any korean-american-hines-ward-fan premeds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godfadda

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
about time a seoul brother won the super bowl mvp...ahhhh yeah

Members don't see this ad.

that's pretty harsh, considering how humble he really is

from a post-game interview:
"Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw, Rice, Montana, Elway, Brady.
Ward.

'You picture what something like that will be like,' he said, smiling, 'but you just can't imagine. Really, you can't imagine. I can't believe it. I can't believe for one day I was one of them.'"

you gotta admit, he came up with the goods when it counted

Members don't see this ad :)
holler at that!

I HATE anyone and everyone associated with the Steelers organization.

Bill Cowher is Satan and he needs to be purged from the Earth. =P

hines ward passed lynn swann on pittsburgh's all time receiving list...so i suppose lynn swann is a legend in his own mind as well

hines ward for governor!

godfadda said:
about time a seoul brother won the super bowl mvp...ahhhh yeah

is he 1/2 korean?

yes i think his mother is korean and his dad was african-american but abandoned them when he was really young or born.

yay for hines ward! i actually met him during undergrad at univ of georgia. he came once to the korean-american student association meeting. he's a nice guy. during undergrad he would go home on weekends as much as possible to help his mom. he said he had to make sure he read all the mail and wrote out all the checks for bills because his mom's english wasn't very good.

i hope he has much success in his future as well.

you can read all about it here...if anyone connected to hollywood is reading this, i'd like to play hines ward in the hines ward movie (please)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060131/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_super_bowl_ward_s_return

apparently his mother is a superstar in korea
hines: "I can't even describe to you what it would mean to win a Super Bowl for her. The whole world is watching, and I'm representing the Korean community. That's part of who I am. I'm half Korean and half African-American."

The guy is a mouth on legs.
So is everyone else on that team.

And didn't Bill Cowher's mother ever warn him that his face might freeze that way some day?

godfadda said:
you can read all about it here...if anyone connected to hollywood is reading this, i'd like to play hines ward in the hines ward movie (please)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060131/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_super_bowl_ward_s_return

apparently his mother is a superstar in korea
hines: "I can't even describe to you what it would mean to win a Super Bowl for her. The whole world is watching, and I'm representing the Korean community. That's part of who I am. I'm half Korean and half African-American."

So I have always wondered this as an outsider to the Korean community looking in: How accepted are mixed children, who are half-korean, accepted within the korean community?

I just always wondered this. I grew up going to school with alot of koreans in los angeles. I am blessed to have had the opportunity to learn alot more about other cultures at such a young age, but there are things about specific cultures that I have always wondered.

So to all of yall who can inform a brotha...speak up and edumacate...lol...me.

cya around!

i definitely don't speak for everyone, but i'll take a shot at your question

the korean identity has historically been self-defined to be one of homogeneity...as a result of this, it's pretty easy to pick the koreans out of a group of koreans, chinese, and japanese just by appearance
so the old-fashioned generation would probably not accept mixed children as readily (although i do think that one of the most important factors in acceptance by koreans in korea is the ability to speak korean...even if both of your parents are korean, if you can't speak the language then they won't accept you as a korean)

however, by looking at the pop culture scene in korea today it's obvious that many, many things have changed in the past 50 years
there are a number of r&b stars who are of mixed heritage (e.g. tasha), and one of the popular actors right now is hapa (daniel henney)

so to answer your question, i'd say that the korean community (especially the korean american community) of today doesn't pre-judge people by the % of korean blood in them

bubbleyum said:
yes i think his mother is korean and his dad was african-american but abandoned them when he was really young or born.

actually, as i've heard it, his father did not abandon him. yes, his mother is korean and his father is african american. it says in a korean publication from LA that he plans 2 visit korea maybe next year with his mother. actually his parents divorced when he was young and the court awarded guardianship of hines 2 his father b/c they felt that his mother couldn't raise him since she couldn't speak english well enough 2 get a job in their humble opinion. he ran away 2 his mother when he was in 2nd grade or sth and since then has lived with / been very close 2 his mom. she worked 3 jobs but still was there 2 make him his meals and even though her son is a superstar NFL player, she still works at 1 of her old jobs i think - in a school cafeteria and he sometimes visits her and the kids at the school. hines ward is proud of being korean and is very close with his mother so alot of the KA community was behind the steelers and happy when he won the MVP. u gotta give him some props - he's one of the best blocking receivers out there - he's not greedy like some ppl, say TO - he'll block and let others make the play and always does it with a smile. alot of the steelers r that way which is one of the reasons, i wasn't surprised that they ripped a hole in the seahawks. though i dunno about the ben TD call...

will demps on baltimore is also 1/2 korean btw.

the alchemist said:
actually, as i've heard it, his father did not abandon him. yes, his mother is korean and his father is african american. it says in a korean publication from LA that he plans 2 visit korea maybe next year with his mother. actually his parents divorced when he was young and the court awarded guardianship of hines 2 his father b/c they felt that his mother couldn't raise him since she couldn't speak english well enough 2 get a job in their humble opinion. he ran away 2 his mother when he was in 2nd grade or sth and since then has lived with / been very close 2 his mom. she worked 3 jobs but still was there 2 make him his meals and even though her son is a superstar NFL player, she still works at 1 of her old jobs i think - in a school cafeteria and he sometimes visits her and the kids at the school. hines ward is proud of being korean and is very close with his mother so alot of the KA community was behind the steelers and happy when he won the MVP. u gotta give him some props - he's one of the best blocking receivers out there - he's not greedy like some ppl, say TO - he'll block and let others make the play and always does it with a smile. alot of the steelers r that way which is one of the reasons, i wasn't surprised that they ripped a hole in the seahawks. though i dunno about the ben TD call...

will demps on baltimore is also 1/2 korean btw.

sorry i wasn't fully informed. i never read up on hines ward or anything. that was just the general word on his "dad situation" that i heard during college. all i had heard was that his dad "left him and his mom" back then, didn't know about the whole being awarded custody etc etc. i guess now that he's getting more media attention there are more researched articles and interviews out there. which is a good thing.