Any low stats success stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imKarim

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with lower stats (3.2ish) (3.6 postbach) 18AA received a couple rejections at this point of previous cycles and was still able to get an interview/acceptance post dec? I have applied very widely and have gotten 4 rejections so far and no interviews. Any success stories?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you only take the DAT once? Retaking it and getting a masters will definitely boost your chances. I think it’s rare to get accepted with ur stats tbh, still could happen. Chances are just really low.

Reactions: 1 user
Always have a back up plan. I applied late last year with a 3.5+ gpa and an 19AA 19TS. I got two post dec interviews and then got waitlisted two those two schools. And sadly I ended up never getting into those two schools. Throughout last cycle I tried to do my best to keep the schools updated and even sent in a retake of my unofficial dat scores in hopes of getting in last minute. Honestly taking another gap year isn’t too bad since you can always improve your application! :) I was in the same position as you last year looking at these forums looking for success stories online. It honestly made me more sad and helpless because they didn’t apply to me. I would take some time throughout this cycle to rebuild your app or have a specific plan in mind to prepare for the worst. When I was waitlisted in March I finally decided to study again and retake my DAT in June to get a 22AA and 22TS. In addition, I was able to add more dental related experiences. I reapplied this cycle in mid August and was I very fortunate to get atleast one acceptance so far. I’m still not done with this cycle yet because I have post-dec interviews too so wish me luck!

It’s still early in this cycle so I would still stay hopeful, but also have a back up plan. The key is keep yourself busy and focus on yourself and not what other people are doing because this is your dental school journey. I did this by getting off of social media and spending more time with my friends and family. I personally think sdn is only a helpful if you’re looking for additional resources for interviews and maybe DAT advice, but sometimes I feel like some people are shady on this forum lie about there stats. I think the real application pool is a lot more diverse and not as many people are willing to post their stories.

I wish you the very best this cycle since it is still early in the cycle for post dec interviews and you might hear back! Until then good luck on your studies and have a happy holiday!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea don’t feel so bad, last year I was soooooo anxious and on edge when I applied and didn’t hear anything for 7+ months and finally got all rejections/ghosting in the end.

After that, it becomes easier to accept the fact that you just gotta keep going and not be too hung up about it. Get off of social media. It’s a sh**ty place.

Kinda like asking someone out for a date on those dating apps, but then not being successful first time through. After a while someone will see how unique and special you are! So just keep improving and keep your head up!

Always have a back up plan. I applied late last year with a 3.5+ gpa and an 19AA 19TS. I got two post dec interviews and then got waitlisted two those two schools. And sadly I ended up never getting into those two schools. Throughout last cycle I tried to do my best to keep the schools updated and even sent in a retake of my unofficial dat scores in hopes of getting in last minute. Honestly taking another gap year isn’t too bad since you can always improve your application! :) I was in the same position as you last year looking at these forums looking for success stories online. It honestly made me more sad and helpless because they didn’t apply to me. I would take some time throughout this cycle to rebuild your app or have a specific plan in mind to prepare for the worst. When I was waitlisted in March I finally decided to study again and retake my DAT in June to get a 22AA and 22TS. In addition, I was able to add more dental related experiences. I reapplied this cycle in mid August and was I very fortunate to get atleast one acceptance so far. I’m still not done with this cycle yet because I have post-dec interviews too so wish me luck!

It’s still early in this cycle so I would still stay hopeful, but also have a back up plan. The key is keep yourself busy and focus on yourself and not what other people are doing because this is your dental school journey. I did this by getting off of social media and spending more time with my friends and family. I personally think sdn is only a helpful if you’re looking for additional resources for interviews and maybe DAT advice, but sometimes I feel like some people are shady on this forum lie about there stats. I think the real application pool is a lot more diverse and not as many people are willing to post their stories.

I wish you the very best this cycle since it is still early in the cycle for post dec interviews and you might hear back! Until then good luck on your studies and have a happy holiday!
I really appreciate your honesty. I am already preparing for the worst. I am a little nervous about retaking the DAT and not improving my score, thats really my worst fear. what was your experience like, retaking the DAT? I'm also already registered to take upper level science classes to hopefully improve my GPA.

You need to retake your DAT, that’s what is holding you back. Honestly your GPA can be competitive at many programs.

I really appreciate your honesty. I am already preparing for the worst. I am a little nervous about retaking the DAT and not improving my score, thats really my worst fear. what was your experience like, retaking the DAT? I'm also already registered to take upper level science classes to hopefully improve my GPA.

That sounds good ☺️ You’re already way ahead preparing in advance. Retaking the dat was a pain especially since I was still on the waitlist I remember sign up for a test in May and changing my test date two times until I scheduled it to the last week of June.

When retaking the test I wanted to avoid repeating the same mistakes I made last year by not giving myself enough time. What I did was giving myself 3 months to study everyday for about 5 to 6 hours a day at a public library( I purchased a library card at a nicer public library because I didn’t like the study environment in my city). I used the same resources as the last time I took the test ( datbootcamp, chad’s videos, cliffs ap bio, and dat destroyer) except for the Kaplan class. Honestly I wouldn’t recommend Kaplan bc personally it wasn’t super helpful to me. The main difference was that I made sure I utilized my resources efficiently and I specifically touched up on my weak areas (bio, gen chem, and reading comprehension). I definitely had to relearn lots of the material over again and I was honestly so scared of retaking the test. I had lots of doubt that I would score lower every time I didn’t get the score I wanted on the datbootcamp tests. You should note that you shouldn’t get too caught up on doing well on the practice test as much as reviewing each and every question thoroughly to make sure you understand it.

The other things I did differently was reviewing my notes everyday and googling bio questions and watching youtube videos to help me visualize. I read lots of random science articles. On the last weeks before my test I stimulated the test and kept on practicing. Using earplugs helps a lot in getting rid of distractions!

My science background is not as strong since I majored in public health and my reading comprehension isn’t as good since English is my second language. On my second dat those two scores were my highest (from 17/18 to 23/23).

You can overcome obstacles if you set your mind to it so don’t be afraid of starting over again. ☺️ I wish you the best this cycle and although I hope you don’t have to take that dreadful dat again I know that if you do try all of your hard work will pay off and it’s definitely worth it if dentistry is what you truly want to pursue! Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 users