Any interesting stories about interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wick215

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview next week and am starting to get a little nervous and it seems like we are all still waiting to hear from most programs. Any residents out there care to share interesting stories about their interviews? It would greatly ease my nervousness. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't have any *interesting* stories...

If you are nervous, go to the www.emra.org website, and they have on there (somewhere) a list of questions you will be asked by the PD, by the staff, by the residents, as well as questions you should ask the program itself. I found it quite useful and went over them the night before the interview. After a couple interviews I didn't need to read it at all (the nervousness went away after interview #1)... because IMHO the EM interview is a lot less stressful than most other programs.

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad :)
At one of my interviews we spent most of the lunch talking about how the residents had eaten with a guy the previous day that was interested only in the quality of the local gentlemen's clubs. They were quite annoyed that he wouldn't drop the topic. Then, on my next interview, I clearly encountered that same guy interviewing with me. Be careful who you ask when you want to find out the "important" life outside the hospital information. While crucial to your life, it can cost you a chance at matching if you don't do it in the right setting.

I had an interesting experience last year on my very first interview.

I sat down with the interviewer at his desk while he enjoyed a chicken sandwich for lunch. He grabbed my folder and began to read it. As he started he said, "OK, start talking. Tell me everything you think I need to know inorder to consider you for our residency. When you are done talking I will assume I know everything I need to about you". He then looked down and resumed reading and eating.

I didn't really know what to say so I just started telling him about myself, my medical school experience, and why I wanted to do EM. This lasted all of about 2 minutes. When I was done he asked, "Is that all?". I hesitantly replied that it was and then he thanked me for coming and showed me the door. Great experience.

I know from talking with other candidates that this is pretty much his interviewing "style". I for one found it pretty intimidating. Especially considering it was my first one.

I bet there are a few of you out there reading this that know exactly who or where I am talking about.

Every interview candidate should have a good response prepared to the question "why should we give you a position in our program?"

Some will ask it more directly than others, and that guy added on a requirement that you make it an entertaining experience for him.

Excellent! Keep them coming!

Now I am just a regular guy. I was interviewing with one of my top programs, and was pretty nervous. I was led by the secretary to one of the faculty offices and told to wait there until my interviewer arrived. In walks this totally hot doc with long blonde hair and a tight figure, and in a sultry voice introduces herself as my interviewer. She had a short skirt and her blouse was open lower than it should have been. I couldn't keep my eyes on her eyes, and she said "So what exactly interests you in our program?" Then she winked! I could tell this wasn't going to be an ordinary interview. I replied "I am interested in taking the wraps off of the faculty interests." "Mmmm", she said. "Maybe this will help." and she locked the door and began to unbutton her blouse. From out of nowhere some '70s disco music began to play. I was "interviewed" like I have never been "interviewed" before, and when it was all over, she said that I seemed to have excellent medical skills, and she would welcome me into her program. Wow!

Now I have heard about these interviews, and never believed them to be true. Then it happened to me!

Originally posted by AVD
Now I am just a regular guy. I was interviewing with one of my top programs, and was pretty nervous. I was led by the secretary to one of the faculty offices and told to wait there until my interviewer arrived. In walks this totally hot doc with long blonde hair and a tight figure, and in a sultry voice introduces herself as my interviewer. She had a short skirt and her blouse was open lower than it should have been. I couldn't keep my eyes on her eyes, and she said "So what exactly interests you in our program?" Then she winked! I could tell this wasn't going to be an ordinary interview. I replied "I am interested in taking the wraps off of the faculty interests." "Mmmm", she said. "Maybe this will help." and she locked the door and began to unbutton her blouse. From out of nowhere some '70s disco music began to play. I was "interviewed" like I have never been "interviewed" before, and when it was all over, she said that I seemed to have excellent medical skills, and she would welcome me into her program. Wow!

Now I have heard about these interviews, and never believed them to be true. Then it happened to me!

It sucks to wake up it that wet spot, huh? Thats what edinOH tells me.

mike

Originally posted by edinOH
I sat down with the interviewer at his desk while he enjoyed a chicken sandwich for lunch. He grabbed my folder and began to read it. As he started he said, "OK, start talking. Tell me everything you think I need to know inorder to consider you for our residency. When you are done talking I will assume I know everything I need to about you". He then looked down and resumed reading and eating.

I think I interview with that dick a few years ago and it was such a negative experience that despite frequent and inappropriate prematch phone calls from the program I ended up not even ranking them.