Any international student are applying for MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canyu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,guys.
I am from China,now I am in US.Is any guy going to apply for the MPH or DrPH for the next fall term?
And how to select the appropriate school and how to apply the finacial aid ,I think it is quite different from the native American guy.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Many international students come to U.S. MPH and DrPH programs. There are many programs available at universities around the U.S., including some in Schools of Public Health, and some in medical schools. Most programs offer a range of study areas (e.g. biostatistics, epidemiology, enivronmental/occupational health, health care administration, health education, and so on), but each program has different strengths. Most schools also have connections with outside local or national agencies, though some work more closely than others with these agencies. Depending on your academic and professional background and goals, you may wish to consider which programs offer classes and have faculty members and resources of interest to you. A good place to start learning about the universities that offer the MPH and DrPH degrees is the list of accredited programs at CEPH or the list at ASPH. Each school will probably list the TOEFL score you need to apply to the program along with the other application information.

Other considerations would be whether you want to live in a more urban or rural area, which regions of the U.S. appeal to you, and whether or not it is important to you that there is a large Chinese community in that area. Since you are already in the U.S., you may already have some idea about the answers to these questions.

Applying for financial aid can be tricky for international students since foreign students are generally not eligible for U.S. federal financial aid. That means that international students who want funding must generally apply for a merit-based scholarship from the school or from an outside source. (I am not sure how being a non-U.S.-citizen affects eligibility for paid research positions - it may depend on visa type.) Once you have identified the schools to which you intend to apply, contact their admissions or international student office for information about your situation.

Best of luck!