Any international student applying for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jigabodo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i was just wondering if there are any other international student applying to dental schools beside myself?

As an international studen, I've found that there are actually A LOT more restrictions than I thought while I am applying to dental schools...

-There are number of schools that would not take any non-citizens.
-Its virtually impossible to get into any state schools, since a lot of them have preference for residents.
-Most, if not all require college transcript from either from U.S./Canadian universities.
-Even if we do end up getting accepted and graduate, most likely we cannot practice in our own country. (Well, in the case of Taiwan.)

Seems like its gonna be tough, any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

whats wrong with the dental schools in taiwan? university of taipei has a good dental school?

There's nothing wrong with dental schools in Taipei. It's just that I've gone to both highschool and college in the states so I figure I might as well go dental school here. Plus in Taiwan, you attend dental school after highschool.

Members don't see this ad :)
^oh...sorry i didnt know that. i should have told you earlier that im not an international student. maybe you can try to become a citizen? i know its really hard if you dont have family that is already citizen.

my dad went to d-school in taiwan and came here to take the boards. passed and practiced here for 15 years and finally got his citizenship.....

besides that i have no idea how international students do it......sorry again

Hi,
i was just wondering if there are any other international student applying to dental schools beside myself?

As an international studen, I've found that there are actually A LOT more restrictions than I thought while I am applying to dental schools...

-There are number of schools that would not take any non-citizens.
-Its virtually impossible to get into any state schools, since a lot of them have preference for residents.
-Most, if not all require college transcript from either from U.S./Canadian universities.
-Even if we do end up getting accepted and graduate, most likely we cannot practice in our own country. (Well, in the case of Taiwan.)

Seems like its gonna be tough, any thoughts?

I am an international student. I'm not applying this cycle but I got accepted in the last cycle. Yes, it will be tough and there are a lot of restrictions like you mentioned but you can get into a private school definitely. I guess you may not be able to practice in your country but why go back to your country to practice when the U.S. gave you all the education and this is where you'll make the money? I'm sure getting citizenship here or at least permanent residency shouldn't be too difficult for someone with a DMD.

I actually worked really hard to get my permanent residency first, after college. It really does open up so many options in terms of graduate school, jobs etc.

Well you were smart to research the process in order to know what the specific requirements were. That's more than what some people do!