any love with a verbal 8?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

petros

anyone out there getting acceptances with a verbal score of 8?

Members don't see this ad.

i know people who have gotten awesome acceptances with a 9 on verbal. "awesome" being top-ten schools, harvard included.

the lesson being don't sweat the mcat too much. applications are (usually) a whole person process. there are those schools that screen apps with a strict mathematical formuala at first, but past those it's you, not a single number that counts.

[This message has been edited by dxn (edited 03-10-2001).]

That being said, a verbal score of 8 requires you to excel in another part of your application to compensate in order to be competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got alotta love with a verbal 8. Not really alot, but I got into my top choice.

8v8p9b

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by wooo:
I got alotta love with a verbal 8. Not really alot, but I got into my top choice.

8v8p9b

how did you manage this??? i'm sweating bullets about getting in to med school, thinking i need 11's in all sections. i could sure use some consolation. how was your gpa? what else made you think your application was particularly attractive?

first off, my top choice was my state school. Average MCAT scores are around 27-29 for most schools so this means there are scores above and below the average.

I know of several people over the years getting in with 23 and 24 MCAT scores, but they all had really good gpa's and the such.

The rest of my app was really good, and I am a non-trad with a family and a full-time job. That kinda made the whole interview thing play into my hands.

Good luck and never ever give up on your dreams.

A friend of mine got into Harvard with a 8-9-10 this year. The 9 was verbal.

you know someone that got into Harvard with a 27 on the MCAT?? That sounds really unusual. Is their uncle dean of admissions or something like that? What did the rest of their application look like (GPA, etc)?

Actually on another forum, another person was mentioning that she got in with a 28 to Harvard. No, the person does not have an uncle on the panel, I believe. She went to a top 20 college and has a 3.5+ gpa. She has extra currics, did some volunteer help in another country, and I assume good recs, but she is not a Oxford scholar or a leader in cancer research nor did she launch her own personal mission to save the 3rd world. Basically, she is very humble and has a great personality, not to mention she is a bilingual URM.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Christiangirl:
Actually on another forum, another person was mentioning that she got in with a 28 to Harvard. No, the person does not have an uncle on the panel, I believe. She went to a top 20 college and has a 3.5+ gpa. She has extra currics, did some volunteer help in another country, and I assume good recs, but she is not a Oxford scholar or a leader in cancer research nor did she launch her own personal mission to save the 3rd world. Basically, she is very humble and has a great personality, not to mention she is a bilingual URM.

Petros,

There is another thread on this forum that discusses US allopathic schools that have lower average MCATs. What state do you live in? If you live in one of these states, an MCAT Verbal of 8 will not exclude you from medical school acceptance.

What is an average MCAT score?

Christiangirl,

No offense to anyone, but I think the key thing is URM. I know many pre-meds from Stanford (myself included) who had great GPAs and stellar MCAT scores but recived no love from Harvard.

I got into my top choice with a 9 on verbal (it was one of my state schools.) I also got interviews at several out of state schools, private as well as public, so do not dispair about a verbal 8. So long as the other MCAT sections are strong (10+) and you have extracurriculars, you will be fine.

I have two friends who both got 8s on verbal. One is going to Tufts, the other to some school in Arizona.

I am curious to know what the other stats are on these people who are getting in with verbal 8's. Does the same thing apply with PS 8 and high verbal and bio?

Members don't see this ad :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by praying4MD:
Does the same thing apply with PS 8 and high verbal and bio?

No. I'm not saying that you can't get in with a PS 8 but the two scenarios are not equal. A low verbal is better than a low PS or BS.

SEEK MCAT -- PROFESSOR MEAT

i'd disagree that a low ps is better than a low verbal. throughout my kaplan review i was always told by my teachers that med schools look most heavily on verbal score. apparently of the three sections, it's the best predictor of future success in med school. i guess it's kinda like the psat/sat. high verbals are always better than high math. (isn't the psat score weighted with verbal 2x that of math? -it's been WAY too long for me to remember). this is not to say that and 8 or 9 is horrible and will ruin your chances of med school admission. like several of us have mentioned, people get into great schools with those scores. i too know someone accepted to harvard this year with a 9 verbal.

Again, could someone please clarify the other stats on these people getting in with Verbal 8-9's? (GPA, extracurric's, etc.)

many of you know about my MCAT fiasco...so I won't go into it again...but just to let you know, they did FINALLY find our original tests (hence, ORIGINAL scores) and I ended up having to report those to the schools I applied to. I got accepted to UF on a 11V,9P,7B!!! Just goes to show you that OTHER things on your app can make a HUGE difference on whether or not you get accepted! It's NOT all MCAT scores!
wink.gif

PS- my "retest" scores were 10V,9P,9B...so maybe they just averaged the two....(avg 10.5V,9P,8B)

[This message has been edited by Cobragirl (edited 03-14-2001).]

