any LGBT predentals out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dentalboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I'm new to SDN, and I was just wondering if any of you awesome pre-dentals out there are LGBT? If you are, here are some questions for you:

1) which is the most lgbt-friendly dental school?
2) what factors are you considering in choosing a school?
3) are there any lgbt pre-dental groups out there? (i think i know of one at Tufts, but not sure..)

Anyway..hope to hear from some of you! Feel free to PM on this one!

-dentalboy :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transexual = LGBT

oh, i'm not LGBT,
here's a funny pic:
dont-masturbate.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not LGBT either. but that pic is messed up.i have a kitten. :scared:

Hey dentalboy,

I have several LGBT friends and I'll ask around. I don't know of any specific groups or schools, but I would think of the area the school is in. Unfortunately, some parts of this country are still pretty closed minded and I would guess that living there as a LGBT person could be fairly difficult. If I hear anything more, I'll let you know. Good luck!

dentalboy said:
Hey guys-

I'm new to SDN, and I was just wondering if any of you awesome pre-dentals out there are LGBT? If you are, here are some questions for you:

3) are there any lgbt pre-dental groups out there? (i think i know of one at Tufts, but not sure..)

my advice is to try to go to a school in a blue state. UCSF is a liberal school, BU is too, UCLA as well. This is just my brainstorming, I dont know any specifics and I dont know anyone who is LGBT, but Im just using my common sense. Good luck with everything and stay away from the Bible belt if you can

I think NYU might definetly have some LGBT groups or organizations, It's in the <3 of the city and LGBT tends to be very much accepted in NY.

i'm pretty sure almost all public universities tend to be pretty liberal... maybe not many of the private schools though.

Biogirl361 said:
i'm pretty sure almost all public universities tend to be pretty liberal... maybe not many of the private schools though.

I think public vs. private has little to do with the how accepting the students are to LGBT issues. I would take egpndoc's advise and stick to the blue states.

AUG2UAG said:
oh, i'm not LGBT,
here's a funny pic:
dont-masturbate.jpg

This was a favorite pick of my micro professor. He would sometimes flash this, and much more 'controversial' pics, in lecture. Good times, good times...

egpndoc said:
my advice is to try to go to a school in a blue state. UCSF is a liberal school, BU is too, UCLA as well. This is just my brainstorming, I dont know any specifics and I dont know anyone who is LGBT, but Im just using my common sense. Good luck with everything and stay away from the Bible belt if you can

I agree. Think coastal regions.

Hey guys-

Thanks for the advice. I definitely applied to schools in the major cities Boston, NY, Philly and spent extra time at each school exploring the queer community. I'm just hoping not to be the only one in my year at which ever school I end up at!

dentalboy =)

Odds are you will be the only one or one of two or three. It really should not matter. The fact is you will be going to a professional school. You will be there to learn dentistry not to discuss LGBT issues. I dont plan on sitting in lab or lecture talking about White, Asian, Black, Hispanic, straight, or LGBT rights. Save that for undergrad were social philosophy other than dental ethics mattters. I guess my advice to you is not to worry about finding a gay friendly school. Your LGBT status should remain private and not become a topic of conversation during class. What you should look for is a gay friendly city. Only during social, after school time is it appropriate to talk about any type of sexuality.

Members don't see this ad :)
J2AZ, I couldnt disagree more...while religion, race, and sexuality shouldnt be topics in the classroom, in terms of where to live and whom to associate with it is an extremely important and senitive issue and a great topic that should be talked about here on SDN (I myself am a relgious minority...yeah I dont celebrate christmas and am not down with JC). Dentalboy, I have to tell you that dental schools are extremely conservative regardless of where you end up living...its just part of the experience. I have heard stories of students getting crap for improper haircuts, nails being too short, attire, lab coats, etc. You are judged on your appearance and personality every single day (while in clinic). Seeing how close minded people are in professional schools (still...yes its 2005 but things dont change in dental/med/law school) you might have to deal with some stuff...but nothing too serious. Nobody will hold this against you (or at least I would hope they wouldnt) but I am sure you wont get out of school scot-free. As others have said I would stay away from red states particularly the bible belt and the midwest (unless you are in a major city) and institutions that pride themselves on religion. Oh and Biogirl, you would be surprised how conservative public schools can be. I think its more of a location issue and not a public/private school issue. New York would probably be your best bet.

