Any info on Univ Louisville in KY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newneuron

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any info/opinions about the neuro residency at the university of Louisville? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think this was the program my clerkship director said was the worst program on earth. He worked there and apparently everyone left. I also know a fellow at Mayo who said they were really backwards.

To be clear, I am a PMR resident at Univ of Louisville so take this for what it's worth (probably not much). I have worked with 3-4 of Neurology depts around the south and midwest. And I have also heard horror stories about the UofL Neurology dept in the past. I think things have changed tremendously for the better in the past 2-3 years.
I've rotated with them for a couple of months during residency and have been highly impressed with some of the chages that have been made. They put in a FANTASTIC (interim) dept chair (Dr. Kerri Remmel) about 2 years ago. She is one of the most dynamic people (and doctors) that I have ever met. She has multiple research projects ongoing, one involving "bat-spit" in the acute stroke patient. She has received millions in grants which she has used to help improve the program. She has recently hired an interventional neurologist from the Cleveland Clinic. One resident that finished last year is currently training in a interventional fellowship. The program has had a BAD time in the past. But it is clearly a much-improved program. Having said all of that, I am not in Neurology so take it for what is worth. Don't write them off because of an old reputation. A lot of improvements have been made. I wish I could give you a more in-depth program description.

That's really good that things are changing. I know it's hard to shake off a bad reputation.