Any jobs in USA as someone with a master in pharmacy from England (not pharmacist please) any field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bdsuk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any jobs available that would pay $40-50k starting in USA for someone with a Master in Pharmacy degree from England. Registered pharmacist in UK but not interested in becoming a registered pharmacist in USA. The more 9-5 the job no weekends steady schedule etc the better. The field of pharmacy is really interesting but after seeing how it is in USA, not interested on top of the fact it would take about 2+ years of going in to debt to get registered and no guarantee of a job afterwards anyways. I got a first which basically means about a 3.5-4.0 GPA if it matters.

Any recommendations would be great. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any jobs available that would pay $40-50k starting in USA for someone with a Master in Pharmacy degree from England. Registered pharmacist in UK but not interested in becoming a registered pharmacist in USA. The more 9-5 the job no weekends steady schedule etc the better. The field of pharmacy is really interesting but after seeing how it is in USA, not interested on top of the fact it would take about 2+ years of going in to debt to get registered and no guarantee of a job afterwards anyways. I got a first which basically means about a 3.5-4.0 GPA if it matters.

... Why are you asking here?

... Why are you asking here?

In case there have been pharmacists who left the field entirely and went on to do other things where being a registered pharmacist doesn't help.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can still get a job as a pharmacist, if you are willing to settle/move to an area of high demand like the state of Alaska (for one), assuming that is indeed your principal concern.

Sneak a peek at this supply-demand chart for U.S. pharmacists: PDI

EDIT: Yes, the job market sucks (mostly in the big cities), but with the right kind of strategy, you can still carve out for yourself, a successful career as a pharmacist here in the U.S. That is, if you really, really want to.

Last edited:
If you have any drug development background maybe a contract reseach organization? But not sure how portable MPharm is to that setting and you would have to get a work visa presumably?

Drug reps will hire pharmacists, you'll have a lower salary, but can make it up with bonuses. Poison control centers will hire pharmacists, but expect to get a nurses salary. You could get in to infomatics, if you are willing to combine computer knowledge with your pharmacist knowledge. And there are always companies that want people to have a bachelor's, and they don't care what the bachelor's is in (don't expect much above minimum wage for these jobs, at least starting out.)

Reactions: 1 user
Drug reps, medical writing would be a good one if you have good writing skills.

Any job will pay you well over $50k.

Not sure what part of the US that you're interested in residing in, but for a lot of areas that 40-50k will make it difficult to make ends meet...

Not sure what part of the US that you're interested in residing in, but for a lot of areas that 40-50k will make it difficult to make ends meet...

I'll feel really happy and satisfied with 40k-50k. Few areas where I wouldn't be happy with that. Anyways I will be in Florida.

I do not mean this as crass as it sounds, but do you have any skills? (Other than pharmacy)

If you have laboratory research experience, the pharmaceutical industry is an option. Without an advanced degree, however, you would be stuck at the lab technician level.

As mentioned above, sales.

Either way, without an active license you will basically be competing with a lot of Bachelor's level science grads for an entry level position.

Are you a US citizen? If so, you could look into the FDA - either as a consumer safety officer (e.g. perform inspections for the FDA) or as a project manager. Neither of those career tracks require a pharmacist license. You could also look into project management in industry if you aren't a US citizen.

I do not mean this as crass as it sounds, but do you have any skills? (Other than pharmacy)

If you have laboratory research experience, the pharmaceutical industry is an option. Without an advanced degree, however, you would be stuck at the lab technician level.

As mentioned above, sales.

Either way, without an active license you will basically be competing with a lot of Bachelor's level science grads for an entry level position.

No not really. Just completed pharmacy degree and one year work experience to get registered and half a year community pharmacy experience. I know I'll be competing with bachelor degree graduates, I was just wondering if there would be anything available for me that pays at least 40k starting (bit wishful probably).

I'm not an expert in pharmaceutical industry careers, but you could shoot for a medical science liaison position. You would be responsible for educating healthcare professionals about a pharmaceutical company's products. It's allegedly more ethical than being a drug rep without clinical knowledge who just pushes drugs on providers--but like I said I have no experience in the industry. It's a growing role that makes an average 150k+ a year, has upward movement potential, and you don't have to be a registered pharmacist. Like everyone else said though it depends on your experience. You'd probably have to start lower and intern at a company or something like that and prove yourself to work up to that 150k salary. And you'd need to be an expert in the field you choose (e.g. cardiology, rheumatology, etc.). I'd recommend looking at some online Medzilla job postings for MSL's and see if you would be a good candidate.

Edit: The job does usually involve travel though so that might not fit your "steady job" description. You might even start as an MSL in the UK and then move to the US if you wanted? I'm sure you could also market your "international experience" since most big pharma companies are global. Anyone with an accent from the UK sounds smart to us here!

Thanks I will look in to it. I prefer much lower paying jobs that are steady but I'll take a look as it sounds interesting, although challenging to break in to.

Are you a US citizen? If so, you could look into the FDA - either as a consumer safety officer (e.g. perform inspections for the FDA) or as a project manager. Neither of those career tracks require a pharmacist license. You could also look into project management in industry if you aren't a US citizen.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately just a green card (permanent resident). I will look in to project management thank you.

Keep in mind much of that 40-50k will be gone after taxes, health insurance and 401k contributions.

I would love to more about the consumer safety officer position. Is it difficult to obtain as a pharmacist?

I would love to more about the consumer safety officer position. Is it difficult to obtain as a pharmacist?

Pharmacist - Direct Hire

Depends on which city you want to work in. Certain cities (Seattle, San Francisco) are pretty hard to get jobs in, but there are usually DC-area, Chicago, Piscataway jobs always. No, it is traditionally not difficult for pharmacists to get GS-12/13 appointments depending on experience. However, it is very unlikely that you promote beyond 13 in a career (you have to actively campaign for a 14, and pharmacists are above the cap for 15's at the moment).

Supervisory Pharmacist (Informatics)
Unusually, the GS-14 Informatics chief of the NIH Clinical Center is open (you'll do better than the previous incumbent). If you have skills in that area, it's a pretty good gig.