Quoting Bullfan16 "nails too short...". Would that be for women? Boy, I guess this hockey playing, beer drinking tomboy might have problems too. I'm addicted to chocolate though, and that's very feminine, right? Well, didn't mean to highjack the thread...I would think UOP would be a good one, being in San Fran and all.

Bullfan16 said:
J2AZ, I couldnt disagree more...while religion, race, and sexuality shouldnt be topics in the classroom, in terms of where to live and whom to associate with it is an extremely important and senitive issue and a great topic that should be talked about here on SDN (I myself am a relgious minority...yeah I dont celebrate christmas and am not down with JC). Dentalboy, I have to tell you that dental schools are extremely conservative regardless of where you end up living...its just part of the experience. I have heard stories of students getting crap for improper haircuts, nails being too short, attire, lab coats, etc. You are judged on your appearance and personality every single day (while in clinic). Seeing how close minded people are in professional schools (still...yes its 2005 but things dont change in dental/med/law school) you might have to deal with some stuff...but nothing too serious. Nobody will hold this against you (or at least I would hope they wouldnt) but I am sure you wont get out of school scot-free. As others have said I would stay away from red states particularly the bible belt and the midwest (unless you are in a major city) and institutions that pride themselves on religion. Oh and Biogirl, you would be surprised how conservative public schools can be. I think its more of a location issue and not a public/private school issue. New York would probably be your best bet.

I agree with this statement. I don't believe it's a matter of the OP making an issue out of his sexuality as others creating an issue about it. It's a valid concern. I too believe health professional schools tend to be conservative but what needs to be determined is what are a particular school's attitude towards and track record concerning sexual harassment.

Dukie said:
...some parts of this country are still pretty closed minded...
Let's not confuse "close-minded" with "having the backbone to take a stand." There really are people out there with morals.

J2AZ said:
Odds are you will be the only one or one of two or three. It really should not matter. The fact is you will be going to a professional school. You will be there to learn dentistry not to discuss LGBT issues. I dont plan on sitting in lab or lecture talking about White, Asian, Black, Hispanic, straight, or LGBT rights. Save that for undergrad were social philosophy other than dental ethics mattters. I guess my advice to you is not to worry about finding a gay friendly school. Your LGBT status should remain private and not become a topic of conversation during class. What you should look for is a gay friendly city. Only during social, after school time is it appropriate to talk about any type of sexuality.

Agreed. Most of your socializing will be outside of class. Most are in D-school to learn dentistry. Even if their were a "gay friendly" school there still will be people who wont like the idea...But then again there is always San Fran :D

If you maintain a professional attitude you should be ok almost anywhere. If someone has a problem with you being gay it is their problem. If they harass you then its the school's problem and should be dealt with.
Anyway there are plenty of heterosexuals that have no problems with your sexuality, so unless you specifically want gay friends there are plenty of non-LGB to hang with.

toofache32 said:
Let's not confuse "close-minded" with "having the backbone to take a stand." There really are people out there with morals.

Yeah! they got the backbone, but too bad they lack the brainstem

toofache32 said:

Since when is being true to yourself immoral?

airvent said:
Yeah! they got the backbone, but too bad they lack the brainstem
Smug condescension: the last refuge of a perspective too limited to appreciate a dissenting platform.

The militant activism, working tirelessly to crush the opposing view, would normally be plenty by itself. But when it's supposedly working for open-mindedness & tolerance, the irony is just too comical for me to take seriously. While I may lack a brainstem, at least my arguments aren't undercut by their very existence.

toofache32 said:
..."having the backbone to take a stand."...

