Any info about U Vermont Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErinG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:scared:

Anyone?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

$54,000 a year for out-of-staters!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied there this past year and was accepted. I really liked the school. It is located in Burlington, which is a nice college town. There is everything in the town (from bars to bookstores). The people at the school are super nice. They do take a lot of out of staters. I would defintely recommend applying there. If there are any questions you have, PM me.

Good Luck
:)

(I tried to pm you, but for some reason it's acting weird)...:confused:
Anyway, I'm wondering some general questions, and please don't feel compelled to answer if they are too personal:
-do you know how they feel about alternative/older students? (b/c I'm one of "those")
-how well do their students match?
-what are your sats?
-are you going??

It is my top choice because: I like their emphasis on community involvment, it's more clinicall training vs. a strict, research-based education (like some of the "higher ranked" schools), and it's so incredibly beautiful! (not that this is a reason to pick a med school, but I love Vermont-- the scenery, the people, the "feel" of the place, etc. I was married there too!)

Anyway, thanks for any info regarding these questions, and more info that the school's brochure might not necessarily include...

Thanks!

My premed advisor suggested that I apply to UVM because I am a non-traditional applicant. I have also heard elsewhere that they like these types of applicants.

Especially since you like the area and their philosophy, it sounds like you match well with them!

Hey altaskier,

I meant,
"-what are your stats..."

sorry...

(hmmmm spelling)

-thanks
:laugh:

I just PM'd you.

KurleyFry, the MSAR lists the nonresident tuition as $35,900. Where did you get your ridiculous number?

Originally posted by ErinG
(I tried to pm you, but for some reason it's acting weird)...:confused:
Anyway, I'm wondering some general questions, and please don't feel compelled to answer if they are too personal:
-do you know how they feel about alternative/older students? (b/c I'm one of "those")
-how well do their students match?
-what are your sats?
-are you going??

It is my top choice because: I like their emphasis on community involvment, it's more clinicall training vs. a strict, research-based education (like some of the "higher ranked" schools), and it's so incredibly beautiful! (not that this is a reason to pick a med school, but I love Vermont-- the scenery, the people, the "feel" of the place, etc. I was married there too!)

Anyway, thanks for any info regarding these questions, and more info that the school's brochure might not necessarily include...

Thanks!

To start off, $54K is not the price of tuition. At the interview, they give out a sheet that tallies up the cost of living and books and come up with $54,000 as the out-of-pocket expenses for out-of-state residents.

To your first question, UVM typically likes the older crowd. This year, our oldest is 34, and we have an average age of about 24. A lot of young ones though.

I believe students match very well. I don't have the info off-hand, but you can get it from their info brochure online.

Stats: The average for this year's crop is 9s across the board with a GPA of around 3.4.

It's definitely been a rigorous three weeks so far, and this is presumably due to the year and a half of basic science. But they pick a great group of kids and all the profs and everyone in the admin wants you to succeed. It's good stuff.

PM me if you have any further questions.

btw, i think 54k is the approximate cost of living + tuition, this is not unlike many other schools.

also, what's up with Finch - "our current tuition is 36k, and we expect it to increase significantly next year" ! not that it's my dream school or anything

I graduated a few years ago. Others have asked about this school, and again I have responded. I was accepted at a few Boston schools, and Hahnemann in Philly as well as UVM. UVM absolutely rocked. I had a great class, lived 15 feet from lake Champlain with a private beach, sunsets over the Adirondacks. Myself and 20 or so others skiied out buts off.
The clinical experience is better than almost anyother medschool. I did more on my rotations than most interns are allowed to do, and had awesome 1 on 1 relationships with department chairpersons. You get 15 months of electives to do whatever you want. 2 of my classmates climbed everest on the expedition for the blind. Others travelled all over the country. As for myself, I found the ortho ski clinic at Sugabush mountain one of the best rotations around. The cleveland clinic chiefs all spend a month in vermont here and it rocks.
Could you go to a more prestigious school???sure, but there is no way you could ever talk me into attending any other med school. My friends and I all matched in whatever we wanted where we wanted. We all did exceptionally well on the boards. My roommate matched ortho at UCSF, I matched surg at an ivy league program, another mathced Neurosurgery at Virginia, arguably the top neurosurg program in the country. But those are not the reasons to go to UVM. The reasons are for the thoughts you mention about the school. Lots of people with real life experiences. Very well rounded, and lots of fun. Go to UVM, and you will not regret it. They are building a brand new hospital now which should be done by thetime you enter the clinics.

Hey ICUDOC,

thanks so much for the encouraging email! UVM certainly sounds as if it would fit me very well (*if* I get in, that is...:( ) Were you a VT resident when you applied? (I'm a bit worried about the residency thing).

Thanks again for the reply!

(ps- I see you are posting from NYC-- my city! I grew up in NJ)

university of vermont looks beautiful! if i have to be somewhere cold, i'd love to be there!

Cold weather is awesome! There is something incredibly silent about falling snow-- I love it!!:love:

Does U of Vermont accept a lot of out-of-staters ? And how competitive is it given that it recieves so many apps?

U of Vermont accepts quite a few out of staters. I think it is 50% or so but can't be sure since I don't have my MSAR here. I do wonder if they give people in other nearby states preference over people from far away.

Yeah, I'm wondering about the out-of-state question for UVM as well-- are there any current UVM students out there who have input on this question? (we're wondering if UVM med accepts many out-of-staters, and what are the stats differential between VT residents vs. everyone else??)

Thanks!

i've heard their standards for out-of-staters are somewhat higher than for in-staters

Originally posted by ErinG
Yeah, I'm wondering about the out-of-state question for UVM as well-- are there any current UVM students out there who have input on this question? (we're wondering if UVM med accepts many out-of-staters, and what are the stats differential between VT residents vs. everyone else??)

Thanks!

About 30 of our 96 students are either from VT or ME.

Stats - I don't know. They certainly aren't going to tell us that.