Any inspirational stories of current med students with disabilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone currently in med school or residency with a disability, what type of disability do you have, how has it challenged you in med school, and what type of advice do you give future med students with disabilities who are about to start medical school.

All stories are appreciated whether they turned out good or led to dropping out of school. Any disability discussed from anxeity, depression, panic attacks, other behavioral heallth problems, to cancer, diabetes etc... are appreciated.

I think it will be an eye opener and/or encouragement to others with disabilities about to start medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it's a "disability" so much but this is worth sharing. 2/3 of the way through this block I significantly injured my knee to the point of requiring surgery.

The response from my classmates and the faculty has been incredibly supportive. My anatomy lab group pretty much lost me as any sort of contributing member, but they still made sure I saw everything. People at everywhere make it a point to help me out if I need something. People took notes for me for the lectures I had to miss. It's been rough, but I've had a lot of people jumping to help me through it. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops -- you asked about doctors, not dancers. Sorry.

I know two powerfully inspirational doctors with disabilities.

Serena Young went through med school and residency with paralysis from polio. She now serves as an orthopedic surgeon, slashing and sewing patients while using crutches and braces.

Dr. David Rogers graduated Harvard Medical School and began a residency in pediatrics when an accident left him with high quadriplegia. After a rigorous rehabilitation program, Dr. Rogers completed a residency/fellowship in pediatrics and pediatric genetics, and now serves as a clinical geneticist with Genzyme Genetics.

You can read about these incredible doctors and others here:

Persistence and Perseverance - Center for Disability Issues and the ...

Oops -- you asked about doctors, not dancers. Sorry.

I know two powerfully inspirational doctors with disabilities.

Serena Young went through med school and residency with paralysis from polio. She now serves as an orthopedic surgeon, slashing and sewing patients while using crutches and braces.

Dr. David Rogers graduated Harvard Medical School and began a residency in pediatrics when an accident left him with high quadriplegia. After a rigorous rehabilitation program, Dr. Rogers completed a residency/fellowship in pediatrics and pediatric genetics, and now serves as a clinical geneticist with Genzyme Genetics.

You can read about these incredible doctors and others here:

Persistence and Perseverance - Center for Disability Issues and the ...

Yes, doctors only, lol... Anyone with any personal stories or of friends, not something from google? Any stories of anyone with mental health problems, etc...

How about pregnancy? There are quite a few women that have that "disability" some time during med school. I might be one of them.... just don't know for sure yet.

I know SDN had an article about a medical student that was bipolar a while ago...That was a pretty touching piece...

I... have a classmate with dyslexia.

Ok, maybe not that awe-inspiring. She gets extra time on tests, which I think many people are ambivalent about.

I don't know if this qualifies as "inspirational" by any stretch of the imagination, but it is important for med students with physical disabilities to know they are not alone. I have an autoimmune disease with multi-system involvement and of course took a nosedive, health-wise, in the second quarter. When I got out of the hospital (missed about an entire week of class and studying) my professors literally spent hours with me trying to get me caught up. In the end I decided to go on an extended study program (three preclinical years instead of two) but life is MUCH sweeter now than I have time to take care of myself and also be able to study.

This can be done. It might not be easy, but it can be worked out.

Okay, fine! maybe I am a big fan of my school :).
Really, there was a blind medical student back in the 90`s. Apparently he graduated near the top of the class. Here is the news story http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7318398

Okay, fine! maybe I am a big fan of my school :).
Really, there was a blind medical student back in the 90`s. Apparently he graduated near the top of the class. Here is the news story http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7318398

Any more personal stories rather then i heard this or googed that...
Most topics interested in are mental health issues, color blindness, and other such related disabilities.

I don't have a story, but......I've heard that depression and anxiety strikes many a medical student. I think it is because med students in general tend to have Type-A personalities, and the difficulty of actually going through the program. I've heard the counseling office at the med school can be helpful for those struggling with stress, depression, or anxiety.

My sister is in dental school and has been struggling with depression the last few years. She was never depressed before going in. I think it may have had to do with the stress of the program. Also two years ago, she had gone abroad to Europe over a school break with a fellow student to do some public health dental work. During her trip, she was the victim of attempted rape (by a stranger). She's now a few months away from completing her degree. I don't think she's totally recovered, but at least able to get through it. I think it will be good for her once she finishes and has some time off before starting work.

I don't have a story, but......I've heard that depression and anxiety strikes many a medical student. I think it is because med students in general tend to have Type-A personalities, and the difficulty of actually going through the program. I've heard the counseling office at the med school can be helpful for those struggling with stress, depression, or anxiety.

My sister is in dental school and has been struggling with depression the last few years. She was never depressed before going in. I think it may have had to do with the stress of the program. Also two years ago, she had gone abroad to Europe over a school break with a fellow student to do some public health dental work. During her trip, she was the victim of attempted rape (by a stranger). She's now a few months away from completing her degree. I don't think she's totally recovered, but at least able to get through it. I think it will be good for her once she finishes and has some time off before starting work.

Anyone else struggling from chronic depression and/or anxiety and is getting treated with it on medication while a student? If so how does it effect your studies, etc...

I remember awhile ago I read a story about a med student (now doctor) who was blind. I think I read it on CNN. Anyway, he was at the top of his class. I think he went to either Harvard or Mayo.

The story made me feel very for struggling while having the advantage of vision. I was thinking about learning braille in order to get a leg up on my studies. I figured that must have been his trick.