any information at all welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montrealrep

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided to try and get into Montreal University despite English being my first language! :eek:
I know that most of you in this forum do not attend this University, but i am hoping that you might know things from word of mouth. Does anyone know how many non-francophones they admit to the school and what the interview process is like? French is officially my 2nd language (on paper guys...but so not true! heehe) I understand the language, sure, however my speaking abilities are less than average, and I'm afraid that this may be the sole reason I would not be accepted at this university! How much is the interview worth when being accepted into a school?
Finally, does anyone know if this is a good university?! Compared to all the other universities, UofM has such little requirements, which makes me wonder. You can get in straight out of cegep (grade 13), and do not need the OAT exam! You also do not need to take the Canadian Board exams apparently, if you want to work in QC. Why is this university so different than others? Thanks for any input at all, absolutely any information about this university is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I did not know about all those weak requirements. No OAT, no undergrad? Man they must be pumping out young optometrists. Waterloo is 100x more brutal!

montrealrep said:
I've decided to try and get into Montreal University despite English being my first language! :eek:
I know that most of you in this forum do not attend this University, but i am hoping that you might know things from word of mouth. Does anyone know how many non-francophones they admit to the school and what the interview process is like? French is officially my 2nd language (on paper guys...but so not true! heehe) I understand the language, sure, however my speaking abilities are less than average, and I'm afraid that this may be the sole reason I would not be accepted at this university! How much is the interview worth when being accepted into a school?
Finally, does anyone know if this is a good university?! Compared to all the other universities, UofM has such little requirements, which makes me wonder. You can get in straight out of cegep (grade 13), and do not need the OAT exam! You also do not need to take the Canadian Board exams apparently, if you want to work in QC. Why is this university so different than others? Thanks for any input at all, absolutely any information about this university is appreciated!

Where did you find this information?
I do know their program is 5 years instead of 4. So this is probably where they make up the difference in school time. Grade 13 is our undergraduate equivalent of 3rd year. So it all evens out.
They also have externship rotations in their 5th year in prestigious sites here in the US so I am sure they have to be at the same educational level by the time they get to their fifth year rotations.
And you have to be very fluent to get in.
That's all I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, proficiency in French is pretty important. You will be required to write a proficiency exam (and pass), and I'm sure you will need to get through an interview. I think the interviews are pretty important no matter what school you're applying to.

Optometry is not the only profession in Quebec that will accept students right out of CEGEP - all of them will including medicine. Naturally, the OAT is not required for admission to Montreal because it is a French university and the OAT is only offered in English. So it is no surprise that UofM is so different from the rest of the pack - it is after all the only francophone optometry school that confers a 'Doctor of Optometry.'

Ditto for Quebec not requiring the Canadian Boards for licensure - it's only offered in English.

I think the only thing that would make me want to go through the whole process with Montreal is the fact that their tuition is like a tenth of what I'm paying!

jefguth said:
Ditto for Quebec not requiring the Canadian Boards for licensure - it's only offered in English.

CSAO is offered in French. I don't know why the province of Quebec doesn't require it.

Having graduated from Waterloo, you get to know the UofM students. Most if not all are francophone. The ones that grew up near/around Montreal are generally perfectly bilingual. You will be taught just as well as if you went to Waterloo as they have excellent faculty there. Qubec also has been given TPA privilidges. They can Rx most medcations including steriods (but not to tx of uveitis ... I believe). They can refil glaucoma meds and follow-up glauc. patients but I don't think they can initiate tx. If you can handle the french then it's a good alternative to Waterloo.

Ben Chudner said:
Why would you want to go to U of M if you cannot speak the language fluently? My understanding is that the classes are taught in French. If you are not proficient in the language, aren't you setting yourself up for failure?

Ben Chudner said:
Why would you want to go to U of M if you cannot speak the language fluently? My understanding is that the classes are taught in French. If you are not proficient in the language, aren't you setting yourself up for failure?

I grew up in Montreal, so I am fairly fluent in understanding french (sorry for the misunderstanding). You only need to take the french entrace exam if you do not already have the right papers from the Ministry of Education of Quebec, which i do. I am weak in speaking the language however, becuase in a bilingual province you can get away with replying in english and still have french people understand you back, that is why I am worried about the interview which would likely HAVE to be in french! But I have a few months, guess I'll make a concious effort to speak in french. But you are right, I would not be familiar with all the science/medical terms, it would be a challenge, i could very well fail!
Thanks for the replies and for reassuring me that it is likely a good school! I actually did not know that it was a 5 yr program.

Opii said:
Where did you find this information?
I do know their program is 5 years instead of 4. So this is probably where they make up the difference in school time. Grade 13 is our undergraduate equivalent of 3rd year. So it all evens out.
They also have externship rotations in their 5th year in prestigious sites here in the US so I am sure they have to be at the same educational level by the time they get to their fifth year rotations.
And you have to be very fluent to get in.
That's all I know.

I just went to their website and looked at admission requirements. You're right, i guess the difference in school systems make up for the non-undergrad requirement.

montrealrep said:
I grew up in Montreal, so I am fairly fluent in understanding french (sorry for the misunderstanding). You only need to take the french entrace exam if you do not already have the right papers from the Ministry of Education of Quebec, which i do. I am weak in speaking the language however, becuase in a bilingual province you can get away with replying in english and still have french people understand you back, that is why I am worried about the interview which would likely HAVE to be in french! But I have a few months, guess I'll make a concious effort to speak in french. But you are right, I would not be familiar with all the science/medical terms, it would be a challenge, i could very well fail!
Thanks for the replies and for reassuring me that it is likely a good school! I actually did not know that it was a 5 yr program.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

yeah, i'm not sure it is such a wise decision going to a school that requires french fleuncy if you are not up to snuff with the language. optometry school is going to be hard enough without having to try to understand what the prof. is saying! ;)

ariel winter said:
yeah, i'm not sure it is such a wise decision going to a school that requires french fleuncy if you are not up to snuff with the language. optometry school is going to be hard enough without having to try to understand what the prof. is saying! ;)

I'm up for the challenge! My boyfriend is francophone and is only speaking to me in french to prepare me for the interview. Besides, if i really cant handle the first year i will go to an engilsh school!