Any international students planning on goin to med school in the U.S., next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awake1022

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious, any international students planning on attending med school in the U.S. next year?

Members don't see this ad.

btw, you don't have UPenn listed as a school you applied to/got an interview at. ?? did you mean Penn State?

Members don't see this ad :)
double post, whoops. lousy internet connection. :mad:

Awake1022 said:
Curious, any international students planning on attending med school in the U.S. next year?

i am!! well... provided i get an offer of admission.

waiting sucks.

Awake1022 said:

I am an international student and waiting to hear back from one school that I just had an interview with.

So, how is the situation regarding loans for all of you???? Are you financially able to support yourself (lucky you!), or are you planning on getting a loan? And if so, how?

I'm an international student too! I'm gonna take my MCAT next year :)

DrLizzie said:
I am an international student and waiting to hear back from one school that I just had an interview with.

So, how is the situation regarding loans for all of you???? Are you financially able to support yourself (lucky you!), or are you planning on getting a loan? And if so, how?

All schools require a US co-signer. Some have excellent private school loans so make sure to call their financial aid office. Alot of aid for school scholarship deadlines are in March so let that be a factor in how early you decide. That was one of the reasons I ended my interview season.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=5028

stherling said:
btw, you don't have UPenn listed as a school you applied to/got an interview at. ?? did you mean Penn State?

No I meant UPenn, but for a PhD program, in case I can't get someone to
co-sign for 250k in loans...

I'm waiting to hear back from 3 schools at the moment. Case is actually my top choice also so I might see you there if we both get in and decide to go there.

I don't have to worry about co-signing because I've been using my credit card for about 3 years now and have good credit history. I'll probably borrow money directly from a bank.

Awake1022 said:

I'm hoping to apply in 2008. Is the application process any different for us International students?

Eccentric said:
I'm hoping to apply in 2008. Is the application process any different for us International students?

it's the same. i applied to three schools and was accepted at each one. they didn't seem to care that i was from canada (i did my undergrad in the states). most schools have an international student advisor to help with the visa process. it's quite simple.

dom1n1c said:
All schools require a US co-signer. Some have excellent private school loans so make sure to call their financial aid office. Alot of aid for school scholarship deadlines are in March so let that be a factor in how early you decide. That was one of the reasons I ended my interview season.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=5028

are you sure? TERI loans seem to be an excellent choice (for american or canadian students). the canadian students must have a canadian co-signer - an american co-signer is not sufficient.

rbrun said:
it's the same. i applied to three schools and was accepted at each one. they didn't seem to care that i was from canada (i did my undergrad in the states). most schools have an international student advisor to help with the visa process. it's quite simple.

Thanks rbrun. I feel like the odds are agianst me just because of my status. Its good to hear you made it through. :)

I want to be a resident anyone want to marry me? haha jk.:D