Any Korean-American Premeds out therE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undignified

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
let's start a korean-american thread :cool:
i'm transfering to uci next fall.. go anteaters!

Members don't see this ad.

i'll bite. represent!

fight-ing! :)

:D yayuh!! dae~ han min gook! btw, how's the weather there?

Members don't see this ad :)
undignified said:
:D yayuh!! dae~ han min gook! btw, how's the weather there?

oddly enough, still cold! nights ~40's... days 60s or 70s

skorea's gonna kick some major soccer ass this summer! :)

nycpizza said:

I'm not Korean but I'm addicted to Korean BBQ. Mmmmm I'm hungry now.

Bul Kalbi is so good. It's one of the few things I miss since I've become a vegetarian.

Pkboi24 said:
Bul Kalbi is so good. It's one of the few things I miss since I've become a vegetarian.
Ouch. Kalbi is the reason I could never be a vegetarian.

o man.. galbi.. i'm hungry right now too.....
yay i'll go get some korean bbq later keke :p

oh yeah korean soccer is the jjang!
you going to watch games on t.v.? (nycpijja)

pkboi, are you a pk? i've heard of link before.. ur the founder?
one of my dreams is to go to n.k., and be able to give some help with medicine, and hope.

nycpizza said:

I sure hope they kick ass in soccer. You know that whole WBC vs Japan was crap. 3 games against a rival team! Either way, I am looking forward to the World Cup!

There are other good Korean foods you guys arent mentioning! I for one am partial to the fast food (I tend to be a healthy eater, ie. vegetables, whole foods etc...) of "Ra Myun" :) I just can give that stuff up! Long live neoguri!

undignified said:
one of my dreams is to go to n.k., and be able to give some help with medicine, and hope.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: to you!

yeah i think things are pretty sad over there.

undignified said:

Sorry to disappoint, but no. I'm one of the founders of the University of Texas @ Austin Chapter of LiNK. We're one of the founding chapters and the first in the South. The founder of LiNK is Adrian. He's working for LiNK in DC right now. As for PK, those are just my initials. My father is an electrician, haha. I'm not even Korean. I'm Chinese. This is where Korean people usually go "WHAT!?" because I look so Korean, or so I've been told.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pkboi24 said:
Sorry to disappoint, but no. I'm one of the founders of the University of Texas @ Austin Chapter of LiNK. We're one of the founding chapters and the first in the South. The founder of LiNK is Adrian. He's working for LiNK in DC right now. As for PK, those are just my initials. My father is an electrician, haha. I'm not even Korean. I'm Chinese. This is where Korean people usually go "WHAT!?" because I look so Korean, or so I've been told.
What is a PK?

adiddas125 said:
What is a PK?

"pastor's kid" :)
pretty common mongst the church-going korean americans.

bubbleyum said:
"pastor's kid" :)
pretty common mongst the church-going korean americans.
I feel like such an ignorant K-AM :( Sorry for being so not up to snuff.

adiddas125 said:
I feel like such an ignorant K-AM :( Sorry for being so not up to snuff.

no need to apologize, just come to church! ;)

bubbleyum said:
no need to apologize, just come to church! ;)
I havent been to church in ages. Probably for about maybe.... For about 16-17 years.
Well I visited a church once in high school, but it just wasnt what I expect. Oh well, not for everyone right?

being a korean male on the east coast sucks in the application process

not korean, but ppl always think that i am korean... i blame my skin color :rolleyes:

Yay! I was wondering when a Korean-American thread was going to pop up. Im visiting the homeland too in the end of June. Last time I was there was for a week in 9th grade..don't remember too much of it. Strangely, I haven't come across very many Korean pre-meds, and this is coming from a girl that lives in so cal and went to uci undergrad. Most of the koreans at uci were on the other side of campus in the social sciences area...wierd..

i'm also going to the motherland this summer
anyone else?

m0nkeymanxx said:
being a korean male on the east coast sucks in the application process
Why's that?

Oh yeah, all Koreans, hollah!

m0nkeymanxx said:
because they're so many of them!!! :thumbdown:
Yes, this is true. I'm curious why esp. Koreans are so into medicine, perhaps a cultural reason. Any other thoughts on this?

leesh said:
Yes, this is true. I'm curious why esp. Koreans are so into medicine, perhaps a cultural reason. Any other thoughts on this?

Has alot to do with our parents.
making money = being succesful
so in their list of succesfful careers, there's usually only three. doctors, lawyers and business men.

are there really that many of us?

well in new jersey there are... i know of at least 10 people just in my town that are applying for 2007. thats alot when most schools on the east coast only accept 1-5 koreans

my dad always told me to not go into medicine
but yeah i think that koreans in general glorify medicine...in the old country, it was seen as a ticket to america, at least when my dad went to med school there

For those considering a trip back to the tiny peninsula:

-Check out the DMZ tour. If you go, make sure you go down the infiltration tunnels all the way to the door with the armed guard still standing vigil(those wily North communists!). It's a neat piece of history.

