Any info on UNC Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GucciMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there for general surgery this past january. I was impressed with the program in many ways. First, the PD/chairman Dr. Meyer seems like a great person to work with and was frequently complemented by the residents. Second, the program is very flexible...research or not (only 5 yrs required), private practice and good fellowship placements, academics, etc. They also have significant funding for research if this is your thing. The hospital is very modern and nice. My concerns with UNC were the fact they only rotate at two facilities (UNC hosp. and wake community) and whether or not chapel hill would be a good area for an over 30 single chick. I'm sure there are plenty of UNCers around, and hopefully they can shed some more light on this place. But as an outsider, it was very impressive and i ranked it in my top five (ahh hell, match is in a few hours anyway, no more secrets). best of luck to you.

Great program! I interviewed there and found the residents to be friendly and genuinely happy. Research is not required. You can be a community general surgeon or an academic pediatric surgeon when you leave the program.
Chapel Hill is a little small, but affordable.