any literature majors out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denty

dont eat yellow snow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was a non-science major (like lit or history) and got into dental school.
My gpa is not that great with a 3.013 overall, within my major its a 3.8 and my sciences, i have to still figure it out, but i got mostly b's and c's with a couple of AB's (it was during a time that i was forced to do soemthing that i didnt want-long story).
im taking my dat at the start of september and have been studying hard. i have also been super involved with school, i did a huge program on dentistry, and want to do something with community health. Does anyone have advice if this is the right time or not to apply? i already graduated in may and will be taking science classes in the fall to show that i can do well on them. I probably will take anatomy, physics, and cell bio, and a language class for fun;)
the schools i was looking at were arizona, meharry, marquette, michigan, detroit, nevada, and nova.
does anyone have suggestions? i feel so lost amongst all the bio majors-does this mean i need to get a bio degree?

Members don't see this ad.

schools give no preference to any specific degree, as long as you meet their requirements, just make sure you do well on the DAT. I have a friend who got in with a music degree and another with a russian lit degree.

To the OP: no, you don't have to get a bio degree. You shouldn't feel lost with the biology students either - believe in yourself and apply the same work ethic and study habits that earned you your 3.8 to your science courses and you will get those grades. I don't have a biology degree and I did exactly what you are planning to do. As far as applying, if you can wrap up your remaining pre-reqs this year then I think now is a great time to apply. Go get those grades and best of luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you so much. i will be definetly be finishing the prereqs!

Engesh? Whi wood ewe want to studi Englesh? :D

I am an art history major, so I know where you guys are coming from. I think studying both science and the humanities is a great asset when applying to dents because it makes for interesting conversation during an interview, it shows you are a well rounded individual and your skills in English/history will definitely be utilized in the future (if you ever want to write a research paper, or give lectures).

:thumbup:

favabean said:
I am an art history major, so I know where you guys are coming from. I think studying both science and the humanities is a great asset when applying to dents because it makes for interesting conversation during an interview, it shows you are a well rounded individual and your skills in English/history will definitely be utilized in the future (if you ever want to write a research paper, or give lectures).

:thumbup:

Hello there, fellow art history major! Damn, there goes my dream of being the sole art historian posting on SDN.... Seriously, it's nice to know someone sharing my background is posting here as well. What is your area of emphasis and how far along are you?