Any info on Loma Linda Neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benwallace

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in Neurology, specifically child neuro though, and I was told that Loma Linda's Neurology department was pretty good, especially from its peds neurology standpoint...

anyone else know anything about this program? Good or Bad?

thanks for your help,

bw

Members don't see this ad.

I'd appreciate any info about Loma Linda University's Neurology program if possible....anything would be helpful...

thanks,

i'm sorry for hounding you guys out there...but i'd appreciate ANYONE's input on Loma Linda's Neurology Program...

any amount of data would be sufficient...

thanks again,

-bw

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know too much about the program, but from what I've heard from others who have interviewed there is that the program is pretty good and the residents seem genuinely happy. (you might have heard that since it's a seventh day adventist program, they don't have caffeine such as soda and coffee in the hospital, but i heard that the doctor's lounge has it for attendings and residents). however, because the program is pretty small (they only accept 2 residents/year), the residents are on-call much more often than at other programs, even as a senior resident. also, because it's in the middle of nowhere (nearly in the desert), that's another drawback. i noticed that for the past two years, they've had one open position each year. that's about all i know. hope it helps.

I wanted to revive this discussion. Any additional news about Loma Linda from those who interviewed for this past match?

I'm a LLU Neurology resident.... so perhaps I'm biased.

I enjoy it quite a bit. I started out as Med-Peds, which was miserable. The change to neuro has been fantastic. This year we had four + one 2nd years (including peds fellow) so call was not terrible, typically four a month. This decreases to 3 in 3rd year and 1-2 fourth year. It's in house, and the most admissions/consults I've had in 24 hours is 10 - typically an overnight is two to four of them. Last Sunday I had no calls at all.

There are three positions each year, up from the 2005 discussion.

We cover three hospitals - LLUMC, the VA and "East Campus" which we typically get about one to two calls a month from.

Second year consists of 8 inpatient months with about 5 at LLUMC and 3 at the VA (which is much less busy). Third year is about two inpatient, with the rest as electives, EMG, EEG, sleep, Psych, child neuro... Fourth year gets four inpatient and the rest as electives.

It's definitely not the "middle of nowhere". And there is coffee and soda available throughout the hospital.

The attendings are all dedicated to teaching, yet do allow a significant amount of autonomy. There are weekly didactics at the VA on Weds, and an afternoon of lectures on Friday (protected time).

Reactions: 2 users
I'm raising this thread from the dead.

I"m in the process of ranking programs and would appreciate any newer prospective on this program.

Reactions: 3 users