...against someone because their belief system differs from your own? This is the only reference to militant activism that I have come across. Let's not collapse this thread into a myopic binary of conservative versus liberal views and 'agendas'.

Bullfan16 said:

Don't miss the big picture though. The reason for correct attire, judgment of personality, and clean cut nails is that you are training to be a healthcare professional. I don't know about you guys, but if my dentist came into the office and looked like he just rolled out of bed, I wouldn't be very confident as a patient. It's not about conforming...it's about training to be professional. It's about giving your patient confidence by looking well kept (even if they are dental school clinic patients). I do agree with J2AZ though, Dental school is a place to get an education. I think it is wonderful if you are a religious minority, sexual minority, or racial minority, but looking at the big picture again, the next four years are about putting your head down and working towards becoming a dentist. If you have orgainzations and groups that help you...great...but it may be something that the city around you provides rather than your school. And that's OK too! By the way Bullfan...there are a LOT of people in dent school that don't belive in JC! :) These are good discussions though. It's important to know about what we're all getting into! Good luck.

Sprgrover said:
...against someone because their belief system differs from your own? This is the only reference to militant activism that I have come across. Let's not collapse this thread into a myopic binary of conservative versus liberal views and 'agendas'.
Yeah, you're right. Calmly reinforcing your views? That's inexcusable. Telling someone they have a complete absence of intelligence because they disagree--now that's what I call productive. C'mon, man.

Literati81 said:
Hmm, that kitty looks mighty familiar...

LOL. Sorry dude. I stole your idea. LOL

dentalboy said:
Hey guys-

Try Case then :D :D :D

Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students:

Case Western Reserve University is committed to respecting all members of the campus community, and because of this institution's support of diversity, I am pleased to announce the creation of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) resource website.

This website is designed to provide information and support to the entire campus community, with a special emphasis on issues of tolerance. It provides links to faculty and student social organizations, as well as details about Case's domestic partner policies. There also is information about the latest news and research regarding LGBT issues and concerns.

We continually strive to make the campus environment welcoming for everyone. For more information, please visit the LGBT website at http://www.case.edu/provost/lgbt , and see the news release below.

Sincerely,

Lynn Singer

CLEVELAND - Case Western Reserve University's Office of the President and the Provost has launched a new website specifically for current and prospective LGBT campus faculty, staff, students, alums, and their allies.

An official launch party is scheduled for Thursday, March 3, in Thwing Atrium during the Provost's Hour, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Case already offers domestic partner benefits and campus support. The site deepens the university's commitment to encouraging and appreciating diversity on campus.

"At Case Western Reserve University, tolerance and respect in our widely diverse culture is a core value, one we celebrate in many ways," says Case president Edward M. Hundert, M.D. "We encourage and support diversity on this campus - and, in particular, our members who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. We are all privileged to live, work, and learn in this environment."

The site offers in-depth resources including links to research, campus and community organizations, information on health and wellness, political initiatives, tools for reducing and dealing with homophobia in the classroom, "coming out" support, local and national events, and national news of interest.

Case's LGBT website can be viewed at http://www.case.edu/provost/lgbt/.

aphistis said:
...Telling someone they have a complete absence of intelligence because they disagree--now that's what I call productive. C'mon, man.

I didn't state that nor did I endorse that statement of lacking intelligence due to differences of opinion.

Its fine to have your own beliefs, its just many think "defending" their beliefs means imposing them on others. LGB are not exactly trying to convert you to their side.

Accepting homosexuals isn't imposing a belief on you, but it is more about allowing others to practice their beliefs freely. You have the First amendment right to say that homosexuality is amoral, just like the KKK has the right to march down Main Street.

My quip about the brainstem was a response to the inference that everyone else who tolerates LGBT is amoral.

ANyway folks were just giving advice here until the Anti-LGBT showed up.

toofache32 said:
Exactly. Why is that bad?