8v8p9b m

4.0 w/honors

president medical arts club & pres. beta beta beta, member of the honors assoc.

about 40-50 hours shadowing

full-time job for first 2+ years then part-time after that.

non-trad, married 12 years

organized blood drives for the red cross.

I know of others with 24-25 scores with none of te above except 3.85-3.95 gpa that got in.

I also know of flat out rejections with 3.99 (one b)and 25mcat. (two people)

I know of one person on the alt list two years running with 3.97 and 24mcat.

I think personality shows more than we think in the interview process.

(everyone mentioned was a biology major)

[This message has been edited by wooo (edited 03-15-2001).]

I'm fairly certain I've posted my stats before, but here goes. . .

3.73 gpa (3.7 science)
12B 8P 8V and 10B 11P 8V MCATs

*ICU volunteer for ~2 years
*lab assistant and then lab tech for 2 years(1 paper submitted, 1 more on the way)
*elementary school tutor for a brief period of time

accepted at 2 schools so far

Thanks for all the stats, it really helps to try to assess my own chances. Wow, the competition is fierce. I am very impressed with a lot of the people here. Good luck to all.

My stats are similar to Woo's

I got a verbal score of 8, and also got into my top choice school, which was UNC.

-Worked in the hospital as a Nurse Assistant for 3 years to pay for undergrad

-Founder and President of Salem College Premedical Honor Society (which is now Alpha Epsilon Delta)...this was not on my AMCAS

-Also member of other honor societies like Beta Beta Beta

-GPA: 3.6

It is possible to get in with a Verbal of 8, but you will probably need something else to set you apart from all the other applicants...An answer to the question "why should we let you in here?" Find that, and you will probably find your way in to medical school!!

------------------
~Pegasus~

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MEAT:
No. I'm not saying that you can't get in with a PS 8 but the two scenarios are not equal. A low verbal is better than a low PS or BS. SEEK MCAT -- PROFESSOR MEAT

doc p.,

In all seriousness, can you share with us what you base that factoid on. It is my understanding that the best (or only depending on what study you read) correlation between med school success and either board scores or med school performance was the verbal section.

SEEK TRUTH
MAAT

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MAAT:
doc p.,

In all seriousness, can you share with us what you base that factoid on. It is my understanding that the best (or only depending on what study you read) correlation between med school success and either board scores or med school performance was the verbal section.

SEEK TRUTH
MAAT

MAAT

I'm not sure if you really want me to answer or if you want me to provide you with nidus for attack.
tongue.gif
This isn't meant as an insult.

I'll bite, most adcoms don't care about the correlation between the verbal and board scores. Just as there was a study at UCLA that showed MCAT scores were not a good predictor of clinical competency and//or board scores. The fact is that despite what the studies show, MCAT scores are still one of the most important things that adcoms look at in addition to grades. Specifically, BS and PS scores. I am not saying Verbal scores are not important, but they aren't as important as the BS and PS sections. All things being equal, I'd take a candidate with an 8 on verbal before I took one with an on BS and PS. Especially if they had struggled through some of their science courses.

Struggles through Physio and O-chem in combination with and 8 on the PS or BS section says a lot. The same struggles with a high PS or BS but a low VS says that his classes may have been difficult but he understands the material. I know many people who share this view.

Doesn't really matter if you disagree. In the end you guys will study the same for all sections. Even if one section is weighted more than the other you will still study the same (I hope). So, learning what is more important to the adcoms is not really that important. What is important is to just study and prepare the best that you can and let the chips fall where they fall. Good luck.

P.S. I've made no secret than I am doc p. Can't you give us one of your former usernames? How about one of your peers? I played nice and answered your question, how about you throw me something.

In all seriousness, let's call a truce. We've both done wrong to this forum. I can certainly enjoy a little fun but I think we have both taken it too far. I don't want to go into what we've done but we both know. Anyway, good luck with your medical endeavors.

P.S.S. Didn't you at least chuckle once at MEAT's posts?

Take care

SEEK TRUCE
MEAT

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MEAT:
MAAT

I'm not sure if you really want me to answer or if you want me to provide you with nidus for attack.
tongue.gif
This isn't meant as an insult.

Yes, I really did want you to answer the question.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
I'll bite, most adcoms don't care about the correlation between the verbal and board scores. Just as there was a study at UCLA that showed MCAT scores were not a good predictor of clinical competency and//or board scores. The fact is that despite what the studies show, MCAT scores are still one of the most important things that adcoms look at in addition to grades. Specifically, BS and PS scores. I am not saying Verbal scores are not important, but they aren't as important as the BS and PS sections. All things being equal, I'd take a candidate with an 8 on verbal before I took one with an on BS and PS. Especially if they had struggled through some of their science courses.

