Any love for Duke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There hasn't been much talk on this forum about Duke so I was just wondering what people thought about the program. Any drawbacks other than location? Anyone planning to rank them highly?

Members don't see this ad.

heartdoc said:
There hasn't been much talk on this forum about Duke so I was just wondering what people thought about the program. Any drawbacks other than location? Anyone planning to rank them highly?

Duke is a very strong program. I interviewed there and was very impressed with the PD (yay, a female at a strong academic institution), and the residents were diverse and nice. Funny, approachable chairman. Fellowships anywhere you want to go. However, I felt like a lot of the time I was there, everyone was trying to dispel the "malignant" myth which was interesting-- even if I didn't ask about it. And >50% of residents go into cardiology, which to me is a drawback because I'm all about diversity. On my tour and visit to rounds, I did feel like the residents were definitely more hardcore than many of the programs I visited. Hm... drawbacks-- not so sure about their compliance with 80 hours, and also I had some concerns about the patient population (not enough diversity, or as someone I talked to said, underserved). It's in my top 3 right now, but that may drop. To each his/her own.

Kerropi said:
Duke is a very strong program. I interviewed there and was very impressed with the PD (yay, a female at a strong academic institution), and the residents were diverse and nice. Funny, approachable chairman. Fellowships anywhere you want to go. However, I felt like a lot of the time I was there, everyone was trying to dispel the "malignant" myth which was interesting-- even if I didn't ask about it. And >50% of residents go into cardiology, which to me is a drawback because I'm all about diversity. On my tour and visit to rounds, I did feel like the residents were definitely more hardcore than many of the programs I visited. Hm... drawbacks-- not so sure about their compliance with 80 hours, and also I had some concerns about the patient population (not enough diversity, or as someone I talked to said, underserved). It's in my top 3 right now, but that may drop. To each his/her own.

Well, for me, location is actually a plus rather than a minus (although I know I am in the minority). I was expecting Duke to be much more malignant than it was -- although I loved it in so many ways, I have reservations about a few things. I also am a little leery about the high percentage going into cards. They seem fairly 80 hour compliant. I can't speak to patient population, but I know there are a heck of a lot of poor people around here, and UNC can only see so many of them...Personally, I am starting toget a little nervous because Duke is #1 on my rank list right now, and I am worried that I may not be happy there...so I would love to read as much discussion as possible before Wednesday. Thx.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!

Members don't see this ad :)
My impression of Duke is that the residents are hardcore but they also seemed happy. That may be partly due to the fact that it is a self-selected group of people. I think you will work very hard but you will most probably work very hard no matter where you go. I think the big benefit at Duke is the degree of support available ranging from the very approachable chairman to the supportive (female) program director and associate program director. :thumbup: Like Carol Ann, I would like more discussion about this program. I'm planning on ranking it #1.

I had a great experience at Duke. It didn't seem as malignant as its reputation, and I really enjoyed my two interviews (one of which was with the PD). My only drawback is the location, which is only because I am single. If I were married, I would rank it #1.

As a current Duke student, I can say that all I have for Duke is love :)

I had an awesome time as a med student--in fact started out med school thinking that I was going to be a CT surgeon and I actually liked the surgery rotation--but when I did my medicine rotation, I just had the time of my life.

And the reason I made such a switch has a lot to do with the people and the department I think. People here are just very nice, friendly, and incredibly smart. Program leadership including Dr. Goldschmidt is awesome, Dr. McNeill is one of the nicest people I know and so is Dr. Muir. Teaching also is excellent. And if you want to get into a competitive fellowship, there is a ton of research that you can get into with giants of their fields. As a result, the program produces talented physicians who really do well after their training--whether it be fellowship or academic etc.

I guess I am biased, but I love the program and I owe a lot to the department of medicine here. :)

Good luck with the match.

Alright, my mini-drama crisis is over now. Thanks for all of the reassurance. I am excited and hoping that Duke is interested in me -- and if not, I am super excited about my #2 and #3. Kind of a no lose situation!

I am a Duke resident and have absolutely enjoyed my residency thus far. It is very user friendly and the people here are happy. The PD listens to concerns of the residents and these concerns are used, when necessary, to mold the program. I am in the process of applying for fellowship and feel that regardless of where you go, people respect coming from Duke. I do admit that we work hard. However, everyone here is happy doing what we do! The patient exposure is excellent and the case burden is heavier than many other programs. When I applied for residency Duke was one of the places I felt I would like the least. However, after interviewing here I was surprised that such a great program would have residents that remained happy and totally comitted to patient care. After I interviewed they went from 12 to 1 on my rank list. I have no regrets and hope to stay here to do my fellowship. :)