

ok, the fog's finally starting to clear :p
    but one thing,
    i complete my 4 yr major in ANY course i want, say Molecular Genetics.
    Now in the 4 years, when do i take the premed subjects(Chem, bio.. )
    Can i take them parallely to the major??

20. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes you can.Infact if you major in any science fields some of the pre med requirements will overlap and that way you will have to take only few extra courses. for example ,Iam a bio major and I only I had to take one extra course that is second semeter of organic chm.