Any Jewish Premeds Out There

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think AAMC sold our info down the river... I've been getting military medical stuff, podiatry information... and that Ben Gurion email (though I did apply to Columbia too).

I hadn't heard about it before, and as silly as I feel to find out about something that way, I'm pretty interested... (I am 100% interested in international health). I'm trying to figure out if I would choose it over a highly ranked school...

Members don't see this ad.

As I wrote that message, I got an email on the MSP UIUC program, which admitted getting my email from the MCAT registration...

I get lots of info about physician scientist programs which I have zero interest in.

I'm old enough. Why would I spend 4 more years getting a degree I don't want?

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if we are one of the most represented groups in medicine (which I doubt is the case anymore), why should we not celebrate who we are just like everyone else?

I don't really mind. I wouldn't have posted at all if someone wasn't quoting margaret mead without giving her due props. I do find this threads meaningless though.

SDN was created to bring people together with a significant similarity. So already, we all share something that is very common and rightfully thats what unites us 99% of the time. Why should SDN become an avenue of celebrating your religious belief unless you want to discuss how it influences your view of medicine, which I would definitely find interesting?

Really, I don't mind. Threads like these just remind of the human tendency to focus on differences even in environments where similarities are so important. I can understand the need to do this if you are part of an underreprestented group that might feel particularly strange in following a path that is alien to their own heritage in some way, but I am less inclined to for groups that have such strong social support anyway, in medicine and beyond.

I don't expect anyone to particularly care about my viewpoint, and if you extract some benefit from engaging in this thread then I couldn't be happier, because really you aren't enjoying yourself to the detriment of others in any practical fashion.

Israeli here. I want to go to columbia university after bollinger said that speech to that dictator akmidinehad.

אל אל ישראל :)

Really, I don't mind. Threads like these just remind of the human tendency to focus on differences even in environments where similarities are so important. I can understand the need to do this if you are part of an underreprestented group that might feel particularly strange in following a path that is alien to their own heritage in some way, but I am less inclined to for groups that have such strong social support anyway, in medicine and beyond.

I think you don't realize how many of us ARE treading new paths. How many orthodox jewish mothers do you see applying to medical school at the age of 28? yea, I am jewish, I am nontraditional, I am orthodox, I have kids, I'm married - all these things individually have their own group, but when they are put together the sum is more than each individual part. So, is there anyone out there on the same road?

I think you don't realize how many of us ARE treading new paths. How many orthodox jewish mothers do you see applying to medical school at the age of 28? yea, I am jewish, I am nontraditional, I am orthodox, I have kids, I'm married - all these things individually have their own group, but when they are put together the sum is more than each individual part. So, is there anyone out there on the same road?
Once you start interviewing, you'll be surprised to find out how many people with your background are already out there. :)

How many orthodox jewish mothers do you see applying to medical school at the age of 28? yea, I am jewish, I am nontraditional, I am orthodox...

So you're orthdox, yet unorthodox...

Once you start interviewing, you'll be surprised to find out how many people with your background are already out there. :)

Really? I would love to meet someone with the same background doing the same thing. I have yet to find any, and I have looked.

Members don't see this ad :)
sackler is actually a legit program. taught in english, rotations in new york, and you get an American M.D.

I looked into this and found out that you're actually considered a foreign medical graduate for residency placement, according to the info I got.

It's hard enough to juggle a heavy schedule of science classes with Shabbos and Yom Tov; September/October was nuts this year. How do you manage to do it while taking care of your kids as well?

The topic of this thread was being jewish, I think you'll agree that probably no one else on this thread meets your combination of characteristics.

You probably (certainly) have a lot more in common with the non-trads than with the 21 yo jewish pre meds, but like I said if it gives you some measure of comfort to know there are many many other jewish kids applying to med school or you just enjoy posting in this type of thread it is no real bother to me :)

The topic of this thread was being jewish, I think you'll agree that probably no one else on this thread meets your combination of characteristics.

