any lengthy chemistry calculation questions on pcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekoffee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was reading the Kaplan Pcat study aide and noticed many lengthy chemistry calculations using stuff like ideal gas law equations. I was just wondering if there would be long calculation questions like that on the pcat and if we need to memorize any constants like gas constants, what STP, SATP is, etc?

thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Constants are always given, don't worry about that.

I think most questions can be easily worked out, it's not going to involve numbers with a load of decimal places, just simple division with whole numbers.

Constants are always given, don't worry about that.

I think most questions can be easily worked out, it's not going to involve numbers with a load of decimal places, just simple division with whole numbers.

In addition to lenghty calculations, are there many 'calculation questions'? that is, are majority of the chem questions caclutations or are there more conceptual questions?? i'm asking because i just bought the pearson practice test, and on both tests there seemed to be 7-8 questions that actually required calculation, and the rest did not. Thx Alot!

Members don't see this ad :)
do we need to memorize all the molecules and enzymes in krebs and calvin cycle?

thanks

no, i think it's best to memorize what comes in of cycle/pathway and the product, the number of NADH, FADH2, CO2, ATP produced. What is NADH used as, what's the last electron acceptor. Just know the main points, don't have to memorize every step.

In addition to lenghty calculations, are there many 'calculation questions'? that is, are majority of the chem questions caclutations or are there more conceptual questions?? i'm asking because i just bought the pearson practice test, and on both tests there seemed to be 7-8 questions that actually required calculation, and the rest did not. Thx Alot!
I found last year in the chemistry section there were a LOT less calculation questions than I expected especially after the practice tests showed a lot of calculation type general chemistry questions. That's not to say it won't change year to year but I just don't think calculations are a big focal point in the chemistry section when there's a lot more being tested like periodic table trends or reaction mechanisms and stuff like that.

If you find yourself doing a lengthy calculation, you probably missed the trick. For example, they will throw out a lot of numbers for a gas law problem but usually all you have to do is double the pressure or something easy like that.

When I took the test in January, if it was a calculation problem that was going to take more than 20 seconds or so, I skipped it and went back to it at the end to make sure I had a chance to see all of the conceptual questions. I didn't end up skipping that many because they were mostly conceptual. So if I had a limited amount of time to study, I would recommend knowing your concepts and trends and then worry about getting good at calculations.