Any luck finding a DO to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Sum Day

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a call today from a DO's nurse, I think...maybe she was someone else...anyway, not important. It was cool! Now, I can observe the real deal. Anyone else get lucky? I had to go through the darn phonebook....felt like a telemarketer...:p

Members don't see this ad.

I looked for a DO in the phonebook too. Luckily the first one I called told me to come in the next day for a mini interview. I felt odd doing it that way, but whatever...it worked and it was worth it. :D

I went to one of the schools alumni web page last week and e-mailed a current resident who listed herself as someone willing to help students/alumni. No response. I sent out a second e-mail to a different person today so hopefully I get a response in a couple of days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I called DO's on my insurance plan. That way, when it came time for a physical, I could have him do it and let the insurance pay :) Plus, my insurance plan listed the schools they graduated from and I found a DO that graduated from what was at the time my number one choice.

I guess I am lucky that I go to church with three DO's who have an almost exclusive DO practice so i have been lucky to shadow a handful of DO's several times in the last year. most DO's I have found to be really helpful in getting the DO word out. In fact most are willing to write a letter of recomendation after shadowing at least thats been my experience.:clap: :clap:

Finally....found a couple of DO's willing to let me shadow them. I had gone through a list of three previous DO's with no luck. Then I got in touch with a recent LECOM alumni who is willing to let me shadow her in the ED and later write a LOR. Also, today I stopped in at a local FP and talked to a DO. He's letting me shadow him in two weeks and will write a LOR afterwards. It's nice to have one less worry.

This summer I ran into the same problem of finding a DO to shadow, so I decided to write up a brief letter telling a little about myself. It included where I went to school, what year I was, and that I was seeking to find someone to let me shadow them and stressed the importance of shadowing experience before I could apply to medical school. I dropped it off at EVERY DO office in my city. I went from one day having nothing, to shadowing three of my hometown's DOs because they all were willing to give me a chance to shadow them. So, I would suggest doing something of the sort.
Good luck.

For those of you that cold-called--Did you call and ask to shadow, or did you explain that you need a LOR? I've tracked down a few DOs in my area, but I feel kinda weird shadowing for a day and then asking for a LOR... Do most DOs realize that we're after LORs when we ask to shadow?

Originally posted by sarah_viola
For those of you that cold-called--Did you call and ask to shadow, or did you explain that you need a LOR? I've tracked down a few DOs in my area, but I feel kinda weird shadowing for a day and then asking for a LOR... Do most DOs realize that we're after LORs when we ask to shadow?

I was seeing a DO for a MVA injury and slipped in that I was interested in medicine and specifically the DO track. He offered to let me shadow and asked if I was going to need a LOR. I guess I had it easy. Here's a suggestion: talk to the receptionists first. Let them know that you are interested and they will at least give you an indication of how receptive that physician is to such things. You may not even need to talk to the doc to find out that he is unwilling to let you shadow.

Good luck,

WannabeDO