While I certainly don't agree with every person's interpretation of morals, values, and judgements I do value and appreciate the privilege and right that allows me as well as them the freedom to formulate and maintain these things. I'm not claiming it is wrong to defend your beliefs if they are questioned, but historically 'taking a stand' against others because of differences of personal beliefs and values tends to lead to persecution and irrational acts such as hate crimes.

Dentalboy,
What you have withnessed on this discussion board is a glimpse of what you will encounter in the dental school; you will see people with very broad opinins in any regard. I not here to defend either side but rather to tell you that as you saw the letter from Case, larger universities with many student organizations, do also have a GLBT club for the entire campus and they have resourses to help you network with other GLBT people. Be yourself and proud of what you have been given/not given and dont let any aspect of your life define who you are. Best of luck.

I'm not persecuting or trying to impose my beliefs on anyone, and I apologize if I came across that way. It's hard to disagree with liberals without being branded as a playa-hater. This is understandable considering the tendency for liberals to believe that no actions are bad/wrong, except for disagreement with someone committing these actions. My liberal friends have the hardest time accepting that I disagree with their "well-reasoned logic." Now that's close-minded in my opinion.

Don't be so offended by disagreement. My homosexual friends know where I stand and I know where they stand. End of issue. Beyond that, we get along great and always look forward to seeing each other and hanging out. Now that's tolerance. The pseudo-tolerance of liberals is merely refusing to take a stand on issues. Which is understandable because all actions seem to be acceptable to liberals, so what is there to disagree with?

The only thing gay in this forum is Toofache32's Avatar.

Animation of Barney spankin' it, if dass not gay I don't know what is...

toofache32 said:
I'm not persecuting or trying to impose my beliefs on anyone, and I apologize if I came across that way. It's hard to disagree with liberals without being branded as a playa-hater. This is understandable considering the tendency for liberals to believe that no actions are bad/wrong, except for disagreement with someone committing these actions. My liberal friends have the hardest time accepting that I disagree with their "well-reasoned logic." Now that's close-minded in my opinion.

Don't be so offended by disagreement. My homosexual friends know where I stand and I know where they stand. End of issue. Beyond that, we get along great and always look forward to seeing each other and hanging out. Now that's tolerance. The pseudo-tolerance of liberals is merely refusing to take a stand on issues. Which is understandable because all actions seem to be acceptable to liberals, so what is there to disagree with?

Once again, couldn't have said it better. :thumbup:

prob not case

I think it is interesting that certain schools, say CWRU, actually have to make an effort to create LGBT resources and tolerances. If it was so LGBT already to start with, why need one?

Second opinion, I wouldn't go to Loma Linda U because they are quite religious.

jk5177 said:
I think it is interesting that certain schools, say CWRU, actually have to make an effort to create LGBT resources and tolerances. If it was so LGBT already to start with, why need one?

In response to the passage of state Issue 1, a ban on nontraditional marriages, in Ohio's 2004 election.

hey OP. it's cool that you are comfortable with who you are and don't feel the need to hide it. :thumbup:

though i know your sexual preference governs certain areas of your life, i would try to not let it get in the way of your goal of becoming a dentist. like someone else pointed out, i would try to leave issues of sexuality out of the classroom. choose schools for their programs and what they have to offer if you decide to specialize. don't limit yourself to certain schools soley because they don't have a LGBT group.

we are all going to attend d-school to become dentists, not to discuss politics, sexuality, etc.

all in all, just choose schools you feel comfortable with. and if they happen to have a LGBT group, even better :p

good luck!

aphistis said:
Once again, couldn't have said it better. :thumbup:
For what it's worth, I'm glad I'm not the only "playa-hater" here, aphistis.

toofache32 said:

Just curious, but what kind of morals are you talking about with that purple hippo and the "Smacking that A##" quote?

