• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Any info on med college of ohio?

driverabu

www.riograndband.com
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
KC
www.riograndband.com
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Funny how I posted this several days ago and now I am about to answer my own question for those of you whose MUO interviews are coming up. I was in the morning session which started at about 8:30. The program director/chairman Dr. Marco gave us a 20-30 minute powerpoint presentation about the program. The reasons he cited as to why the program has probationary accreditation is because of "scholarly activity," ICU (they initially had to rotate somewhere else for this and only got 1 month in), PACU (they did 2 weeks, but not consecutively as the ACGME requires), and board pass rate which they just had 5/6 pass it on the most recent exam.

We were supposed to interview with 5 attendings including Dr. Marco himself, but only had 4 because one of the attendings was stuck doing a trauma. Dr. Marco seems to be moving this program in the right direction in the sense that he has already set up an ICU rotation there on the MUO campus, corrected the PACU problem and is working to improve the research opportunities available to residents.

Although the program itself has no fellowships, the residents who wanted a certain fellowship got them with no problem. Only 1/6 residents this year decided to pursue a fellowship and he is going to UMich for his pain fellowship. The residents are required to do 2 months of peds anesthesia at UMich there in Ann Arbor which is only about 45 minutes away, OB anesthesia at St. Vincent's in the downtown area of Toledo and pain management with some private practice pain doc.

There are offering 4 PGY-1 positions for next year and are going to interview around 80 people for those positions according to the secretary. Livng in Toledo is affordable and is within an hour from Detroit and 2 hours from Cleveland. We really didn't get to meet but one resident and he seemed to be pretty happy with the program. There was no formal tour of the hospital, but you could, if you wanted put on some scrubs and tour the ORs and all that jazz. Most, if not all of us decided to call it a day after our 4 interviews and lunch. If anybody has any other questions, feel free to post them.

About the Ads

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 12, 2005
    level at FL210
      driverabu said:
      Funny how I posted this several days ago and now I am about to answer my own question for those of you whose MUO interviews are coming up. I was in the morning session which started at about 8:30. The program director/chairman Dr. Marco gave us a 20-30 minute powerpoint presentation about the program. The reasons he cited as to why the program has probationary accreditation is because of "scholarly activity," ICU (they initially had to rotate somewhere else for this and only got 1 month in), PACU (they did 2 weeks, but not consecutively as the ACGME requires), and board pass rate which they just had 5/6 pass it on the most recent exam.

We were supposed to interview with 5 attendings including Dr. Marco himself, but only had 4 because one of the attendings was stuck doing a trauma. Dr. Marco seems to be moving this program in the right direction in the sense that he has already set up an ICU rotation there on the MUO campus, corrected the PACU problem and is working to improve the research opportunities available to residents.

Although the program itself has no fellowships, the residents who wanted a certain fellowship got them with no problem. Only 1/6 residents this year decided to pursue a fellowship and he is going to UMich for his pain fellowship. The residents are required to do 2 months of peds anesthesia at UMich there in Ann Arbor which is only about 45 minutes away, OB anesthesia at St. Vincent's in the downtown area of Toledo and pain management with some private practice pain doc.

There are offering 4 PGY-1 positions for next year and are going to interview around 80 people for those positions according to the secretary. Livng in Toledo is affordable and is within an hour from Detroit and 2 hours from Cleveland. We really didn't get to meet but one resident and he seemed to be pretty happy with the program. There was no formal tour of the hospital, but you could, if you wanted put on some scrubs and tour the ORs and all that jazz. Most, if not all of us decided to call it a day after our 4 interviews and lunch. If anybody has any other questions, feel free to post them.

Residents will divulge more stuff than staff about a program. The more residents you talk to, the better your chance of a clear picture (as opposed to a glossy advertisement) of the program.

driverabu

www.riograndband.com
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Aug 3, 2004
      KC
      www.riograndband.com
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        jetproppilot said:
        Residents will divulge more stuff than staff about a program. The more residents you talk to, the better your chance of a clear picture (as opposed to a glossy advertisement) of the program.

Yeah, and that was the only thing I noticed, that we talked to only 1 resident...and it was a monday! They said that their ORs were busier than normal because most of the elective surgeries for Friday (Veteran's day) were postponed until monday. Who knows man, but I do wish I was able to talk to more than just one resident.....shady, who knows, but I'll keep a cautious eye on that.

Ahh...The Life

Membership Revoked
        Removed
        10+ Year Member
        Nov 13, 2005
          I looked at a small little program with no ACGME problems, but plenty of history with not matching. I interviewed with a few others that day and when we ate lunch with only one resident a fellow interviewee asked to talk with more residents.

Strong move on his part, but low yield in the end.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.