Any information about being waitlisted at Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastjoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently put in the acceptance range at Tulane. I am really interested in the school and was wondering if anyone had any information about being on the waitlist. (How to improve my chance of admission. what the chance of admission is. Anything like would be greatly appreciated.) Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't anything specific about the waitlist per se, but everything I've heard from current students and during my interview there seemed to indicate that Dr. Pisano is the man. It might be worthwhile to write a letter to him stating how interested you are in the school, updating info. in your file, etc. Also, we were advised by our tour guide to be extremely nice to the admissions office staff -- apparently they can be very vocal to Pisano and the ohter admissions members about their opinions. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck!

Thank you for your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
fastjoe,
when you talk about the acceptance range are you talking about being placed on the alternate list after interviewing? I might have some info but not quite sure what you're refering to.

lilycat,
when you were interviewing did you get a chance to talk to students about how organized the lectures/lab were for the didactic portion, and what they thought about the quality of the rotation and how helpful professors were?Where did you stay and what kind of experience did you have for the entire interview process? I'm really interested to get your opinions as I'm due to interview there shortly.

I stayed at the comfort Inn which was reasonable. It is on the other side of Tulane Medical Center. Really close to the school and clean. As for the interview part I didn't ask about the didactic lectures. When you interview you interview with a student as well as faculty so ask them when you arrive. The Acceptance Range is Tulane's version of the wait list. Good Luck on your interview

Movement from the wait list is unpredictable and varies each year. Up to a third of the class could be accepted after June 1. Wait-listed applicants should send final transcripts, new MCAT scores, honors, awards, and any additional activities if they are still interested in attending. The wait-listed acceptance range is not rigidly ranked.
Had you asked, your premedical advisor might have been able answer your question.
Good luck.

Lizbeth, I actually met my dad there, so we could make a weekend out of it in the "Big Easy." I really fell in love with the city -- far more than I thought I would. I think we stayed at a Hampton Inn, which was about a 15 min. walk from the med center, and maybe 10-15 min. from the French Quarter. Very nice hotel. I'd strongly recommend staying with a student -- the other interviewees who did immensely enjoyed their experience, and it also gave them exposure to other parts of the city you might not otherwise see, ie. the Garden District where a lot of students live (near the undergrad campus). Sorry, but I didn't get the sort of detailed info. you are looking for on the didactic portion, but it would be very easy to ask your student interviewer, tour guide, or any of the students you run into. I just hung out in the student lounge for an hour or two between interviews, and the students I spoke with were extremely candid and helpful. Clinical training is clearly the strength of Tulane. Most of it can be done at Charity, which allows you to see almost everything imaginable, and they give you a lot of responsibility, several (3-4) patients at a time, etc. Also, many students apparently elect to do ob-gyn and surgery at the Pineville Hospital (central LA) -- there are no interns there, and they have beds for the med students, so when a case comes in you are the first one on the scene.

Interview seemed very low-stress to me. If you are really interested in the school, make sure Pisano knows it -- he apparently can wield a lot of weight in the admissions process. My student interview was basically a non-interview -- we just chatted about life in general. The reputation there is that the students are extremely laid-back and mellow, and I don't think they like gunner types or stress cases. If you just get along with the student and can have a good conversation for 45 minutes, you should be fine. None of my interviewers really asked any questions, just kind of generally reviewed my app (if they had it), or asked me very general, broad questions about my interests, etc.

It's a great experience -- take some time to enjoy the city, relax, etc. Good luck. (and if you have any other questions you would like to ask, feel free to email me.)