Any Kaplan teachers in training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've nearly finished the training course- one lesson to go. Anyone else in my boat? Scared about being handed an actual class?

Members don't see this ad.

My teacher asked me if I would be interested in teaching Kaplan next summer. I'm kind of on the fence about it. What is the time committment for the training? How much do you get paid for teaching a class?

I've nearly finished the training course- one lesson to go. Anyone else in my boat? Scared about being handed an actual class?
The first class is always the hardest because you don't know what to expect. Your jitters are totally normal. The best advice I can give to you is to prepare yourself and know your lesson COLD. You should use the TEL as a prompt to jog your memory, not as a script. If you have to sit there and read from it, you aren't properly prepared. FYI, the prep time guidelines they give you are grossly inadequate for a first-time instructor. You'll probably need to spend at least double that amount of time if you want to be adequately prepared. What I like to do is to get a copy of a student lesson book, and write my notes in it. That way, I'm seeing what the student sees, and when I try the problems, it's easier for me to understand the places where students are liable to run into trouble. Plus it takes care of the issue of having a bunch of loose TELs floating all over the place. Best of luck with your first class. :)

I just finished the Kaplan training a few weeks ago and will start my first class on Sept. 16th :eek: . Its exciting, but very scary at the same time. The one good thing is that at my Kaplan center MCAT instructors are in high demand so you are almost always guaranteed a class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yea.... on top of having to start my first class on the 16th, I have to prep a whole new TEL. Just picked it up a few days ago, and it is pretty different from the old one that i spent countless hours prepping during training. Awesome...

Elicit: Prepping the TEL sucks balls.
Discuss: Yes it does.
Transition: So now that we've talked about how prepping the TEL sucks balls, let's hope we can go without it once we get our bearings.

Oh yea.... on top of having to start my first class on the 16th, I have to prep a whole new TEL. Just picked it up a few days ago, and it is pretty different from the old one that i spent countless hours prepping during training. Awesome...

How much do you guys make as an MCAT instructor? After studying for a few months, I can't imagine spending any more of my time thinking about that exam unless the pay was great.

How much do you guys make as an MCAT instructor? After studying for a few months, I can't imagine spending any more of my time thinking about that exam unless the pay was great.
It is. ;) Pay varies based on your geographic location, level of experience, and the demand for your subjects taught.

Schaden, it gets easier from here on out. I promise. :)

It is. ;) Pay varies based on your geographic location, level of experience, and the demand for your subjects taught.

Schaden, it gets easier from here on out. I promise. :)

Good to hear :) . What do you think a novice teacher with a very good MCAT score (crossing my fingers) would make in a pre-med-infested area (Research Triangle area, NC)?

Thanks Q.

Kaplan makes 1.4 billion a year in revenue. How much do they pay the people who make that huge revenue possible?

$10 per hour I heard...

Yes, I would like to know how much kaplan teachers make. My teacher used to tell me that the pay was quite good. However, he never mentioned exactly how much, and I was never curious until now.

$22/hour for teaching
$7/hour for Out of Class Prep
$10/hour for Test Proctoring