• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

anomorato

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Just wanted to know if there is anyone here that is Canadian or US citizen graduate of a AUS med schoolcurrently practicing as a physician in Australia?

markdc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2003
Canada
Status (Visible)
There are a few American/Canadians in their intern year from UQ. Before their class there were very few international students at UQ so maybe there would be more Flinders grads that would be getting closer to the licensing point by now.

It would have been 5 years previously to become a GP and longer for the other specialties so you are talking about people that have graduated at least 5-6 years ago and wouldn't likely spend much time on this forum.

There are some Canadians and a few Americans practicing here that would have graduated from NA schools.

us-aussie

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
yes, I am a US citizen who went to med school in Adelaide, and am working as an intern. There are tons of us around Oz! Very easy to get a position, interns and residents are deperately needed. Pay is good and hours are great when compared to the U.S.

About the Ads

sumina13

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hi,
i'm wondering (and forgive me if the answer is already posted somewhere) if international graduates from the UK have a chance of landing a residency in AUS right after completion of the MBChB course (the medical degree, 4-6 years, depending on your point of entry)???

i'm interested in knowing if one can go into AUS for residency right after graduating (not after registering as a doctor in the UK - usually after 2 foundation years) AND how lond does it take to get a residency in Psychiatry and/or Neurology in AUS???

I heard before that UK graduates are recognized in AUS (no need to take extra exam qualifications), is that true???

any information would be appreciated. many thanks!

markdc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2003
Canada
Status (Visible)
I doubt that UK graduates can directly enter training programs here since Aussies can't go to the UK without doing the PLAB (sp?). I would imagine you would have to write the AMC exams like everyone else. Have you searched on the AMA/AMC websites? They should tell you.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.