Any interesting tidbits about UNECOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DemonDeacon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's an awesome school, I'll be interviewing there mid November. I was wondering if anyone can give some interesting info about the school or the location, or even the interview itself. I've been through the entire website and I tried searching on here, so I would really appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, UNECOM is a great school. Very laid back and friendly students, staff and faculty. The interview was also very laid back and easygoing. Check out the interview feedback forums for specific impressions. I interviewed there on 13 September. Really ejoyed it and hope to receive an acceptance notification real soon. Some of us who interviewed in September already know but those of us who do not know our fate is thanks to UNECOM's new admissions policy. They state a 4-6 week turnaround time from the date of interview (supposedly). I have a friend who is a MSII there now and absolutely loves it. UNECOM is my top choice so if they accept me I'll be making that deposit ASAP. I wish you the best of luck with your interview, I'm sure you'll ROCK out! If you have any more specific questions feel free to PM me. Aside: I loved the Triangle area! I was working at UNC Chapel Hill back in May-July of this past summer. Great place! Saw a Durham Bulls game. Good times! Okay, time to go.
Cheers,
Steve F. :thumbup: :luck:

Fozzi, you don't know yet? I interviewed there on 9/28 and was accepted by 10/6. I'd consider calling them if you haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem said:
Fozzi, you don't know yet? I interviewed there on 9/28 and was accepted by 10/6. I'd consider calling them if you haven't heard anything.

Oh, I know. I called that week of the 6th. Also, I've e-mailed Lisa and James a couple times since then. Looks like the adcom is really holding true to the 4-6 weeks time frame for a select few of us. It is fishy that you and a others who interviewed the last week of September and heard back right away. Oh well, I'll post as soon as I hear something. Quite possibly this week since Tuesday is the 6-week mark. Hurry up and wait is my mantra for this process.
Hoorah!
-S

I dunno, fozzie, perhaps they're accepting folks with higher stats early? I think more likely your interviewer wasn't available for discussion at the admissions committee meeting. Would be a reasonable reason for having you wait. I know other institutions do that to make it fair to you - your interviewer is your advocate in committee meeting.

Fozzie... did we have the same interviewer? That might explain it?

FYI everyone... we were in the same interviewing group and I haven't heard a thing either.

By the way... UNECOM is a great school and the location is awesome! Good luck to all!

Hey Guys:
I interviewed with you guys on 13 Sept. also, and received my acceptance letter on 3 Oct. I interviewed with Dr. Yonuschot from the Biochem Dept. Just thought I would post to let you know, fozzie. Hope you get in...I've already sent my deposit, since UNE is my top choice, and withdrew my other apps (thankful I got in, since I am virtually broke from all these interviews :eek: !!).

Good luck to you all.

Regards,

Ryan.
UNECOM, Class of 2010

I thought about the possibility that the interviewer might not have been present in the decision process but...I had Dr. Y as well. We hit it off really well however you can never tell just what the final dispo will be based on such things since there are many variables in this equation. Misparas and I are in the same boat for some reason or another yet we had different interviewers. I'm patiently waiting for some acknowledgement. Congrats to all that have rec'd their acceptances from UNECOM. Hopefully I'll see you there in the Summer.
Cheers,
Steve

Hey guys,

Glad to hear you guys really like the school and have had good experiences thus far. Do any of you know how the in state/ new england residency preference leaves you. I have a book that says all qualified residents of the state of Maine are guaranteed an interview, im not sure how this extends over to other new englanders (Im from CT. and now live in Mass). Are any of you folks new england residents? Im just trying to get some information about my chances as I applied about 3 weeks ago and still have alot of time before Ill hear anything- thanks for any help and congrats to all of you.

John

John,
As far as I know UNECOM does not guarantee an interview to anyone. There is a system set up through the Finance Authority of Maine (FAME) called the Maine Access to Medical Education program. Under this program UNE saves 5 spots for Maine residents (UVM holds 10, and Dartmouth 5). This is the college's only guarantee to Maine residents. UNE does not offer in state tuition discounts or anything like that.

I'm a Maine resident, accepted for 2006, so I've been through all the ins and outs of the process as far as Maine Residency is concerned. (Though I was accepted outside the FAME program.) Hope that answers your questions, let me know if you have others.

johnnymat said:
Hey guys,

Glad to hear you guys really like the school and have had good experiences thus far. Do any of you know how the in state/ new england residency preference leaves you. I have a book that says all qualified residents of the state of Maine are guaranteed an interview, im not sure how this extends over to other new englanders (Im from CT. and now live in Mass). Are any of you folks new england residents? Im just trying to get some information about my chances as I applied about 3 weeks ago and still have alot of time before Ill hear anything- thanks for any help and congrats to all of you.

John

I am not aware of any preference given to anyone either. I do know that about 80% of the people of most classes are from New England. The school looks at the whole package not just one component when evaluating candidates.

Wook

I was told by Mr Gaffney the breakdown was more 20% from new england, 20% from other new england states and 60% mostly from the northeast.Which is more correct?

wook said:
I am not aware of any preference given to anyone either. I do know that about 80% of the people of most classes are from New England. The school looks at the whole package not just one component when evaluating candidates.

Wook

Thanks for the info, hopefully someting comes my way, and all the best to the rest of you as well.

Hey guys, the interview went great! I just got my acceptance last week, and will be sending in my deposit soon!

I am new on this forum, but I decided to put in my 2 cents as well, haha

I interviewed there recently, and it was a great experience. The MS1 students who volunteered to show us around were enthusiastic and kind, even though they had a test the next week. Definitely one of the key points stressed there is how the students help each other out by e-mailing links and notes- the transcribing of notes is done by a community of students so that one student does not have to transcribe every single lecture him/herself. The interview itself was also very laid back and relaxing. The facilities are great, and although it does get freezing there, its a bright place and definitely conducive for a med school education. Overall, seems to be a excellent university. Hope that helps!
:D