You probably (certainly) have a lot more in common with the non-trads than with the 21 yo jewish pre meds, but like I said if it gives you some measure of comfort to know there are many many other jewish kids applying to med school or you just enjoy posting in this type of thread it is no real bother to me :)

Actually, you're kind of missing the point. The average 28 year old mom who decides to go to med school will likely find that most people react quite positively and supportively. However, if she lived in a community which very traditional ideas about families and gender roles, she would find herself in a completely different position.

It's possible that TopDocChick has just as much (if not more) in common with other Orthodox Jewish female pre-meds, even 21 year olds, than she does with most non-trads.

It's hard enough to juggle a heavy schedule of science classes with Shabbos and Yom Tov; September/October was nuts this year. How do you manage to do it while taking care of your kids as well?

I have an amazing husband who does everything so I can focus on school. The holiday season is difficult, but it is a benefit that I am the only jew in the science program at my school. All my friends copy thier notes or record classes and I am very good at making up any missed work immediately motzei yom tov and setting up office hours with my profs way in a advance to discuss what I missed when necessary. Also, I read my text book on shabbos and yom tov. IMO, G-d created the world so all science is G-dly and therefore allowed to be read on holy days. :thumbup:.

I guess I have enough non-traditional pre-med friends in real life. What I don't have in real life are other jewish friends dealing with the shabbos/yom tov and halachic issues of going to medical school. Also, while I have introduced most of my christian peers to homemade chicken soup - they still won't taste the gefilte fish. How can I take someone seriously if they never doused the pasty white fish into a mound of chrain?

One girl at my school the other day says to me, "I met another jew today, he was talking about being jewish so he reminded me of you. You know, not ashamed of being a jew." I'm like, huh? WTF? let me clarify that I have a very active social life with my college friends, but you know, a jew is a jew....

Actually, you're kind of missing the point. The average 28 year old mom who decides to go to med school will likely find that most people react quite positively and supportively. However, if she lived in a community which very traditional ideas about families and gender roles, she would find herself in a completely different position.

It's possible that TopDocChick has just as much (if not more) in common with other Orthodox Jewish female pre-meds, even 21 year olds, than she does with most non-trads.

Yes, it is true that my christian nontrad peers at school feel pride and support from their family and friends for taking such a huge undertaking, while I have suffered with the guilt and selfishness of my decision. A number of times, other woman at shul tried to convince me to drop out of college so I could be a good mom. As if I can't do both! Only this year, with my MCAT done and my applications in, have I felt that my community is excited about the outcome. Not that I need their approval - but it's nice to finally not need to defend my decision.

I got an odd (as in, why did I get this and why now?) email yesterday from a program in Israel:

"The Medical School for International Health (MSIH) offers a four year, American-style M.D. degree with a comprehensive focus on global health.

* Taught in English at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev

* Fourth year electives at Columbia University
Medical Center and its affiliated hospitals.

* Includes international clerkships in Ethiopia, India, Kenya, Peru, and Vietnam

Graduates of the MSIH obtain residencies at leading U.S. hospitals and institutions, and have the skills to treat individuals, promote health, and prevent diseases in global populations.

Visit the MSIH Web Page >>>

Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
Medical School for International Health
in collaboration with
Columbia University Medical Center
630 West 168th Street
PH15-East, Suite #1512
New York, NY 10032"

I had actually heard about this program from someone I met on the interview trail. At least, I think that's what he was talking about. So, if you went to this program it would be the equivalent of getting a foreign MD, right? I'm not interested, just curious (but apparently not curious enough to peruse their web site). I've heard that Israeli medical schools are quite good, but this seems to be something different.

And did anyone else get this email?

i just got this e-mail.. and it has nothing to do with AMCAS.. since i didnt even apply this year, its due to registering for the MCAT.. so is this legit? or try applying to a US school first?

i just got this e-mail.. and it has nothing to do with AMCAS.. since i didnt even apply this year, its due to registering for the MCAT.. so is this legit? or try applying to a US school first?

It's legit, and try applying to a US school first.

Jewish premed here. There are always at least a few on the interviews I have done so far.

Really? I would love to meet someone with the same background doing the same thing. I have yet to find any, and I have looked.
When you start visiting schools, ask the students you meet about Jewish life at that school. That question alone is almost sure to get you referred to one of the orthodox students. ;) I used to ask the students about nontrad life (I applied at age 30), but I still met several orthodox students (male and female, of various ages) that way at different schools when I was interviewing.