-Nam Dae Mun outdoor market is a fantastic place to kill a few hours and spend a few hundred thousand won.

-Chosun Beach is gorgeous(if it's not raining)

-Mt. Sorak, famous for having 999 turns from the top to the bottom (take dramamine beforehand) during the drive. At the top there's buddhist temples to tour, and ancient villages.

Oh yeah--don't forget to try a Pulgogi burger at the McDonald's. Eat approx. 15 lbs. of Kalbi every day. Lather, rinse, repeat.

i was born in new york. Visited korea when i was about 10 and never gone back. really should go visit

haha that's funny.. man.. i haven't been to Korea in around 4 years! ..

hm!! i'm going to be at UCI for undergrad this upcoming fall!! LOL.. i'll be in social sciences area too hahaha :D (hmm that's where the science library is right?)

Be the reds! man I want one of those shirts; apparantly this year's motto is better still..

blantant said:
are there really that many of us?
A lot of us chinese are invading this thread.

me!
that would be me, as well.

When I first saw this thread, I sorta laughed...
Aren't all Koreans born pre-med or pre-law?

Holler, peeps... Dae-Han-Meen Goog! clap clap, clap clap, clap

undignified said:
haha that's funny.. man.. i haven't been to Korea in around 4 years! ..

hm!! i'm going to be at UCI for undergrad this upcoming fall!! LOL.. i'll be in social sciences area too hahaha :D (hmm that's where the science library is right?)

No, the science library is in the bio science area which is on the other side of campus from social sciences. As a bio major you dont really go to the social science area unless ur taking some psych or soc classes or some other elective.

Doko said:
When I first saw this thread, I sorta laughed...
Aren't all Koreans born pre-med or pre-law?

Holler, peeps... Dae-Han-Meen Goog! clap clap, clap clap, clap

I actually know waaaaaaaaay more chinese as pre-med or in med school. I kno LOTS of koreans that are pre-law or in law school.

it's interesting to see a lot of chinese people posting here (not that i have a problem with that, it's all good)
i went to college in the bay area, where there were about 40 koreans per grade...but there were so many more chinese students that i never saw any non-fob swarms of koreans walking around...my best friends were chinese

meanwhile my cousin went to dartmouth, where there were also about 40 koreans per grade
but she told me that koreans were the largest asian group on campus

just a random thought, that's all

hustleandflow said:
it's interesting to see a lot of chinese people posting here (not that i have a problem with that, it's all good)
i went to college in the bay area, where there were about 40 koreans per grade...but there were so many more chinese students that i never saw any non-fob swarms of koreans walking around...my best friends were chinese

meanwhile my cousin went to dartmouth, where there were also about 40 koreans per grade
but she told me that koreans were the largest asian group on campus

just a random thought, that's all

Chinese people take over everything. We're invading the US right now, it's just that no one knows it. Our strategy is to take over all 3 coasts and surround the inland states. I know this because that is my secret mission here in Texas. What else would I be doing here?

The More You Know: Northwestern and UT-Southwestern has the greatest number of Chinese matriculants in 2005 (26). University of Illinois had the most number of Korean matriculants in 2005 (21).

My theory is that sometime before the world ends, everyone will have a little Chinese in them.

koreans are taking over the world!
save us

I was about to start the korean thread but someone beat me to it. I want Kalbi now. MMMmm

hm.. that's gonna be funn cuz i'm a sociology major, and need to take ochem and physics... would ochem be in the biology buildings?? i'm mighty excited about uci... hmm is the hospital at uci good for volunteering?

hahaha i always laugh at my non-korean friends who always and i mean, ALWAYS order bi-bim-bap whenever we have korean eats. i'm like, dudes, theres sooooooo much more to korean food than bibimbap. Try other stuff! but they are so stubborn. heheh

i honestly think that korean food is the best, most healthy food in the world. (trying not to be biased here)

I'd like 15 orders of Kalbi, choo-say-oh!!

Pkboi24 said:
Chinese people take over everything. We're invading the US right now, it's just that no one knows it. Our strategy is to take over all 3 coasts and surround the inland states. I know this because that is my secret mission here in Texas. What else would I be doing here?

The More You Know: Northwestern and UT-Southwestern has the greatest number of Chinese matriculants in 2005 (26). University of Illinois had the most number of Korean matriculants in 2005 (21).

My theory is that sometime before the world ends, everyone will have a little Chinese in them.

yeah, it's true. the chinese economy is blooming like crazy, and i think they might even beat the US's economy one day (are they now though? i haven't follow the news a lot lately). china has a lot of wealthy ppl(man, they spend their money like crazy over there)

don't forget india also. indian economy is rising also, i think.

soon everyone needs to learn chinese to be success in the business world. *sigh* actually, perhaps every profession....asian ppl dominate numerous professions these days.

imagine everyone speaks chinese in the U.S. wow, that'll be so weird. :laugh:

i think Chinese ppl are very compatable with Koreans.. is that true?? Just felt that the two cultures are very similar.. Oh and Chinese people are addicted to Korean dramas... :)