Tell me what moral belief system you abide by because I'd sure like to be a part of it. :thumbdown:

Hey guys-

Wow..this thread definitely turned into something I did not intend! But I'm glad it did because as someone mentioned in an earlier post, this type of interchange and discussion is what I will (we all) will be faced with at dental school and afterwards. It's really nothing new--there will always be supporters of gay people and others who have different views. It's been the same story since middle school when most gay people realize that the path ahead of us--a path we had no choice about--is about to get more complex than we can imagine. Being gay (and asian) is an extremely lonely experience..it's hard to describe how alone you feel when you're in the closet, don't know who you can really trust to guard your secret, are afraid to get help for fear of being outed, and distanced from even your own parents (who in most cases are straight and don't really understand what you're going through). In the places where you spend the most time--at home, at school, or at work--all you want is to make other gay friends and allies and be around people who just let you be who you are. That's the reason I started this thread..to find friends, to find others who are probably asking themselves the same questions, who are going through a similar experience.

I agree with those of you who said that we're going to dental school to be trained as dentists. However, if you honestly plan to go to dental school and talk about and do nothing else but dentistry 24/7...I feel like you will have a pretty dull and miserable experience. Dental school inevitably is a time of growth and maturity. We will be exposed to so many new experiences, meet new students, faculty, and patients! Being able to work with people and run a dental office out in the real world requires more than just being able to drill teeth and certainly more than memorizing reactions for biochem. Sure everyone will get the work done and become dentists, but there is more. Being a great dentist requires that we understand and accept the diversity of patients we will be treating so that we can be better caregivers. This obviously requires that we communicate and be involved in activities and discussions on non-dental issues--yes, even -during- dental school!

For those of you who believe that we should only "be gay" -outside- the classroom..I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. Can you only "be straight" outside the classroom? Being gay is not only talking about gay sex or the lastest line of Prada shoes..that's just such a small part of it! Being gay is a lifestyle..it's a major part of who you are at the core. We didn't chose to be this way just as much as most of you didn't choose to be straight. Aside from who you're sleeping with, being gay/straight plays a huge role in so much of what we do and who we are. I plan to be openly gay and proud at dental school..and it's with sincere hope that the rest of you will be openly straight and proud as well! If you were planning on being a dental zombie at school, I sure hope that changes once we start in August!

Thanks for the advice, website links, and comments in this thread and for those of you who PM'ed me. For those of you who perfer to "take a stand", know that we gay people are ordinary people--just like you--we just think/act a little bit differently. Most of us are extremely nice and friendly..hard working..and looking to be happy just like everyone else. If you want to "take a stand"..I can assure you that there are far greater evils/concerns where your efforts in voicing your opinions would be highly appreciated.

Best wishes to everyone,
dentalboy

haha..wow! go dentalboy! you tell them how it is.. ;)

dentalboy- I happened to mention this thread to my aunt, and she said something very interesting. She told me that "in her day," everyone knew people certain people were gay, but nobody talked about it openly. She explained that she has seen the acceptance of homosexuals increase dramatically in her lifetime. Then she said something unusally profound, "by the time your generation is in control of things, being gay probably will not be an issue at all." I am sure it pains you to have to suffer ostricism for your sexuality, but hold fast to the fact that in the future you won't have to worry about schools that are "pro-LGBT." When that day comes, I would be happy to make a toast at your wedding. :thumbup:

Very well said, dentalboy. Best of luck at whatever school is lucky enough to have you.

warning!!! long post ahead...but had to respond to asphisis, toofache and dentalboy