For those who are worried about being away from home during holidays, I think probably just about every medical school in the country has a relatively high number of Jewish students (and faculty) versus our proportion of the population. I certainly have not had any shortage of offers of people to spend holidays with when I can't make it home. You are also welcome to attend Hillel events as a medical student. Some chapters even have programs for graduate/professional students. In addition, every school has some kind of policy for people to miss school due to religious holidays. Again, if these things matter to you, ask the students you meet on your interview days for more info.

I admire you. I'm not any of those things, but I'm considering converting next year (depending on where I end up... it's not feasible to where I live now). Anyway, best of luck :)

another observant pre-med here :)
any other males (or females!!..im egal all the way) have interesting experiences wearing kippot to interviews? i wear mine to all of them, and im consistently stared at during lunch time. one of my interviewers even said to me, "so i assume your family is ultra orthodox?" i wanted to burst out laughing, but i dont think he would have understood why that would be so funny, especially when posed to a frum egalitarian!
enjoy turkey day...:D

any other males (or females!!..im egal all the way) have interesting experiences wearing kippot to interviews? i wear mine to all of them, and im consistently stared at during lunch time. one of my interviewers even said to me, "so i assume your family is ultra orthodox?" i wanted to burst out laughing, but i dont think he would have understood why that would be so funny, especially when posed to a frum egalitarian!

I wore a sheital. I usually wear bandannas or cute little caps to college but I felt that i had to blend better for the interview. In a way it made me look too stylish - you know how they are all poofy and such. It is so not me, and I hate wearing it. I was so jealous of the girls with their hair in nice ponytails or buns!

haha. my best story is that I had an interview at a school w/ a decent jewish population on erev shemini atzeret. when i walked in to the guy's office, he says, "why did you schedule an interview for erev chag!?" i was so taken aback that i wasnt sure how to respond, but we wound up discussing the parsha :)

Wishing everyone gets good news for Chaunkah presents!:thumbup:

Very True! Best of Luck to All!
Happy Channukah!
Chag Samayach!

Guys who wear kippahs are sexy. ;)

count me in

i'm jew...ish

from toronto

I was accused of being a Jew on multiple occasions in more than one country. And as far as I know I am at most a quarter Jewish.

Depends how you wear it. I've seen two ways. One way I like, the other... eh.

i usually try to hide them at all costs, but sometimes when i where my shirt untucked one or two strings will stick out.

by the way, girls in tefillin = SUPER hot.

What does everyone do for getting kosher food at interviews, if you're there for most of the day? Ask if they can accommodate you, or don't make a big deal and just bring your own food?

Non traditional applicant, Orthodox Jewish, married, 2 kids,

What does everyone do for getting kosher food at interviews, if you're there for most of the day? Ask if they can accommodate you, or don't make a big deal and just bring your own food?

At Upstate, they offered a Kosher meal option, and I think all the SUNy schools do (have no idea where you are of course). Personally, I'd probably just Deal with it (as you recently advised me to do as well, though this isn't meant to be a reply in kind).

Though on the other hand, it may be worth asking. Surely, there's enough Jewish doc's that they would have dealt with the issue before.

i usually try to hide them at all costs, but sometimes when i where my shirt untucked one or two strings will stick out.

by the way, girls in tefillin = SUPER hot.

barbie3.jpg

http://www.geniza.net/bar/barbie.shtml

wtf...

That is an awesome pic!

RE: Kosh
I just dealt with it at my IU interview. I was so nervous that I didn't even want to eat anyway. I grapped a diet pop and sat with the second and fourth year that I was assigned to. Nobody really noticed or cared.

How would you bring your own lunch? You'd have to carry a pretty big bag around all day. Maybe a small sack of pretzels or peanuts, but not a whole lunch.

most schools that ive been to have vending machines. I dont know abt e/o else but I think eating lunch on an interview day is nervewracking anyway, so a snickers bar with a frappuchino does just fine for me...

Just wanted to say hi! Happy Hanukkah to everyone!:D