Any love in the house for Boston Childrens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chimera

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With NRMP ranklist due in less than 2 days, I was wondering if there was anyone out there ranking the Boston program highly, or had any opinions that would be valuable in the 11th hour?

Members don't see this ad.

I question your love for the program since you are asking the question. I always wonder if people rank programs like this high on their lists year after year because they truely love it, or because it is Harvard and ranked #1. I am all about going to a competitive program, but I would not hesitate going to program ranked 11-25 if I thought I would be happier there.

I do see the allure of being able to interact with some of the smartest people on the planet on a daily basis, but it would lose its luster pretty quickly. I also see the allure of being able to say your going to the #1 program, but rankings change.

Now I am not saying Boston is overrated. And I am not saying that you shouldn't want to go to the best program out there. But I am saying, do not be worried about going to a competitive-but-not-top-10-program if you think you will be happier there. You will be successful regardless. What really matters if you will be enjoying yourself while doing these great things.

Geez, relax. The reason why I asked is I was wondering if any of my potentially future interns were in the SDN community (with a little luck). And yes, I do feel the program is the best match for me (spent a month there), feel I would be the happiest at, and don't think the oppertunity to interact with "some of the smartest people on the planet" would be rapidly anticlimatic.

I completely agree with you about going to "the top program" and sacraficing your happiness. I think to do so would be naive and foolish. But for me, it just so happens that I believe one of these top programs happens to fit my professional aspirations. Sorry to give you the potentially wrong impression, and convey that I was a rankings-*****.

scholes said:
I question your love for the program since you are asking the question. I always wonder if people rank programs like this high on their lists year after year because they truely love it, or because it is Harvard and ranked #1. I am all about going to a competitive program, but I would not hesitate going to program ranked 11-25 if I thought I would be happier there.

I do see the allure of being able to interact with some of the smartest people on the planet on a daily basis, but it would lose its luster pretty quickly. I also see the allure of being able to say your going to the #1 program, but rankings change.

Now I am not saying Boston is overrated. And I am not saying that you shouldn't want to go to the best program out there. But I am saying, do not be worried about going to a competitive-but-not-top-10-program if you think you will be happier there. You will be successful regardless. What really matters if you will be enjoying yourself while doing these great things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never made any accusation of you being a "rankings-*****." I didn't intend to have a cynical tone to my post. I am just being honest. And who else can be honest if some anonymous person who knows nothing about you cannot be! :D

I just love the posts where people try to compare the top three programs so they can rank their top three choices. I was just suggesting that other things are important as well, which you seem to understand.

And believe me, I was not being sarcastic about the allure of interacting with "some of the smartest people on the planet." I plan on applying to these programs for the opportunity to see what it is like. And if I have the same experience you did, I may be ranking them highly.

Good luck in the match!

No worries, perhaps I was too defensive myself as well. Good luck next year.

scholes said:
I never made any accusation of you being a "rankings-*****." I didn't intend to have a cynical tone to my post. I am just being honest. And who else can be honest if some anonymous person who knows nothing about you cannot be! :D

I just love the posts where people try to compare the top three programs so they can rank their top three choices. I was just suggesting that other things are important as well, which you seem to understand.

And believe me, I was not being sarcastic about the allure of interacting with "some of the smartest people on the planet." I plan on applying to these programs for the opportunity to see what it is like. And if I have the same experience you did, I may be ranking them highly.

Good luck in the match!