One of the posters mentioned “close minded” and by that he meant people who don’t approve of homosexuals or homosexuality. Then toofache equated “close minded” with “moral”. Asphistis agreed with toofache. Thus, by inference, both toofache and asphistis believe that it is moral to disapprove of gays and not close-minded. Now, if both asphistis and toofache (and people like them) believed that being gay is not nurture but nature, then they would not make such statements. After all, how can they say being gay is immoral when people are created that way? If they said that, then being black would also be immoral. However, people like toofache and asphistis simply CHOOSE NOT to believe that it’s genetic. Those are the same people who CHOOSE NOT to believe in Darwin. And it is easy to figure out why they CHOOSE to be in a state of disbelief and fly in the face of science: Believing in the natural origin of homosexuality and Darwinian origin of homosapiens would literally destroy the complex and illogical belief system that has been indoctrinated into their minds from childhood. This is why people like asphisitis would see the science, feel the logic, hear the words, and yet still choose to disapprove. People like toofache cannot think independently, as they are fearful of anything that distances them from their social circles. People like those vote republican whether or not the candidate is good only because their parents and grandparents vote republicans. They don’t have a market of ideas…no heterogeneity in beliefs ….they all think the same and follow their ministers, priests, community leaders just like sheep and slaves. Those people would never remind themselves that morals are subjective and that what is moral for x is not necessarily moral for y. those people also play the victim: “oh, the media is so liberal and our word is never heard…..oh, whatever happened to the traditional WHITE American family…..oh, those evil pregnant teenagers are evil and want to murder their babies…oh FOX news is not conservative enough….oh, whenever, we disagree with them, they call us backwards…”

Liberals are not against disagreement. And if you believe that homosexuality is nurture and that homosexuals should not marry and that they should be treated at LOVE IN ACTION MINISTRIES, then so be it. This is America and everyone is entitled to have and express their opinions. So I am liberal and asphisits and toofache are conservative. That’s fine. We will agree to disagree. However, and that’s a BIG HOWEVER, what’s happening in the country is not mere disagreement: it is one notch short of TYRANNY! When gays get what they want politically, 2 homosexual women wed, and when 2 homosexuals wed, heterosexuals can STILL wed; nothing would violate their rights. But when conservatives get what they want politically, 2 homosexuals would not be able to wed, while 2 heteros can still wed. You see the injustice there? It’s not a matter of disagreeing. It’s a matter of injustice and discrimination! It is a matter of tyranny of the majority against the minority!

And like dentalboy says, if you really are moral and if your morals are not hypocritical and subjective, then perhaps you should “take a stand” against one of the following:

1-the obliteration of the middle class
2-the good ‘ol boy club in Washington D.C
3-fraudulent republican lobbyist: The growth of lobbyist culture is the result of a combination of an expansion of government, the control of the White House and Congress by Republicans keen to develop this part of the governmental process, and the increasing realization by companies they needed help in securing benefits and preventing damage to their interests.
4-highest teen pregnancy and out of wed-lock and poorest women’s health in Mississippi
5-president of the U.S claiming that Iraq had WMD when it did not, and acting on the godly voices he hears
6-our shameful public education system in k-12….
7- Our messy healthcare system that exists only because of the sick love affair between HMOs and conservative leadership.

Finally, to dentalboy:

I truly wish you the best and hope you find a suitable place to study dentistry. Being gay and Asian is very difficult. In fact, being an Asian male is difficult, let alone gay and Asian. Anyway, I don’t get the impression that dental schools are heterogeneous in terms of accepting LGBT. In every class, even Loma Linda, you’ll find one or 2 gays. They are mostly closeted. Besides, the health professions, especially med and dent are teeming with people like asphatis and toofache. They are not the minority at all so brace yourself. Because which d-school does not matter and because conservatives dominate med and dent, I second those who advised you to consider the location of the school. Focus on blue states and within blue states, focus on class size (you need a large class to find at least 1 male student who would agree to be your roommate or friend) and stay away from Massachusetts (liberal state but Boston HATES non-whites). Focus on NYU, Columbia, California schools, UMDNJ, university of Maryland, Penn, …don’t worry, the U.S is still the greatest country in the world and freedom is still alive and well in the land of uncle Sam.

The bad news is that the majority of Americans are like asphatis and toofache, but the good news is that it is open-minded, enlightened non-conservative men who continue to build skyscrapers and awesome cities like New York, Boston and san fran. The future is for us, and let the red states keep their villages, churches and prejudice….for the time being, take care and stay close to allies like me and Dukie;

Asphitis, for the most part, I love your posts. But this time, I was very disappointed. I had no idea you were one of them man…..

Bravo. One of the best posts I've ever read on SDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.