Struggles through Physio and O-chem in combination with and 8 on the PS or BS section says a lot. The same struggles with a high PS or BS but a low VS says that his classes may have been difficult but he understands the material. I know many people who share this view. •

Hmmm...that's just not what I had heard from other schools so I was curious about your opinion. Do you think it has something to do with background, meaning there is more leeway for a lower verbal if english isn't your first language? Could it also be more of a west coast thing?

Doesn't really matter if you disagree. In the end you guys will study the same for all sections. Even if one section is weighted more than the other you will still study the same (I hope). So, learning what is more important to the adcoms is not really that important. What is important is to just study and prepare the best that you can and let the chips fall where they fall. Good luck. •

I agree on the studying thing, I was just curious.

P.S. I've made no secret than I am doc p. Can't you give us one of your former usernames? How about one of your peers? I played nice and answered your question, how about you throw me something.

In all seriousness, let's call a truce. We've both done wrong to this forum. I can certainly enjoy a little fun but I think we have both taken it too far. I don't want to go into what we've done but we both know. Anyway, good luck with your medical endeavors.

P.S.S. Didn't you at least chuckle once at MEAT's posts?

Take care

SEEK TRUCE
MEAT</font>

doc. p.,

I really wish I could throw you something, but I honestly, really and truly, swear on my grandmothers grave, don't have anything to give you. I don't expect you to believe me, but this is my one and only user name (well outside of Im_not_paranoid, Name_that_user and Who_am_I_Really -- but you already knew that)

As for the peer comment, PLT took it totally out of context. The point I was making was that YOU will be her and my peer one day and she should care how we behave. She was making the point that people's comments on a web board don't matter. The theme of many of my post runs very contrary to that. I'm not in cahoots with others here. I don't know who superwoman/mello/homes/beatriceann or anyone else here really is.

I moved from the east coast a few weeks ago. My roommate does occasionally post here, but she thinks we should all be committed and steers clear of the whole thing. She didn't even know it was me at first. Prior to moving I only had access to a computer in the library, so I read but didn't post. No grand conspiracy. Just perfect timing.

I was surprised when Bea showed up, and I was really taken back by some of her remarks. She was out of line. I don't know who missbug is either. You may be right. She might be one of the superfriends, but she quite possibly could just be an ignorant psychiatrist who spews misinformed opinions. Unfortunately this board proves time and again that there are many uninformed people in the world.

I usually agree with most of your post, doc. It's your delivery I sometimes have trouble with. I don't agree that I did wrong by this board. I am just what I have said I am all along -- a passerby who thinks you should set a good example. And while I accept your olive branch, I reserve my right to give you a hard time when you get out of line.

I would also appreciate it if you called off your henchmen...I don't find LT amusing. With you it is all in good fun. I think LT takes things too seriously. You and I both know he didn't see my deleted post and that it didn't have anything inflamatory about DOs in it anyway (remember doc. we are being truthful now), but he lied for you.

And Yes, I thought the MEAT ID was the funniest thing I've seen here for a long time. Outside of your spreading across threads that I'm a DO hater, frankly, I've been fairly amused at this whole thing.

good luck with your practice doc.

MAAT

MAAT, I'm just going to stick to the topic at hand. We could argue all day about the other topics. Even if we decide to argue these points, let's reserve it for our infamous thread. I think we're close to the SDN record.
wink.gif

It may be a California thing. Not to sound snooty, but as a whole we have the students with the best statistics (I'm not saying this indicates future success). As such, we require strong scores in ALL categories to even receive an interview. Everyone knows how difficult it is to get into a California Medical School.

You will get no love (well...you'll at least be single for a long long time) from a California school with an 8 on any section. Look at the breakdown in average MCAT scores by section. The Verbal section is consistently lower (at least with the CA schools, I haven't checked the rest). I think this shows a greater emphasis on the other sections.

I don't this has anything with English being a second language. I've spent my whole life here. I hope that covers it. Say hello to Mellow for me.
smile.gif
I remember her just moving here too. Maybe I'm just getting senile in my old age. Good thing physicians don't have to take the MCAT again.

I'd be happy to reappear on the other thread. Californians love to be the best. I would love to beat the SDN record (minus insults and cheap shots on both teams).

Can you believe that humorless weenie thinks I'm Tim?
smile.gif
I purposely mimicked his style just to get a rise. Dentists....too easy.
tongue.gif

BIG MAN MEAT, DDS [hon.]